Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got that brisket egging.

Options
Thanks to many of you, I finally have my first brisket on the XL and steady at 275.
XL clean and ready to load.

Load with Rockwood and oak chunks ready to bury.

Grid raised a little to allow for a drip pan and flared edges on liner foil.

The beast is in place and plugged in.  Now for a long, cold night.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Farmer, if I could offer one small tip, it looks way under seasoned in the pic. You can go much heavier than that. If it's a optical illusion, then my apologies. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FarmerTom
    Options
    It looked ok when I put it out in the fridge, but now I have to agree with you.  Think I will get some more S&P on it before it goes any longer.  Wife was afraid I would over do it.

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Wife was afraid I would over do it.
    You would have to really pile it on to over do it. Coat the entire surface. Don't leave any naked spots.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Just for your frame of reference, this was good on the pepper, but, not enough salt.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• SGH
    Options
    Here is the Omaha Omaha brisket that I recently did. 
    I actually added more seasoning once it was on the BGE.  

Status- Standing by.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    SGH , looking at it on the egg, it looks entirely different.  But I still put some more on, and took a pic.  Closed it and checked the pic.  Damn, there still isn't enough on it.  Opened it up again and it looks to be quite a lot to me.  Not sure what's up with the pictures, but anymore S&P and it would be caked on.  

Tommy 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    alright, good to see that cow is cooking.  now try and get some sleep.  

if you're using a remote thermometer, may i suggest: leave the meat alarm off.  don't freak out when the beast hits 160 at 3 AM.  it's not cooking too fast.  if you have temp alarms, anything between 225 and 300 is fine.  Again, at 3 AM don't make huge moves with your vents or you'll be chasing the temps for the next 3 hours while you could be sleeping.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    @FarmerTom
    You are looking at it in real life, I'm only seeing the pics. However my guess is that you have not over seasoned it. If it has a good coat on it, let her ride my friend.  Good luck and standing by for the finale.  

Status- Standing by.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    SGH, mine isn't nearly as heavy as yours.  I think it is an even coating, but not that heavy.  No idea what I'm doing here, do you think it needs a lot of S&P?

Tommy 

• SGH
    Options
    Kind of depends on what you are shooting for. For a typical mahogany brisket, no sir. It doesn't have to be that heavy. However if you are going for a dark meteor, then you have to get fairly heavy. If it has a even cost on it, just let it run my friend. It will be fine. 

Status- Standing by.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Ok, SGH.  I S&P'd one more time.  Afraid I'll have to take a 10 cooler of tea if I put on any more.  

Tommy 

• SGH
    Options
    Looks fine brother. Let her ride.  

Status- Standing by.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Ok, SGH.  I S&P'd one more time.  Afraid I'll have to take a 10 cooler of tea if I put on any more.  

That looks much better.  Now you are rockin.

I am in @SGH 's camp.  You cannot see any meat peaking through when I rub.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    It's really thicker than it looks.  It had been on a little over 2 hours and the fat was starting to come up.  It was soaking up the S&P about as fast as I spread it.  

Tommy 

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Can't wait to see the final product!
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Looking good. I have a packer in the freezer I need to Egg. Your threads about the brisket cook have been helping me tremendously. Thanks for sharing. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You are soon to be a Brisket God! Looking good brother Tom! Brisket God SGH is as good as it gets, giving great insight to an obvious great cook!

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    With lousubcap and SGH  advising me, I've got no excuse if I screw up.  But I think they will have me nail this thing if I don't doze off at the wrong time.  Did that once, major screw up, but that's a story for another time.  

Tommy 

• FarmerTom
    Options
    And SGH , I don't know if you remember, but well over a year ago I asked for advice on buying a decent set of working knives.  You recommended a set of Victorinox on Amazon.  Well, I've had my eye on them ever since.  Looked for a Granton blade slicer in Florence, Ky. yesterday when buying the brisket.  Everything was at least 1/2 the price of the entire Victorinox set.  So my wife ordered the Victorinox set thru Amazon Prime yesterday.  Paid about $9 extra for Sat. delivery.  Didn't have a prayer I would actually get them today out here in the sticks.   But in rolled UPS this morning.  I'm a happy meat carver now.  Nice set.  Thanks for that advice.

Tommy 

• YukonRon
    Options
    You are a brisket God, now with cutlery. Keep that wallet open Brother Tom, there will be more!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Glad that the game is on an no issues so far.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    blind99 said:

if you're using a remote thermometer, may i suggest: leave the meat alarm off.  don't freak out when the beast hits 160 at 3 AM.  it's not cooking too fast.  if you have temp alarms, anything between 225 and 300 is fine.  Again, at 3 AM don't make huge moves with your vents or you'll be chasing the temps for the next 3 hours while you could be sleeping.
    I've soooooo been there.  I couldn't agree with blind99 more.  Now if only I could follow that advice myself.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Robo2015 said:
    blind99 said:

I've soooooo been there.  I couldn't agree with blind99 more.  Now if only I could follow that advice myself.
    This thing drove me nuts most of the night.  Was shooting for 275.  And early on, it was fine.  But then the temp started creeping up.  Ok, it will level out.  But no, when it hit 295, I went out and made a VERY small adjustment to lower vent.  Stops climbing and finally starts to lower.  Thru 275 into the 250's.  Well sh|t.  Time for another adjustment.  And I mean a very small adjustment. 1/16"-1/8".  Levels out, then starts back up.  Crap.  Thru 275 again and on to 290.  Alright, make another tiny change.  The climb stops, when it's back to 288, I turned the damn alarms off and went to bed.  Hell with it.  When I woke up, it was at 206.  Had to open both top and bottom to get it going back up again.  Soon had it level at 268-270.  Leave it alone and it has been fine since.  No idea what was going on last night, but I've never had that much problem getting an egg to settle in at the desired temp.  

Tommy 

• lousubcap
    Options
    At least you didn't lose the fire-and around here it was quite windy last night (and right now as well).  That may have contributed.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Looking good!!

Once you start chasing it feels like you'll be doing it all night, part of the reason I bought a digi q for some sleep if I do overnights.

That said, haven't been in a position where I needed a brisket early in the day, so an evening cook wasn't in my bag of tricks!

If you plan to wrap, be sure to get the fat cap on top!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Last night the MM was so hard to control due to the high wind. I had the dome stable at 250F, let it cook checked it a couple times, all was good. Then the wind started, went almost to 375F. Totally agree when weather sux, use the q guru.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    This has been the most frustrating cook I have done in my 2+ years of egging.  I can't get the damn thing to settle anywhere.  Every time I think I finally have it, and ignore it for a while,when I check back it has moved either up or down 20 or 30 degrees.  It got to almost 300 late last night.  Finally got it turned around and dozed off a while.  When I woke up, it was at 206 and the fire about out.  Got it going again and seemed steady at 268 for 30-45 minutes. Finally.  Then it dropped again into the 220's.  Got it back I thought.  Just now at almost 300 again.  If this damn thing tastes any better than shoe leather it will amaze me.  
       Have my maverick meat probe in the lowest reading spot I could find in the flat.  Reading 182 now.  When do I start probing it?  Would like to take it off around 4.  Should I wrap it now?

Tommy 

• lousubcap
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First, regarding the wrap-here's link to another Franklin video that addresses wrapping, foil or paper or running nekked to the finish-line.  Just to add to the confusion.  Wrapping is done for a couple of reasons-to get thru the stall and accelerate the cook(foil is the deal for that endeavor) or preserve the bark  (butcher paper for that) or not at all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw
    You are fine at 300*F (edit: or higher) especially if looking to finish in 2-3 hrs.  
    I would give the thickest part of the flat a check once clear of 185*F and then every 30 mins or so but it may not get loose til the low 200's.  
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    The upper 290's didn't worry me, but the fact that it was continuing to rise did.   So I make a small adjustment to try to level it out.  Next thing I know, it's dropping and continuing to do so.  It's been back and forth the whole time.  I'm going to blame it on the wind.  It's continually blowing and whipping around the buildings from different directions.  I have tried to set up some wind screens to eliminate what I can, but it's still brutal out there.  Will be glad when the FTC rolls around.  

Tommy 

• lousubcap
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Regarding the FTC-just let the brisket sit on a cooling rack for around 15-20 mins before the FTC.  You want to stop any carryover cooking with that step.  
    Edit:  Give the Franklin payoff video a look for how to slice the brisket.  Takes all the mystery out of the process.  And don't go down the burnt ends road-enjoy the point, the best part of this adventure.