Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Platesetter!

Options
It's been mentioned on here a few times, but what's the best way to fix a broken off platesetter leg? One of mine broke off when I tapped it on the side of the egg. I store it inside the egg when I'm not using it, and it happened as I was taking it out to prepare some fillets and grilled artichokes. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Your break is in a bad spot. Chances of it holding will be slim. You can try a high heat epoxy.
    I would cut off the other 2 legs and make a tri shaped pizza stone.
    Pick up a XL Woo Ring or Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store.
    You can still use your cut down stone with both these options.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg/xl-accessories/

Both are better options than buying a new platesetter for your XL.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Thanks, @Photo Egg - I figured I'd have to replace it with something, just hoping not to have to right now. Had my eye on a woo for a while anyway, guess it's time to pull the trigger.

In the meantime, it'll hang on legs up, although wobbley. Luckily I have a good friend with an XL who will let me borrow his for a birthday party cook this weekend. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    JB Weld epoxy will work. I did the same thing to me Platesetter years ago and put the leg back on with JB Weld.  It's been humming along like that for the last 3 years.
  • gabriegger
    Options
    +1 @EagleIII what he said.  JB Weld on mine a while back.  Still standng
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171329/drunken-turn-stumble-broken-leg#latest

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Might talk to your dealer. Sometimes they are willing to make accidents a warranty.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Do a price/value comparison of:

1) BGE replacement ... assuming that you're out of warranty.  If within warranty, is there a smoke stain in part of the crack ... the picture seems to show one?  If there is a smoke stain, then it started to crack awhile ago and your tapping the leg simply finished off the inevitable.

2) CI plate setter ... expensive, but should last forever ... plus can use as a gridle

3) CGS set up ...

Also, seriously consider what @Photo Egg suggested.  Cut the legs off the broken plate setter and you have three "lifts" for raised direct.  Cut the tabs off the "hidden" center pizza stone or indirect stone for a Woo ... check the dimensions to be sure.  Cut the remaining pieces into small squares to lift the drip pan off the plate setter.

Here's what 20 minutes, an angle grinder with a masonry blade, and a broken large plate setter yielded ...

I'm keeping my eye open for an XL plate setter that has a broken leg like yours.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    +1 @EagleIII what he said.  JB Weld on mine a while back.  Still standng
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171329/drunken-turn-stumble-broken-leg#latest
    So much of the success depends on where the break is.
    Your break was not in a direct weight bearing area. You were very lucky in your location. The above break is all weight bearing and on a much larger and heavier XL platesetter.

For the price of JB Weld...would be worth a try? Sure, why not. There is always a chance. 
    I have 2 broken XL stones that broke similar to above. JB Weld failed after one cook on both my stones. The stress on this area is high. 

Your break being only half of one leg is the best possible place for a break to happen. Very little direct stress and lower heat being that far from center mass. Glad you are still cooking on yours.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pinballLooking
    Options

I would drill both sides of the crack and insert maybe 4 small roll pins. Then JB weld the roll pins and the crack.

That way the pins are there for strength and the JB weld is just bounding it all together.

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
     Glad you are still cooking on yours.

Hadn't had a chance to try cooking on it just yet. This happened right before a direct cook and haven't gone indirect just yet. I set it up to see if it'll hang on and prop up my grid, it works, but I'm using a loaner for a cook this weekend... don't want anything to go wrong when I'm cooking for around 30 people. 

I think, upon the recommendations listed here, I might go ahead and cut the legs off and get a woo. Been wanting to do some wok'n anyway. Wife will be fine with it after I cook for her.  =)

BGE XL- Tomball, TX