Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting my Egg today

Options
Big Hoser
Big Hoser Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally, I'm breaking my gas habit, and based on research on the Net and what I saw on TV, I knew I had to get the BGE. I should be taking delivery of my large new Egg today and plan on assemblying it with a buddy tomorrow (testing it out with a couple of ribeyes). I plan on printing out the Naked Whiz's directions and tips, anything else as a first-timer I should know about or do? Thanks.

Comments

• JackGT
    JackGT Posts: 64
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    as someone once said, and as I am learning, "Experience is what you get right after you needed it." Have fun!

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    If you print directions and tips from TNW's site be sure to have plenty of ink in the printer. :-) [p]Just be sure to get the bands that hold the dome on nice and tight. Make sure the dome aligns with the base and that you have no leaks around the gasket. Watch out for flashback if doing a cook of 500 deg or higher. Be sure to let the egg stop smoking profusly when first lighting the lump. Some smoke is ok but let the fire settle in good, about 20 minutes for me on my egg. [p]The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the food. Although not impossible, it is hard to mess up a cook on the egg.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    As a fellow newbie, my first cook was also steaks. I cooked them with the sear/dwell method, but all my lump was, of course, new. If I were doing it again, I would light the fire, let the temp stabilize about 400 or 450 for 10 or 15 minutes. Then, when most of the smoke is gone open up the vents and get your furnace going. My steaks were a little too smoky, and I think it's because I didn't let the lump cook out the volatiles. Even so, great steaks.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    Congratulations. Things to know...[p]Begin cultivating your relationship with your butcher.
    Same for fish monger.
    Fill the firebox full of lump up to the fire ring. After lighting, let it get hot and coast there for a while to burn off the yucky smoke. But don't walk away from that egg for more than a few minutes once the temp starts to climb. You might come back in 5 minutes or so to find it rising through 700 or 800 degrees. [p]After you cook, close the bottom vent and put the raincap on top of the chimney to extinguish your fire. You will have lots of good lump left over and it will have already been burned once.[p]On the assembly, be sure when you are finished that your dome and base meet well enough to pass the paper test. Not sure if the Whiz has this on his site (probably, he doesn't miss much). Anyway, close the dome on a piece of paper like a dollar bill. Pull the bill out and make sure there is some resistance from the dome and base fitting snugly there. Repeat at around 8 locations around the opening. A good seal is important for temp control (the seal doesn't have to be perfect by any means) as well as for the longevity of the gasket.[p]Mostly, have fun! It's really great food.[p]Joyce

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    JackGT,
    in that same vein I like "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Big Hoser,[p]Congratulations on the purchase. I saw on your post that you are from Redding. I am thinking of relocating to that area. Where would I need to be to avoid melting in Jul - Sep?[p]Enjoy the Egg it is something special.[p]Jethro
  • JackGT
    JackGT Posts: 64
    Options
    RRP,
    that is excellent! I'm going to "borrow" it. ;)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JackGT,[p]I always liked this one too: "Eggperience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.
    (With apologies to A. Huxley)[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big Hoser
    Options
    Jethro,
    To keep from melting up here, you need to be a) inside with the AC cranked or b) at one of the nearby lakes.

• Big Hoser
    Options
    Went home at lunch to accept delivery of the large BGE and BGE charcoal. Looked good all boxed and wrapped up nice and tight on the pallet. Hopefully, no damage. Ordered from homeclick.com ($50 off, and no shipping or tax). Website says it "usually ships in 2-3 business days". I ordered it May 22, shipped on May 30, and received on June 12. If there's no damage, the little bit of extra time was worth the $$$ savings.
    Thanks for all the tips. Can't wait to fire it up!

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Big Hoser,[p]I vote for one of the lakes. It's so beautiful in that area! Hot, but beautiful. Great egging weather![p]Gwen