Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Attempt at Pulled Pork

Options
Any advice on how to get more smoked flavor in the pork.  I attempted to smoke pork shoulder for pulled pork this past weekend and was disappointed that there was not enough smoke flavor when it was done.  I used apple and hickory for the smoke which I soaked in water for an 1 hour before putting it in the Egg.  I had the internal Egg temp at 225 degrees and when the internal temp of the pork was at 160 degrees I covered it in foil and then when it reached internal temp of 210 degrees removed it from the Egg.  What did I miss with my technique to not get the full smoke flavor in the pork?  Any tricks and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you want a stronger amoke flavor try a chunk or 2 of hickory with the other woods you had. Also don't foil based on temp watch the bark. If it looks like it's burning then wrap but if not you don't have to foil. Also I would say raise your cooking temp to atleast 250 for a shoulder. That won't help with smoke flavor but it will save you time and not affect your results.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I never soak my wood chunks. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't ever foil a butt. 
    There was a lot of cook/smoke time you missed out on between 160 deg internal until you pulled it at 210 Deg.
    Also cooking at 250 as @lit say's wont hurt the quality and will help reduce your cook time.

How much did this shoulder weigh?
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    What @fishepa said. Don't soak the wood. It spends most of the cook steaming out the water. If you want smoke, it has to burn, and for it to burn it can't be wet. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I don't foil. I don't soak wood chunks. I stopped using a drip pan. My butts have never been better! I honestly think for me I was trying too hard. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • txhawkeye
    Options
    Agree with the above, I never soak my wood chunks, also have never foiled. I cook at 250 to 275 dome and has always turned out great. Good thing is it's a very forgiving piece of meat hard to completely ruin as long as you watch the internal temp. 
  • GregW
    Options
    I have a friend who cooks 4 pound butts. I haven't tried anything that small, but I would imagine they miss out on a lot of the flavor imparted by a longer cook time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have a friend who cooks 4 pound butts. I haven't tried anything that small, but I would imagine they miss out on a lot of the flavor imparted by a longer cook time.
    I have cooked a few boneless ones about that size, and I was pleasantly surprised how flavorful they were. 

• GregW
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have cooked a few boneless ones about that size, and I was pleasantly surprised how flavorful they were. 
    That's good to hear. A small one would cook much faster.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    That's good to hear. A small one would cook much faster.
    I always screw up on the time. I put it on too late every single time thinking I will have it ready for dinner. I start out at 250, but I always end up bumping it up to 400, but since I quit with the drip pan I swear they have gotten better! 

I didn't plan on not using a drip pan it was accidental. I started a cook and realized I didn't have a pan so I just went with it. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    How much or many chunks did you use?  

Maybe next time increase your usage some to see if that helps.  

Personally, I don't soak chunks or chips nor do I wrap butts.  I use a drip pan, though dry just for cleanup reasons.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jojobugay
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your tricks and tips. The weight of the pork was 7 lbs. looking forward to attempting it again. Will have the Egg temp at 250 and will not soak the wood and foil the pork. Is 210 internal temp the right temp to ale it off the Egg?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have found about 203 to be perfect for pulled pork. If it isn't boneless when the bone is falling out will be the right time. You will find what works for you and your family. 

• txhawkeye
    Options
    I usually pull at 200 at the bone. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    When it probes with no resistance. Usually in the 200-203. Start checking in the high 190s. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Just for kicks and giggles some time why don't you join us on the other side and go turbo? That's 350 dome and you get there quicker and until someone can prove us differently the taste of pulled pork is the same! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jojobugay
    Options
    I used 4 good size chunks of apple and hickory wood. Is that enough or do I need to use more?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That is all I use. 

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    jojobugay said:
    I used 4 good size chunks of apple and hickory wood. Is that enough or do I need to use more?

That is plenty. There's no harm in adding a couple more though.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If you want more smoke flavor, try going from 4 to 6 chunks.  Also strategically place them so they will burn after the lump is burning clear.  If they burn while the lump is getting stabilized and he meat isn't on the grate yet,  no smoke flavor.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Agree with much of which you've already read. I also encourage you to try turbo sometime (325-350 for me), which I think turns out better with butts than with ribs. For the record, I do think both turn out noticeably better at 250-275, but if you don't feel like you're missing anything you'll appreciate the convenience turbo provides.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Try pulling it and putting it in the fridge overnight. The following day will have TONS of flavor.  Dont over smoke it. I use about 3-4 chunks of wood placed in my charcoal.  If your smoke is clean you are not going to notice a strong flavor. A good fire and clean smoke will produce hints of smoke and a mild sweet flavor no matter what wood you use. When you get a strong smoke flavor you are more than likely burning a unclean fire. But if that's what you like then double the wood.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Plus, if you hang out by the egg your nose and taste buds are inundated with smoke. Always tastes smokier the next day. 
  • Givengold3
    Options
    I don't foil. I don't soak wood chunks. I stopped using a drip pan. My butts have never been better! I honestly think for me I was trying too hard. 
    That's the way I do it.  The smoke happens during the first part of the cook.  If your chunks are steaming, they're not smoking.  I use apple at 225.  250 might be more efficient.  If you have the time, and you should, don't foil.  The stall usually happens around 160 or so.  Some are longer than others.  Keep the bark from getting too moist.  Foil, towel, cooler (FTC) will keep that meet hot for a very long time, so don't be afraid to start a little early.
    My super bowl Sunday shoulders stalled at 187 for a couple of hours.  Then things shot up quickly.  14lbs. took about 15 hours at 225.
    Concord, CA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Agree with much of which you've already read. I also encourage you to try turbo sometime (325-350 for me), which I think turns out better with butts than with ribs. For the record, I do think both turn out noticeably better at 250-275, but if you don't feel like you're missing anything you'll appreciate the convenience turbo provides.
    @StillH2OEgger   Really like your thumbnail picture.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    excellent question, and great responses.  We newbies can get so much help here when we 'fess up we are mere grasshoppers trying to learn more from the egghead sensei masters  :)
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger   Really like your thumbnail picture.  
    Right back at you. I've noticed how similar they look and I always notice your posts right away because it looks so similar to mine. I was always curious where yours was taken, but never took the time to ask. Now is probably as good a time as any, so let's hear it.

I took mine in Two Harbors (Minnesota), which is an hour north of Duluth. The colors make it look far more tropical than you would expect from that location. Nobody believes me, but the colors have not been altered or adjusted in any way.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Northern Michigan - near Interlochen (just south of Traverse City).  Untouched photo like yours.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.