Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt & Pepper. Has it became cliche?

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nope. 
    No other seasoning does what salt does. It's the only chemical reaction among seasonings. All others are added flavors. But salt is actually doing work

pepper?  It may not be salt, but it is chief among the others
    This is spot on. S&P are the kings. Cannot do without them. Nothing wrong with the other flavorings though. IMO. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I think it's a matter of personal preference.  
    When it comes to rubs, marinades, injections, wood, lump, smoke profile, doneness, slathers, condiments, etc etc, the above quoted is número uno and all that matters in the end when cooking for ones self. However when cooking for others, it's a whole new ballgame.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The classics never go out of style.  S&P on beef is more than good enough.  It's great!    Pork, chicken ... I use other things.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Came across a useful clarification the other day. "Seasoning" is just salt and pepper. "Flavoring" is everything else.

So, if you have something that already is quite flavorful, such as a well smoked piece of fat beef, S&P may even be going overboard, tho' a pepper crust adds an essential bit of crunch.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have made my own general purpose rub and use it almost on everything. Due to the preparation involving marinade or brining certain proteins, I use that process for the addition of salt.
    The rub I use is heavy on the garlic, onion powder, coarse ground black pepper, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and a touch of cayenne. If I do not brine or marinate, I will add coarse ground sea salt, in very small quantities. 
    Usually turns out ok.
    I have used other rubs, and they are very good, but for the cost, and consistency I like mine. Did I mention I am cheap? In the style of Dixie, of course!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Man, I think I received every DP rub ever created for Christmas last year...I'm trying to come up with excuses to use fancy rubs on ANYTHING!  But, to answer your question- im a rub guy.  I love the various flavors...but really it is mostly because trying out different rubs is part of the fun for me.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I never use just S&P.  I have too many rubs from the sauce and rub exchange to use up. Lol!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think, on a quality brisket, the rub makes very little difference. The S/P gives great bark, and provides all the meat needs.  But after 6-12 hours in smoke, some time wrapped in butcher paper. I don't find the rub has near the effect on the flavor of a brisket that it does on pulled pork (Mostly because I add more after pulling) chicken, or ribs.  

That said, I've only ever done one S/P brisket just to see the hype. I'll stick with my SPOG (made with 5pepper blend)  Or oakridge black ops
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Salt is a must and I love pepper so they are in a lot of my homemade rubs. However I normally have 6-12 other herbs and spices to go with it. May not be for others but we like it. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SGH
    Options
    The classics never go out of style.  
    I agree. S&P is the base for just about everything. And no doubt if you combine just salt, pepper, meat and heat, you get good results. But I'm curious, everyone's go to answer is now salt and pepper, I just wonder how many are actually following their on advice. To me salt and pepper is a must on just about everything. However I'm a cayenne freak and can't imagine not using it. Sure you can argue that cayenne is a pepper, however the rumor is salt and black pepper only. By far and large I'm just curious if salt and pepper is really most folks go to rub for all things now. The only thing that I can think of that I use just S&P on is grits and French fries. Heck I even hit them with cayenne at times.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    On good cuts of beef its salt only,everything else gets either commercial rubs or a mix out of my spice cabinet 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    On good cuts of beef its salt only,
    On certain cuts of quality beef that I'm going to eat almost raw I will do the salt only trick as well. However this is for basically raw beef.  

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SGH I answered earlier, but I want to frame my answer in context. When we spoke on the phone a while back I told you how I cooked brisket hot and fast 20 years ago when I didn't know any different - and now people talk about it like it's a new thing. That's how I feel about S&P. For beef, regardless if it's brisket or steak I like a little salt and lots of coarse ground black pepper. I've been doing that since before it was in vogue too. That's honestly all I use. I have tried rubs since I bought my egg, but I've gone back to just good 'ol S&P.

Chicken and pork are a different story. I like to play with different flavor a on them. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For me, just now, just S&P is not a big deal. Part of this is because there are several markets in town, one that started Vietnamese, but has branched out to offer things from around the Orient, and even the Caribbean, and another, Indian, that has just tripled in size. I'm seeing more different spices than I've ever seen, often at ridiculously low prices.

Every butcher shop in town is making their own rubs.

After being a dry rib fan for the last 25 years, I'm finally beginning to see the point in sauces. It appears there are some flavors that cook away, notably black pepper and paprika. Building a sauce that brings those flavors back seems like a good idea.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I use very little salt now.  Plenty of things I make w/o salt.  I use pepper a fair amount, but rarely just black pepper.  It might be a lemon pepper or ancho or chipolte.  But there are things I make w/o S&P.  Hamburgers are one.  A little bit of garlic, onion, and oregano gets added, but that's it.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Cliche is a mighty big word, but it's ok, I looked it up.

I love different rubs.  I always like trying something new.  However, I have noticed for a while that on anything cooked low and slow, I cannot taste much difference between the rubs unless there is a really strong presence of salt, black pepper, cayenne/heat, or maybe sugar.  I say maybe on the sugar because it really fades more than the others.  Everything else disappears to me.  On chicken and fish or anything that's a relatively quick cook, I can taste it more.  For this reason, I've stopped using expensive rubs on anything that's going to cook for a while - including ribs.  I'll put something on to help with a bark, but more and more it's whatever rub is in the cabinet that I don't really love and want to get rid of or it's some simple combo of s&p, onion, garlic, smoked paprika depending on what I'm cooking.  The longer it's going to cook, the fewer ingredients.  The exception to this is I will use a few shakes of a flavorful rub at the end as a final seasoning.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I think S&P is the "thing" because of the rise of simplicity. We as cooks, and lovers of food have been moved to simple, local, fresh, clean, etc.

Eat local, drink local. Know your food. Less is best, let the ingredients and proteins shine, so I think salt and pepper being simple, cheap, and the basis for most if not all rubs and seasonings, king.

FWIW, we do the Hello Fresh meals from time to time. Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper is all they require one to have to cook a pretty great meal, simple too.

But as a whole, I think for things like Brisket, it's just a "proud" factor or minimal seasoning complexity and letting the fire, the wood, the time and the beef be great.

I like Salt and Pepper only, growing up in CenTex myself, but I'll be honest, I mix it up, and I enjoy some of the wild flavors and spices of many rubs available, and for various meats too I think it changes.

Living in Georgia, we love our pork. Pork is king around here. I love a sweet and hot rub on pork, just as much as a simple salt and papper with some garlic and onion in it.

Eat what you like, the critics aren't.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    For beef, salt, pepper, and garlic rules. On pork, a big fan of Dizzy Pig rubs. For poultry, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme, lemon, and anything else that suits our fancy. I agree with @Dyal_SC, it depends on the cut of meat. Fantastic looking brisket BTW.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    For me, brisket is 4 parts pepper, 2 parts salt, 1 part garlic, 3 parts Montreal steak.

For pork butts - I brine and make my own rub without salt, as @YukonRon said above.

For chicken and everything else I still use prepared rubs, but as I use them up I'll be experimenting with my own replacements.  
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    3 parts Montreal steak.

I'm glad that you mentioned the Montreal. It's one of my very favorites. It has several different kinds of pepper in it and it's of a very course grind. I buy it by the quart for about 12 bucks. Money well spent in my book. I love it on all beef. 

Status- Standing by.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Salt and Pepper, its all I really like on beef and pork I'm done with all other rubs on my meat.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    SGH said:
    I agree. S&P is the base for just about everything. And no doubt if you combine just salt, pepper, meat and heat, you get good results. But I'm curious, everyone's go to answer is now salt and pepper, I just wonder how many are actually following their on advice. 
    I can't say I use S&P exclusively for beef, but it's in the rotation.  We also like Montreal Steak seasoning.
    Flint, Michigan
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Salt and pepper are a starting point but rarely the final answer here.
    I usually make my own including onion and garlic among other things with a little more garlic thrown in for good measure,

I have been on a Dizzy Pig run here as of late as well.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I'm an old school conservative and most grilled/smoked/bbq'd meat I prepare only gets S&P or Montreal Seasoning (which I also use on chicken). I never inject. I never glaze with but one occasional exception - chicken wings.

I'm more into a selection of sauces/condiments at the table to let people find their own bliss. 

I do go thru a lot of chimichurri but again mostly on the table side tho I will occasionally marinade a chicken breast in that while it is in the hot tub or put under the skin of a whole chicken which will be roasted/spun.

When making Kahlua pork I will stab the butt a dozen times and insert whole garlic cloves but the only rub is Alaea salt and just a bit of pepper.

I have tried a variety of rubs on ribs over the years but still just prefer S&P and then sauce on the table.

I think it is more a case of all these fancy rubs being a cliche, a fad, hipster fashion, liberal weakness, urban trendiness, and that the pendulum is finally swinging back to good old simple seasoning.

Or it could just as easily be that using just S&P is the hipster trend and that it will soon pass and folks can get back to all their fancy shmancy rubs. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    We also like Montreal Steak seasoning.
    Glad to hear this^^^^^^^^^^^. It's cheap and it's honestly really good stuff. Due to the various peppers, it really shines on beef. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of a simple rub of MSG. 

Little Rock, AR

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm an old school conservative . . .

Me too.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm an old school conservative . . .

Me too.

What's ironic about that is I'm actually a real old school democrat commonly referred to as a Dixiecrat. However as the 2 sides flip flopped on issues, I switched parties as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Fantastic looking brisket BTW.
    Thanks sister. I appreciate it.  

Status- Standing by.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of a simple rub of MSG. 
    I always like to mix some gluten with my MSG when making a rub.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk