Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Valentines Day - Are you THAT guy?

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262

Just wondering, do you participate - expensive dinner, flowers, chocolates etc

or....

Have you gotten your wife / girlfriend on board with the whole "manufactured holiday" way of thinking.

If you happen to have a huge valentines fail story, I'm sure that would be enjoyable for all.
Phoenix 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not that guy. I'm the fat guy. As such, my wife (along with myself) is getting treated to all the chargrilled oysters and Royal red shrimp she can eat tonight. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Not me.
    Our anniversary lands a couple of days before Valentine's day so I get a free pass on this one  ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @SciAggie - damn man that looks good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SciAggie - damn man that looks good!
    Thanks friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I do it as I see fit: read lazy. 

I haven't bought a card or flowers. Probably won't. 

I dont feel bad though and she won't. She's working all day and I'm watching kids and cleaning house. I'll have a 10oz SRF ribeye filet on her plate and she had a new farmhouse kitchen table and chairs and a bench coming next week so I think she's covered. 

Screw the $6 card. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Only one gift per year. Her birthday. She says save the money on the crap holidays and get me something nice once a year. Works for us. She bought my XL one year. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Nope. We will have been happily married 50 years this summer and have never gone out of our way on Valentine's Day - it's just the way we are. 
    I do have a funny story though that may have started this whole non-gifting thing of ours. It was our first year of marriage right out of college and we still were just getting by. I bought her a box of chocolates and still being the naive person I was then I left it in the front seat of my old MGA roadster while I ran in to another store. YUP! someone stole it and I didn't have the jack to buy another! I remember being sad explaining that to my understanding wife that night, and for years thereafter it turned to humorous dialogue of "someone stole your candy again!" 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I thought we were on the same page with the manufactured holiday thing for our first V day.

I get her a card every year now.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    A card and roses every Valentines day.  Then fine home cooked dinner.  Tonight it's simple:  prime filets, asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed mushrooms.  And champagne...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    What do guys want most for Valentine's Day...for it to go away.  I am firmly in that camp.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We don't do anything. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We do nothing, but I check to make sure every holiday anyway. 

Me: "did you buy me a card?"

Her:"no"

"good"
    sigh of relief
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I'm sending mariachi to serenade her at work tomorrow. Go big, or go home.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm a romantic

Phoenix 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I made some Macarons. But wait, I'm single. Sh!t. Either way, it gave me something to do as it was -12°F outside.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    A simple card. And some really good ribeye's tonight.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Ordered king crab from Alaska, it was fantastic and less than a fancy meal out
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • JJ4473
    JJ4473 Posts: 12
    Options
    I buy a card...I'm lucky, my wife thinks the day is a joke and tells me not to buy flowers.  "Save your $ and take me on vacation."  Ha!  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Nope. Mine's working today. Usually just cook dinner for us, but I do that everyday anyways. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    We do nothing. I'm cooking a roast on the egg but I would do that most other Sunday's anyway. The cooking part, not necessarily roast. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I am quite the lucky man......planning on taking my lady out for a nice dinner. While she was getting ready, she peaks down the stairs with a pair of crotchless panties in hand. About to get excited, she informed me that our maniac rescue (dog) had gotten ahold of them.....and wern't purchased with me in mind. Well its just another Valentines Day for me.
    Maddie is quite the pup brother!  Had us laughing out loud!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is the day My Beautiful Wife got up early, fixed me coffee, made me a huge breakfast, to which she brought me while I was still in bed. Waffles and scrambled eggs covered in Bacon. She then made wild and passionate love to me. Then afterwards, she got my shower ready, while she cleaned the dishes, and started on tonight's meal. She repeatedly has told me how lucky she is, and she thanks the powers that be that she is my wife.
    Then I wake up, because she nudged me to go fix coffee.
    I did get MBW a card, spent a buck at the party store.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CMCordial
    Options
    I'm at a wedding in Arizona today. So while she still received her spa gift for back in Colorado, I got to enjoy some pool and sun on the Arizona state campus, and that was a treat enough!

You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
    Lg, Mini & ol Webber
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    We stopped in to Eataly for dinner and grabbed a few odds and ends, then went to the auto show.  Very romantic!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I was away all last week.  Surprised the wife with an edible arrangement while I was gone.  Tonight is Beef Tenderloin and Maine Lobster on the egg.
    Milton, GA.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    We kind of split the middle.  We always get each other a card, and do usually get a gift for the house or each other that we discuss.  For example, this year we want to get ourselves and our daughter outside more (not just 'run around in the back yard while my wife and I drink wine on the deck') so everyone got a new pair of hiking boots for Valentine's Day.

For food, we never go out, so I usually cook something that is more expensive or time consuming than a regular dinner.  Also, the wine we open tends to be more expensive than the bottle that is opened on your average Saturday.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I picked up a couple bunches of flowers from Trader Joe's on Friday.  She wants to know (a) I thought about it, and (b) did something.  And she's fine with not paying 10x the normal price for flowers just because its Feb 14.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    Happily divorced