Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Blackstone 17" Setup & Seasoning (Pics)

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    4Runner said:
    The grease trap on the 36 is terrible.  I use tinfoil to help direct the grease/oil to the container.  How well does it work on your tabletop?

@4Runner   Don't know if this helps your decision to get rid of the 36, but here is a really easy grease trap fix that has worked perfectly.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories#latest

Phoenix 
  • That looks like a nice design. Ill be ordering one shortly! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Ordered. I have been intrigued by the blackstone movement and I think this is a great way to wade in. Can't wait for warmer weather.

I think this will also travel in the trailer well for camping this summer. 

Thanks for the heads up!
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Glad to have put the post up, I was debating if it would have any relevance for anyone, guess it did, good to see. Also Maxwell, couldn't agree more, "a great way to wade in" hard to go wrong.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• I think I'm sold. Been wanting one but have an outdoor kitchen build planned for the summer and want to get a gas version that is built in for that. This is affordable and like the portability for later use. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    txhawkeye said:
    I think I'm sold. Been wanting one but have an outdoor kitchen build planned for the summer and want to get a gas version that is built in for that. This is affordable and like the portability for later use. 
    Meaning you're gonna convert this one to natural gas?  If you are successful let me know.  I'd be curious
  • No I have looked at trying to convert one, it appears to be possible but no real solid information out there that I can find on how to do it or someone that already has. I am planning on buying an Evo griddle for the outdoor kitchen it is expensive but cool.

• ScottNC
    txHawfree, that is definitely a nice choice! Only a little over $3000 more, I'd pick that too if I could. It does come with a free cover though. :s

Western, North Carolina

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    How does the iron surface function... Does it clean up easily?   Is it as good as a stainless surface?   I'd like to be able to just scrub the thing clean, wipe it down and be done.  Does it need to be seasoned every cleaning like a cast iron skillet?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • ScottNC
    Mayberry, after I seasoned it with Flax Oil (see beginning of post) , it took about 30 seconds to clean up. Couple passes with my spatula, scrapped into the drip pan and threw a paper towel down and wiped with end of spatula...done. No it does not need to be re-seasoned, it seasons itself pretty much with each cook. 
    I don't re-season my CI pans every cook either, so, what you do may vary.

Western, North Carolina

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Mayberry said:
    I can hit 550 measured by my IR gun with no problem.
    Mine struggles to hit 450.  
    What sizes do each of you have?   Maybe different sizes have different burners, so different btu outputs?  I'd like the smaller size, but don't want one that won't get very hot.  That would be a primary use for me.
    Mine is a 36" version.  It takes 10-15 minutes to fully heat up the griddle when it is cold out.

Main thing is to keep it out of the wind.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Got the 17" today. Excited to try it out. 
  • ScottNC
    Have fun with it!

Western, North Carolina

• Thanks for the heads up on the smaller size. I've read the posts on the cart size with envy; I just don't have anywhere to put it. This size makes more sense for me. Next time I'm at Ace, I'll see if they happen to have one in stock. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • BTW, that's a great table you have the griddle on!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Mayberry said:
    Every time I go into my local Ace, I look at the 36" Blackstone they have on display. The things feel solid and look awesome.  It would be great for burgers, family breakfast, etc.   How hot does it get?   Would it be suitable for searing tuna and steaks?
    @SmokeyPitt contact blackstone for a new regulator and all your problems will be solved. It makes a world of a difference. @cazzy posted a thread on it a few months ago and I called. It's made a huge difference and I was already happy with mine.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ScottNC
    Thanks NC

Western, North Carolina

• So how big is this thing, like how much can I fit on it at once? Wife gave me the green light today, just deciding if I really want it. I have a Weber Q that I don't ever use, that was a gift thought. And its not a griddle either.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2016
    Nice egg spot, dig the griddle table.  Thanks for the post.  Will be a nice addition to the tailgate camp cooking arsenal when its too hot to mess with an egg or fire.  At least, dedicate it to breakfasts.  Smaller, but purposeful footprint.  Great lookin' sear on that burger.  

Why the tile?  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Can someone snap a picture of theirs? I fear the online photo with 4 burgers and 4 buns toasting might be a trick, dont want to get one and regret it. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Can someone snap a picture of theirs? I fear the online photo with 4 burgers and 4 buns toasting might be a trick, dont want to get one and regret it. 
    The griddle plate is a 17" square. A normal hamburger bun is 4" in diameter.

Tis a simple maths problem.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gotcha, i couldnt find anywhere that said the dimensions, it looked rectangular to me. Thanks! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Mayberry said:
    Every time I go into my local Ace, I look at the 36" Blackstone they have on display. The things feel solid and look awesome.  It would be great for burgers, family breakfast, etc.   How hot does it get?   Would it be suitable for searing tuna and steaks?
    @SmokeyPitt contact blackstone for a new regulator and all your problems will be solved. It makes a world of a difference. @cazzy posted a thread on it a few months ago and I called. It's made a huge difference and I was already happy with mine.
    Thanks Grim I will do that.  I am really happy with mine so well but would be nice to get a little hotter for searing steaks. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hey @ScottNC, BBQ brother from the other side of the Smokies here.  Where did you get the cart for your Mini-Max?  Looks like the ones that Sam's in Knoxville carries except they don't have that size. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ScottNC
    All info on it (including shortening legs) are in this post. New MiniMax SS Cart

Western, North Carolina

• Oh man $79.99 Ace ship to store? Done deal, this is perfect for me I cannot wait any longer!!!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Thanks for sharing Scott. I placed an order for the stainless table for the mini-max today and am considering picking up the black stone as well. One question I was hoping you might be able to answer is: would the black stone work with the table? I'd like to be able to switch the mini-max and black stone out as needed. From the pics, storage would be ok, but is there enough room on the top for the black stone to fit with a small propane attached?
  • ScottNC
    Hey Smokin",
    It definitely fits it, I've been contemplating doing the same, well actually getting another table. The table is 20" front to back, the grill is 18" from the front surface of the control knob (chrome) to the back so nothing would stick out or hang over. And yes on the 1# propane also.

Western, North Carolina

• Scott NC I had a quick question...I ordered this and want to use lager propane tanks.  What do I need to buy for this to work.
  • ScottNC
    Just one of these, you'll be able to pick it up at any hardware store or Home Depot, around $20

Western, North Carolina