Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oxtail

Options
One of my favorite things to cook in the pressure cooker.  I usually get the oxtail at Costco.  It comes in two 2.5lbs packs.

2.5lbs of oxtail
1 14.5oz diced stewed tomatoes w/ onion and green pepper
1 can h2o
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 pinch or more cayenne
1/2 dice onion
3 bay leaves
1/4 tsp whole black pepper
4 pieces garlic chopped
1/2 cup cooking wine
3-4 sliced olives

brown the oxtail with a little oil, lightly salt and pepper, add onions, whole black pepper.  Cook on medium for 5 min.  Add garlic and cayenne, cook another 10 min on medium.  Add the stewed tomatoes, h2o, wine, bay leaves, tsp salt, tsp pepper.  Bring to a boil. Lower to medium heat and pressure cook for 1 hr, turn off.  Add olives and veggies of your choice (I like bok choy and small red or white potatoes) and cook till veggies are done.

enjoy! 

MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA

Comments

• the_crease
    Options
    That looks awesome. I've got a Costco pack of oxtail chillin in the fridge right now and also just received a pressure cooker as a gift recently.  Imma give this a whirl.  
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Love Oxtail.. Great cook and plated pic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Looks great! I love oxtail.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Love Oxtail.. Great cook and plated pic..
    +1 too bad they don't sell it in Costco around here...

Options
    Really looks great!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks great.  Will have to try that.  We ate a lot of oxtail when I was young.  It was very cheap and very tasty.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice cook. How did you cook the boc choy?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great, made me go get oxtail up from the freezer I've had for over a year. Unwrapped and one of the packs was mislabeled and turned out to be tongue. Now I have to decide if I make that as a separate cook...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Very nice cook. How did you cook the boc choy?
    After cooking the oxtail, I let the pressure cooker cool down, opened the lid, brought it back to a boil, threw in the bok choy, placed the lid back on and cooked unpressurized for about 6-8 mins. 

if you plan on throwing in potatoes, do the same but cook the potatoes with the pressure on for about 10-15 mins. 

MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great, made me go get oxtail up from the freezer I've had for over a year. Unwrapped and one of the packs was mislabeled and turned out to be tongue. Now I have to decide if I make that as a separate cook...
    I've never cooked tongue myself, but I could imagine you could use the same exact recipe in the pressure cooker for tongue. Growing up my mom would make tongue using the same base ingredients.

Tongue, depending how you get it, might take more prep work.  My mom would get it whole, boil the whole thing for a while, take it out, let cool, then de-skin and slice, then throw the slices into the pot with all the ingredients and cook till done.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA