Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a turkey

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello...
I am newbie at this and I would like to test the Super Buzzard Turkey recipe from Geoffmaw...[p]I really want to impress the guests;>)
Two questions.
One how much BGE charcoal should I use for a 12lb bird Second.. I bought some Pecan "chunks" for smokin. I don't want it to be too smokey and recommendations, caveats etc.for this recipe?[p]TIA for your help
CW

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    calderway,
    Fill it up to the bottom of the fire ring with charcoal. Pecan is a subtle smoke and does a good job with turkey. Use just a couple of chunks.

• JJ,[p]Only a couple of chucks? This is the first time that I have added wood chips, but I would think you need more than that for any effect???[p]John

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    jhgnag,[p] That's all you need. Poultry sucks up smoke like a sponge.[p]Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    jhgnag,
    JJ and GaDawg are tellin' you true. Poultry really absorbs the smoke, and a couple of chunks the size of a plum or smaller, (or a handful of soaked chips...they burn up much quicker tho) stuck right in the glowing coals just before you put the bird in, will give you a good 20 minutes or more of smoke while the bird is cold (which is when it absorbs the most smoke). That, combined with the flavor of the lump, will give you plenty of smoke character. [p]Everybodys' tastebuds are different though....start out light and increase to suit your taste, and that of your guests.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GaDawg,[p]Thanks guys. We'll give it a try. I only have chips, so as I understand you, I need 1-2 plum size handfuls of the soaked stuff, right?[p]John

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    jhgnag,
    Yep, that will do you just fine. Enjoy the bird and have a great Thanksgiving Day.
    JJ

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    jhgnag,
    That much will give a lot of smoke flavor. Adding none gives a nice hint of smoke and adding a small pinch (like a small grab of potato chips) will give a REAL Grand smoke taste - so pick your amount. If you use hickory or mesquite (too heavy for my taste) it would take less.
    I agree with JJ, pecan is best for turkey.[p]Tim