Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Freeze Meat Shelf Life

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
I generally use meat by the 1 year mark.

I wound up with a package of filet mignon processed on April, 2013. It was just wrapped in butcher paper.  Is it safe to eat?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Best bet is to probably thaw it out and smell it. If it smells bad don't eat it. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    ^^^^This
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Unless you had a power failure and the meat thawed and got warm, it will be safe forever. Quality might suffer, but it will be safe to eat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    I'm sure the color will be off, but a nice red if you trim it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Agree with the above-hell I found a two plus year old bag of frozen shrimp which SWMBO had surfaced from the deep freeze and repositioned to the fridge freezer a few weeks ago.  No mention of it til I was thinking about using shrimp in a cook.  Thawed and gave it the nose test-all good.
    That pales in comparison to the dang near 4 year old frozen turkey I found on a freezer deep dive.  Thawed, cooked and tasted just fine.  
    Yes, SWMBO is a firm believer that if there is space it needs to be filled-that applies to freezers, fridges, closets, drawers, car glove boxes, suitcases and any other friggin space that happens to exist in her world.  No further comment required...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    My wife's the same way! How long can it be frozen before quality starts to suffer?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I'll give it a go!  What's the worst that could happen.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Agree with the above-hell I found a two plus year old bag of frozen shrimp which SWMBO had surfaced from the deep freeze and repositioned to the fridge freezer a few weeks ago.  No mention of it til I was thinking about using shrimp in a cook.  Thawed and gave it the nose test-all good.
    That pales in comparison to the dang near 4 year old frozen turkey I found on a freezer deep dive.  Thawed, cooked and tasted just fine.  
    Yes, SWMBO is a firm believer that if there is space it needs to be filled-that applies to freezers, fridges, closets, drawers, car glove boxes, suitcases and any other friggin space that happens to exist in her world.  No further comment required...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Davec433I have not found the outer limit-I have done several cooks of meats and poultry in the 3+ year range with no issues.  And I do not plan to keep pushing the envelope-I have enough of a challenge as it is.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Wow three years... I thought quality would suffer in a few months or do but that's good news thanks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Wonder how much longer before Darby pulls out his soap box on this thread! Typically this very subject is one of his hot buttons. LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    Wonder how much longer before Darby pulls out his soap box on this thread! Typically this very subject is one of his hot buttons. LOL
    Pro or Con?  He st!kes me as a use by best date or not at all.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    You are pulling my leg aren't you? If not - then the answer is NO - st!ke is no "use by" fan - AT ALL. BTW he probably is either resting from an all nighter job he had to deliver today or has dimmed the street lights in a 9 block area sucking up all the excess electricity powering all the computers and graphic printers he uses to run the software he utilizes. You think I'm kidding? - not much!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Frozen food is safe forever.  That is not hyperbole or overstated for effect

food cannot become unsafe when properly frozen 

that's not me, that's the USDA, whose estimates for 'done' temperatures are notoriously conservative. 

'Indefinitely ' is actually the word they use. Practically forever

quality can diminish, sure. Freezer burn, or off-odors that it picks up.  None of that is safety related and can be defended against with vacuum packaging or wrapping in butcher paper, foil, sadan wrap, etc. 

literally, safe forever. Quality wise? Depends if the vacuum seal is still good. Otherwise it can dehydrate, oxidize, etc. 

still safe though

ozzie hasn't been around very long. Or doesn't pay attention

use by dates are for people who don't understand their food. 

Use by dates have nothing (not one thing) to do with safety. There is no legal requirement for any food to deemed unsafe after some amount of time. 

Amazes me that for a topic which is discussed here ad nauseum, it's still hazy. 

This is simple stuff. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    And it's not a soapbox issue. It's absolute fact. 

They can unfreeze a twenty year embryo and nine months later  give it a social security number. Your meat is fine at your freezer temps. No need for liquid nitrogen
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw I believe Mr. Issac was being facetious. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Can't tell around here anymore

• RRP
    Options
    Can't tell around here anymore
    Come on man...I was paying you a compliment and you know it.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    'LOL'

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If forever = infinity, then it is not good forever.  Eventually, bombardment of subatomic particles and the effects of entropy will degrade the frozen food, it will break down into ionized particles...eventually hydrogen...and be sucked into a black hole as time reverses itself. 

Edit: This may take billions of years.
    There's a reason the word "practically" was used. In a "practical" sense, it is safe forever. 

Besides, you are again confusing food quality and food safety. They are unrelated 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    You are pulling my leg aren't you? If not - then the answer is NO - st!ke is no "use by" fan - AT ALL. BTW he probably is either resting from an all nighter job he had to deliver today or has dimmed the street lights in a 9 block area sucking up all the excess electricity powering all the computers and graphic printers he uses to run the software he utilizes. You think I'm kidding? - not much!
    I'm sorry, but I do not understand why you have this recurring stock phrase/story in the quiver.  It's odd. Please don't do this anymore. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    the oldest ive ever cooked and eaten was about 10 years frozen. it was a rabbit, it was labeled OLD BUCK 1976. had no idea what to do with it camping so just roasted it over the fire while drinking. it was the toughest piece of rawhide i ever ate =) not sure if it was the long freeze time, an old rabbit, way over cooked, but no one died =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw , @theyolksonyou was correct, I was being deliberately quarrelsome with my sardonic comment regarding your view on the issue.

I am familiar with your stance on Use By Dates and I 100% agree.

I was hoping you would respond to this thread.  I value your opinion on this topic, but did not remember the specifics for frozen meat.

It is in the fridge thawing now and I plan to try it on Friday or Saturday.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sorry ozzie.

tone and irony and sarcasm (i'm a lover of sarcasm) don't translate well on the internet, and it was just a case of me not "getting it"

that sword cuts me both ways, too.  most of the time people assume i am being a d!ck, when i am also just kidding.

the overarching theme here (as it was on the 'old forum') is that when two people have met in real life, later, when they goof on the forum, each knows the other is kidding. 

but if you haven't met someone, it always tends to read like dooshiness.

the other aspect is i really think there is a difference among the differents areas of the country.

fishless "hears" my tone pretty much spot on.  he grew up maybe two miles from where i did.  and where we grew up, sarcasm is basically the social currency.  anyone can "be nice" and polite.  instead, we tend to totally rag on each other and mock, deride, etc.

sounds harsh, but the reality is, if we don't like someone, we just nod and act perfunctory, 'polite' and keep moving.  only when you like someone here do you give them cr^p.

it's why people think it is such a harsh part of the country.  they are used to genteel politeness.  we see that as a mask though, and don't care for masks. 

so the first thing we do to new people who we like is treat them like they are "one of us", which is pretty harsh for the uninitiated.

i have an email chain going with a few forum (and ex-forum) members which chain typically is punctuated by the non-sequitur "also, f*** steven", when steven isn't even involved in the conversation.

if we never told him to eff off, how would he know we liked him?

long way of saying, no worries, and apologies for biting on the bait.

i hate emoticons, but every three months or so have to drop back to using them, because otherwise the newbies (and people i haven't met) can't help but think i'm being an ass.  i am.  on purpose.  but not "for real".

and conversely, i have to realize that it is possible for me to be misreading things too.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I found a 3 pack of ribs from Sam's Club that were from early part of 2014 in my beer fridge freezer. A nice little surprise I came across. Good as new.

Now it has me thinking about my freezer burn ribeyes I forgot about in butcher paper from 2 years ago in the freezer. I'll maybe have to give them a go
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    edited February 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I'm sorry, but I do not understand why you have this recurring stock phrase/story in the quiver.  It's odd. Please don't do this anymore. 
    I even said: Come on man...I was paying you a compliment and you know it. But I guess I still offended you, so I apologize.  Don't worry - I won't be mentioning you in the future.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    was re this ron (not the frozen food issue), "he probably is either resting from an all nighter job he had to deliver today or has dimmed the street lights in a 9 block area sucking up all the excess electricity powering all the computers and graphic printers he uses to run the software he utilizes. You think I'm kidding? - not much!"

not sure how that's a compliment.  just seems uncomfortable and to me it's like "oh i know all about him, here's how he operates"

aside from the fact that it is not correct, it's just 'weird'.  sorry man, it just is uncomfortable. 

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Ok, I understand it's been in the freezer - it's safe to eat.  However, that does not answer the question - "Will it still taste good?"  I have bought great looking ribeyes, only to not be able to grill them right away. Into the freezer they go.  Then they get shuffled around, lost and forgot about until digging deep into the freezer abyss.  And instead of those beautiful ribeyes I bought, I have a package of almost black briquets. 
       So what I am wondering, is there anyway to know if they will still taste decently, or will they be like fishlessman's rawhide rabbit, or is there something to be done in the thawing/cook prep that will help revive them?  Short of thawing and trying them, is there any indicator that they have become dog food?

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    probably very unsafe to eat meat that old.  in fact, you should give it to me along with one of your extra eggs.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle