Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs Help - too dry

I'm a pretty experienced Egger and use it multiple times per week.  However, I seem to have lost my touch with beef ribs.  The last 3 or so times I've cooked them, they've come out much more dry than I would have liked.  Any suggestions?

My set up has been indirect, raised, around 250 and no foiling for about 5 hours.  No significant temp spikes and usually by about hour 4, the ribs temp is around 185.

So, should I go lower (which might extend the cooking time) or higher, closer to turbo style for a shorter cooking time.  I'm inclined to go higher because they just seem to get drier as the cook extends.  Anyone have turbo-like beef ribs experience?

And, the ribs have come from multiple sources - all good.  These aren't the Walmart ones, although I have done those in the past too.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• They're undercooked. Just cook until they prove like butta and you'll be golden. Forget temp, but it'll be closer to 200. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2016
    Keep going. I find beef ribs like to ride as high as 215 before getting fully rendered. They are dry because they are undercooked. I've done them anywhere from 250-350 and they only real key is cook them till they are jell-o like. I find them to be in the 205-215 range usually when this happens.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Toothpick test for the finish.  As above- the proverbial "probes like buttah" feel and you are there.  Never have checked a meat temp with any rib cook-trust the feel.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Well, the meat has been tender (not fall apart tender, but fork tender), but the outside ends up like beef jerky in places and so dry it's crunchy, and not in a good way like a bark.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    What cut of beef ribs?  Do you have any pics?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    cssmd27 said:
    Well, the meat has been tender (not fall apart tender, but fork tender), but the outside ends up like beef jerky in places and so dry it's crunchy, and not in a good way like a bark.
    I've had that issue with pork ribs before. Are you using just a platesetter or other ceramic heat blocker - without some sort of drip pan?  The radiant heat off my platesetter seemed to contribute to my problem. Now I put a few foil balls on the platesetter as a spacer then a foil pan to make sure there are multiple obstacles between the fire and the meat.  The rising heat onto the meat was the problem. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Legume said:
    I 2nd this question. I find "back" ribs to get crunchy and never get tender a lot of times.

I think of beef ribs and my mind goes to "dino" bones. Which are beef chuck short ribs or plate short ribs. (namp 130 and 123a)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
        While I use tenderness (tooth pick test) as my endpoint for beef ribs, I usually check temp too just because.  I've never had any probe tender at below 190, most of go just north of 200.   I smoke them at 275, cook times are often pretty long. 

I LOVE beef ribs :) 
  • I just did some short ribs and they came out great. The egg ran a little hotter than I normally do but no big deal. Here is the graph of my cook so you can compare to your own experience. https://myflameboss.com/cooks/14257
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    If they are drying out, try spritzing with water during the cook.  That will keep your bark from burning and dring out. I never have to spritz short ribs but have spritzed back ribs in the past.   As others have stated,  probe test never fails. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I did a batch of back ribs tonight that turned out pretty respectable. My method:  platesetter legs up, 250 for 2hrs, 1hr foiled, 30 to 45 for sauce. Meat side up never turning. I get pretty good consistency with this method. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Thatgrimguy
    td66snrf said:
    I did a batch of back ribs tonight that turned out pretty respectable. My method:  platesetter legs up, 250 for 2hrs, 1hr foiled, 30 to 45 for sauce. Meat side up never turning. I get pretty good consistency with this method. 
    I agree, with back ribs wrapping makes a huge difference.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Legume said:
    I 2nd this question. I find "back" ribs to get crunchy and never get tender a lot of times.

I think of beef ribs and my mind goes to "dino" bones. Which are beef chuck short ribs or plate short ribs. (namp 130 and 123a)
    These have been back ribs recently.  I think this may be the problem with my extended technique.  Will try at higher temp, shorter during the dry smoke phase then foil for the last bit.

Thanks for everyone weighing in on this subject.  I was getting pretty frustrated with my results!