Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Dinner one night in New Orleans

Options
2»

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    No doubt on the Drago's oysters.
    They are fantastic.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm interested to hear what New Orleans residents and natives think of Pascal's Manale. We've dined there twice -- the visits were about 10 years apart --  and were happy both times. Have always wondered where it ranks with those "in the know."

@Wolfie51sb I like them too.   Great place to eat raw oysters.  Even though they "invented" BBQ shrimp, I find theirs to be hit or miss (though last time they were quite good).  They also do a really good steak.

Definitely a classic New Orleans place.  I'm a fan.
    NOLA
  • OSBulldog
    Options
    Yeah I know drago's "invented" the chargrilled oyster buy acme mastered it!  Don't waste your time at dragos. Acme is better. 
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Arnaud's. https://www.arnaudsrestaurant.com

This is always a must when I have my bride with me in Nola. 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback on Pascal's. Each time we've went, the BBQ shrimp has been a no-brainer for me to order.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• GregW
    Options
    OSBulldog said:
    Yeah I know drago's "invented" the chargrilled oyster buy acme mastered it!  Don't waste your time at dragos. Acme is better. 
    I'll keep that in mind and try Acme next trip down.
  • garyflintstone
    Options
    K Pauls Kitchen.  Bucket list stuff
    Royal Oak, MI.,1 L BGE, kick ash basket
  • BigGreenHog
    Options
    Dinner:
    Jacque Imos
    Vincents
    R'evolution
    Cochon
    Peche
    August
    KPaul
    Bon Ton - just for bread pudding

Lunch
    Parkway Tavern
    La Domenica
    Dragos in Metarie (oysters only)
    Cochon Butcher 
    Company Burger

Music
    Maple Leaf
    Preservation Hall
    Snug Harbor

Drinking
    Maple Leaf
    Carousel Bar
    Sazerac Bar
    The Columns 

• BigGreenHog
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Lots of wonderful places. Here are some of my opinions.

Best Burger -  Port of Call on Esplanade (Yo Mama's bar and grill is awesome too)
    Best Steak -  Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse
    Best Muffaletta - The Central Grocery
    Best Seafood - So many wonderful options anything in the French quarter will be good, even most of the stuff on Bourbon. Paul Prudhomme's restaurant is my personal favorite.
    Best Oysters - I like eating oysters at the bar at Felix's across from Acme (it's better imho) If you want to ride out to Metairie, the original Drago's invented charbroiled oysters and they are ridiculous, don't go to the one in the hotel downtown.

Grab some beignets at Cafe Du Monde in the morning. 

I don't usually chime in on the New Orleans threads (as I have too much to say), but I will offer my .02US (adjusted) this time as a cynical lifelong NOLA foodie. @Thatgrimguy, I'm not picking on you - but your post was a good starting point.

The best burger in the city is actually at Company Burger (CBD or Freret St), though your choices are pretty good.

Best Steak - probably La Boca (Warehouse District).  Crescent City Steakhouse, while not the best, offers a classic New Orleans experience.  Dickie Brennan's is not a bad choice, however. Galatoire's also a has new add-on steakhouse ('33') which I have not tried yet.

Best Muffeletta - Central Grocery is the gold standard, though I would argue Cochon Butcher's is better.  I'm also partial to Napoleon House, though few would consider it "The Best" (get a Pimm's Cup).

Best Seafood - IMO, that would be Peche (Warehouse District) or Borgne (CBD).  Both have a more local take on seafood.  GW Fins is never a bad choice, however.  I wouldn't consider K-Paul's (Prudhomme) a bad option, though not a true seafood place (more true creole, IMO).  If you want to eat boiled crawfish, look at The Galley (Metairie) or Franky and Johnny's (uptown).  Few restaurants actually serve boiled crawfish.  During the season, many bars will also do boiled crawfish on the weekends.  Or pick some up at a seafood market with some beer and eat them on the levee or at a park.  If you have a car, go to Bucktown.

Best oysters - great recommendation for Felix's, but Peche now has the best oysters in the city.  You're going to pay for them, though.  The grilled oysters at Drago's are a true New Orleans classic, though I find the rest of the food kind of meh.  Other places are doing great grilled oysters these days, too.

And some notes on other mentions in the thread:

Brunch - personally I would pass on Court of Two Sisters.  Jazz Brunch at Commander's Palace is incredible.  If you don't want to dress up, go to Elizabeth's in the Bywater, but be prepared to wait a bit (have some drinks).  Praline bacon - nuff said.

I'm not sure why you would come to New Orleans for fried chicken, but I agree that Willie Mae's is pretty good (I think her granddaughter is running it now).  FWIW, there is now a second location on St Charles up the streetcar line.

Beignets - cafe du monde is a classic, but I'm not sure why people wait in these giant lines for certain things (looking at you Acme, CdM, and Mother's).  There are usually ways to get the same thing without the line.  For beignets, there is Morning Call in both Metairie and City Park, and a coffee shop on royal that serves them.  CdM is a classic, though, but go at an off hour and avoid the lines (there is another way, but I will let you figure that out).

The list posted by @crabcakez is pretty good, though seems dated (August is not 'new').  If you're looking for pho/viet food, pass on Lily's.  Both Namese and Mopho (both midcity) are much better.

Whoever mentioned Camelia Grill, there is also a location in the quarter, recently reopened, that also has full bar, if you're looking for that kind of food.

The suggestion for Mr. B's BBQ shrimp is a good one.

A few other non-quarter options that aren't typically on tourist radar (get reservations!!):

Brigtsen's (riverbend): fresh fish, rabbit
    Gautreau's (uptown): creole
    La Petite Grocery (uptown): creole
    Lillette (bistro): uptown/garden district
    Cafe Degas (midcity/city park): classic French (excellent brunch also)
    Herbsaint (CBD): creole french
    Pizza NOLA (Marigny): NY-style pizza

That list could go on and on...

This guys gets it....

word on Morning Call

• RockyTopDW
    Options
    i'd recommend watching the new orleans episode of "the layover with anthony bourdain".  it's on netflix.  i went last october for the first time & wished i'd seen this beforehand.  i had a blast & hope to get back later this year.
  • BulldogNation
    Options
    We are not as seasoned as many, but we do love the city and the food.  I second the recommendation of Camelia Grill and I am thrilled to hear it is reopened in the Quarter. We travelled to the other location back in October because we love it that much. I agree that Court of Two Sisters is not worth it. Commanders Palace was a fun experience, as was Bayona, but I don't think the food was as good as we expected. We usually enjoy NOLA (Emerils restaurant), Mother's poboys are good, as are Verdi Mart- a little grocer that you would not expect such deliciousness. Port of Call is really good, but many don't want a burger in NOLA. The Gumbo Pot is good for gumbo, Deanies is recommended for Seafood, but it is touristy.
  • GregW
    Options
    While we're on the subject of New Orleans food. Who has the best Tamale's now?
    I know it's not high end eating, but I do have a taste for them.
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Well we got here yesterday and all I can say is Wow.... It's been several years since I have been here (2 mardis grais 17 years ago & a 24 hr stopover 5 or 6ya) and I honestly forgot how crazy this place is. Oh the sights, sounds, and SMELLS!

I tried preparing the wife before we got here but I don't think she believed me until she saw for herself! We're staying right on Bourbon at the Sheraton 4 points so right out the door is craziness (even on a Sunday evening)!
    We mostly walked the city yesterday, grabbed a po boy @ Johnny's, some mediocre jambalaya at sinners and saints (because it was close and we were hungry) and a creme brulé at Tableau. 
    Going to head to Cafe du Monde this morning then hope to check out a few places mentioned here. 
    It's supposed to rain this afternoon so does anyone have any suggestions for things to do in NO on a rainy day? 

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

My favorites:

Breakfast - Mother's on Poydras. Get the debris with your eggs.  It's the beef shavings/au jus from the sliced beef for their po boys.

Oysters - Acme and Felix's are both very good.

Dinner/Lunch - Landry's Seafood on the shore of Lake Ponchatrain.

Nighttime - I've always enjoyed getting a beer and standing on Bourbon Street and "People Watch." You'll see some unusual sights.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Webass said:

Dinner/Lunch - Landry's Seafood on the shore of Lake Ponchatrain.

Good lord, no.  Great view, good place to have drink, but the food is terrible.
    NOLA
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Good last time I ate there, but that was several years ago.  Since you're the local you'd know better.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• BGE Convert
    Options
    Gotta chime in here....Last time I was in NO I hit Dickie Brennans Steakhouse, Gallatoires, Commanders, Cochon and Palace Café...and a couple other lunches that were good but nothing compared to these places...If you've never been to Commanders...for me that would be the spot...The next time I go I will definitely have to round out the Big 4 in NO and hit Arnaud's and Antoines....A lot of the locals dislike Emeril for being a sellout and transporting his NO style restaurant of Vegas etc.  but I would still try any of this places...the recommendations for Donald links restos are legit and I really want to go to Brigtsens and Besh's restos as well....if it is one day you have go to Cochon for lunch and Commanders for dinner...