Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild hog

Options
Just killed a 145 lb sow about to have some good cooks ahead what are some good recipes for wild hog thanks 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Good eats await! When I was a kid growing up in GA, we ate lots of wild pigs. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Nice, congrats!

If you can, I'd say grind the whole thing into sausage. I like a blend of bacon ends and pieces + trimmed fat back in about a 1:4 ratio by weight with the lean you'll get from the hog. Cube up the meat and fat, season the hell out of the whole mess (lots of commercially available mixes available with plenty of sage in them), soak it all in buttermilk overnight (refrigerated), them grind it to about medium coarseness. I like it just like that for burgers, spaghetti, sausage gravy, etc, but it can also be cased up if that's what you prefer. This stuff can be AMAZING!!!

Hope it goes well, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

cheers -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I've cooked several sections (tenderloin, ribs, loin, shoulder) from hogs about that size and one whole 20 pound wild pig.  

The meat is very lean and dries out quickly.  As a result, when I cooked the loin and tenderloin like I normally would they came out "decent" but certainly not great.  The ribs have virtually no meat or fat (at least that's how my buddy who hunts the hogs butchers them) and I've pretty much given up on them.  The best results have come when I have cooked large chunks of meat like a shoulder and pulled it.  For best results I use a pre-cook injection (I get a lot of BBQ related gifts and I just grab whatever I have in the cupboard) and then a foil wrap after the temp gets to 160 or so.  The resulting pulled pork is outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    @Nuke1855 is an avid hog hunter.  Any suggestions for him, Kurt?
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I've cooked several sections (tenderloin, ribs, loin, shoulder) from hogs about that size and one whole 20 pound wild pig.  

The meat is very lean and dries out quickly.  As a result, when I cooked the loin and tenderloin like I normally would they came out "decent" but certainly not great.  The ribs have virtually no meat or fat (at least that's how my buddy who hunts the hogs butchers them) and I've pretty much given up on them.  The best results have come when I have cooked large chunks of meat like a shoulder and pulled it.  For best results I use a pre-cook injection (I get a lot of BBQ related gifts and I just grab whatever I have in the cupboard) and then a foil wrap after the temp gets to 160 or so.  The resulting pulled pork is outstanding.
    This is exactly why I like it ground so much. You have the chance to add in additional fat to keep some moisture but you don't lose the flavor of the meat! haven't done pulled pork from a shoulder or ham, but it's the only other option I would even consider if i was focusing on the Egg. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Foghorn said:

This is exactly why I like it ground so much. You have the chance to add in additional fat to keep some moisture but you don't lose the flavor of the meat! haven't done pulled pork from a shoulder or ham, but it's the only other option I would even consider if i was focusing on the Egg. 

Cheers -
    B_B

I figured as much.  It makes sense.   When I did the small whole pig, the whole thing pulled right off the bones just like they do it in North Carolina at a pig pickin'.

I bet ground pork sliders from a wild boar would be excellent.

But I don't have a grinder... and I do have a good sized offset smoker...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I will follow this.  Me and a buddy decided we would (try) to hunt some feral pigs.  He said he do all the field dressing and I said I would do all the butchering and sausage making.
    Options
    I'm not a hunter (fishing and poisonous snake killin' - yes). 

Would this work for wild pigs or do I need a bolt-action?  It's all I got in long guns other than a .22 and 12g.

Options
    I could be wrong, but I think that would work.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    My son uses a 308 to kill wild hogs.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @nolaegghead What caliber?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @shtgunal3 5.56 NATO.  Pigs around here are....I'm guessing 100 lbs plus or minus 50
    Options
    That's big enough. Try to hit them right behind the ear going forward if possible and it will be lights out. As I'm sure you know they have a very thick shoulder blade and it is hard to penetrate sometimes.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolaegghead it'll stop it with a well placed bullet with no problem. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Just something to think on. 300 Blackout. You can buy just the upper and use everything else you already have, even the same mags. It's based on a .223/5.56

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a friend who recently killed a wild hog.  He is sending me a ham, any advice?  Cure, etc..  Thanks!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ScottNC said:
    Just something to think on. 300 Blackout. You can buy just the upper and use everything else you already have, even the same mags. It's based on a .223/5.56

@ScottNC Good idea.  I think I can pick up the barrel for $100.  At least that's the price at Anderson (but they're always out of stock on half of what they sell)

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/16-inch-300-blackout-barrel/

edited February 2016
    Options
    I think you need to buy the whole upper, but I could be wrong. I would just buy the heaviest 223 bullets you can and re-sight yours with that weight bullet and then hammer their asses. Just dont shoot them in the shoulder. Either the head or right behind the shoulder. Behind the ear is perfect. 

Little Rock, AR

• Nuke1855
    Nuke1855 Posts: 281
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I've done a whole ton of wild boar recipes brother from bacon wrapped wild boar "meat" loaf to apple smoke boAR lasagna to smoke whole hams. I'll post some cooks. I may have the recipes or photos on my websites.
    Wil boar lasagna ^^^

Living The Big Green Egg Life...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.caribeque.com/">www.caribeque.com</a>

www.biggreenegglife.com

• Nuke1855
    Nuke1855 Posts: 281
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nuke1855 said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    I've done a whole ton of wild boar recipes brother from bacon wrapped wild boar "meat" loaf to apple smoke boAR lasagna to smoke whole hams. I'll post some cooks. I may have the recipes or photos on my websites.
    Wil boar lasagna ^^^

@Jwork328 @Dyal_SC

Hope this gives you a few ideas !!

Living The Big Green Egg Life...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.caribeque.com/">www.caribeque.com</a>

www.biggreenegglife.com

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    A 5.56/.223 will work fine for feral hogs. Even the .22 LR will work on them with a head shot. Only the big boars have the fat shield on their sides, sows do not. The thing you have to watch out for is their heart is very low in the chest. It's not like heart shot on a deer. So most hit the lungs and watch the pig run away on adrenaline. I have shot hundreds of them and I highly recommend either a head shot (in the ear hole) or neck shot (spine runs in center, not on top). They will drop right on the spot. I also recommend not going over 100 pound hog if you want a good meal. Up to 150 is OK. 20-50 lbs is good split or whole

You can go 300blk but it's not needed. I own 2 of them and several 5.56. Not a big difference inside 200 yards shooting supersonics. Lots of people have had 300blk bullets pass through pigs/deer with no expansion so pick your 300blk ammo wisely. Most 7.62/308 bullets don't like expanding at the lower 300blk speeds. If you want to permanently change caliber to 300blk, a barrel swap is all you need. It takes the same bcg and mags. If you want to go back and forth between calibers, get a 300blk upper. And PLEASE keep the ammo and mags separate. A 300blk will go to battery in a 5.56 upper and bad things happen when the trigger is pulled.

As for cooking, best to slow smoke it. Either split small pigs or large shoulders. We normally do it in offset stick burners. Not much there for pork chops and t-bones even in the big pigs. It's good, but more of an appetizer than a main course. And if you grind it, you will need to add domestic pig fat to it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Black_Badger
    Options
    +1 to @Toxarch

I've killed a fair number with a .243 and 7mm Mag but by far the most I've seen killed have been with a .22/.250. For those to work well you need to shoot the pig in the head, but it's a hell of a good gun. We carried it mostly for coyotes and ground squirrels at distance, but many a hog met their fate with the same round.

In the past I was fortunate enough to have access to a grinder and all the other butchery tools needed to make my own sausage, but I also know some butcher shops will process game (at least in CA and WI).

Good luck, let us know how it all ends up.

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    For many years, I would drive from MN to TX every Jan to hunt feral hogs for a week with my Thompson/Center Contender pistol. I took two barrel chamberings on these trips, a 10" .223 and a 10" 7-30 Waters. I went for all head shots since I had only a single shot. I have eaten a lot of wild boar from these trips doing my best to try to keep the population in check.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @shtgunal3 5.56 NATO.  Pigs around here are....I'm guessing 100 lbs plus or minus 50
    Some will hunt with 5.56 and.223 with success.  You'd have fun brother.  

@Jwork328, have them keep the backstraps and then for the rest ground and plenty of ground sausage.  Enjoy brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jwork328
    Options
    Thank y'all for all the help just waiting on the processing will defiantly post some pics