Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Meets Joetisserie - A New Dimension In Egging

Options

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @DaveRichardson couldn't hurt to ask. They might welcome a visit.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @DaveRichardson ... just be sure to wear your BGE shirt when you go!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• willymcnilly
    Options
    I am interested in this - however I have a question about using a rotisserie with the BGE.  I have a special "cage" rotisserie for my Weber Kettle that I use all the time for whole chickens, pork loin and others.  With the kettle I can bank the coals so that the fat is not dripping directly into the coals.  I find there is an excessive amount of fat dripping from chicken legs or whole chickens from the leg section.  If you have this dripping directly into the coals you are smoking your meat with an excessive amount of burning grease and also could have grease fires at high temperatures.  I routinely rotisserie my chickens at 450 to 500 range.  I also have cooked many rib roasts or striploin roasts direct on the BGE at 350 degree range and found the taste of my meat being smoked with the aerosolized fat to be almost intolerable.  I prefer a gentle smoke flavour with apple, pecan wood etc.  Can someone comment on how they avoid this with the Kamado Joe rotisserie on the BGE.  I have a large BGE. 

Thanks.

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I am interested in this - however I have a question about using a rotisserie with the BGE.  I have a special "cage" rotisserie for my Weber Kettle that I use all the time for whole chickens, pork loin and others.  With the kettle I can bank the coals so that the fat is not dripping directly into the coals.  I find there is an excessive amount of fat dripping from chicken legs or whole chickens from the leg section.  If you have this dripping directly into the coals you are smoking your meat with an excessive amount of burning grease and also could have grease fires at high temperatures.  I routinely rotisserie my chickens at 450 to 500 range.  I also have cooked many rib roasts or striploin roasts direct on the BGE at 350 degree range and found the taste of my meat being smoked with the aerosolized fat to be almost intolerable.  I prefer a gentle smoke flavour with apple, pecan wood etc.  Can someone comment on how they avoid this with the Kamado Joe rotisserie on the BGE.  I have a large BGE. 

Thanks.
    All I got is "Good Question"
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Dredger
    Options
    @willymcnilly I thought about this when we got the Joetisserie. This was my first use of it and it wasn't a problem. We kept the egg at 350 and had no flair ups at that temp. However, if it had become an issue, we have the spider,13" stone, and drip pan from CGS that we could have thrown in to control it. We have a lot to learn about using a rotisserie on the egg and would appreciate any insight more experienced rotisserie junkies could share.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • miniegghead
    Options
    If you wanted to avoid drippings I would recommend you purchase a lower rack and a stainless steel pan to collect the drippings. To be creative you could fill the pan with apple or pineapple juice. You can still use beer and have the effect of beer can chicken. I have used rum and whiskey for a ribroast. I also done pork with dr pepper and root beer cola. I also done veggies and seafood in a tumble basket with vodka and lemon. Possibles are end less. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

Thanks.
    A loaf pan could be used to act as a drip pan and split the bed of coals so they are to the sides. Something like this might work ok:

http://www.amazon.com/USA-Bakeware-Aluminized-Steel-2-75/dp/B0029JQEIC/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455124528&sr=1-8&keywords=loaf+pan

Weber makes charcoal baskets for the kettles to split the charcoal into two sides and leave the center an indirect zone. These might work in a Large Egg:

http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/1286
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• willymcnilly
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.  I have used a Weber and rotisserie for many years.  In the past, I even put loaf pans in the middle directly under the meat with water in it.  However this led to the problem of having to dispose of the extremely fatty water afterwards which I would put in old waxed milk or juice containers with newspapers (I didn't want to pour this down my drain).  Now I just let the fat drip into the bottom of the kettle and it runs into the ash collector.  There is always some aerosolization of the fat no matter what you do (especially at high temperatures) - however I prefer not to have to use water pans because of the disposal issue.  The aforementioned Weber baskets do not fit into the BGE as I have those.  Trying to create banked sections of coal in the Large BGE is not easy to do.  To avoid flare-ups you have to cook at a lower temperature but then that does not produce the beautiful crispy skin that the higher temperatures do.  This was a huge problem for me when I just wanted to cook chicken legs.  For those, I use a raised grate in my kettle with banked coals because of the excessive fat.  Anyway, thanks for your time.

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks.
    My solution:

i stack my my lump on one side of the firebox. I take a round aluminum pie pan and shape it to fit in the rest of the firebox. The meat spins over the pie pan and it catches my fat. The pie pan isn't getting hot enough to vaporize the drippings. If you find that becomes an issue by cooking at higher temperatures, add water to the pie pan. I cook between 300-350 with no issues.  

I have spun chicken, prime rib, and a fatty pork butt. I've had no issues with off flavoring due to vaporized fat drippings (I too am very sensitive to that off flavor)  and my firebox has stayed nice and clean. 

Edit:  you can see part of the pie pan in this picture. 

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • willymcnilly
    Options
    @chrissc133:  Is the meat right in the centre in your picture or slightly toward the front of the grill.  That is, does the Joetisserie position the meat naturally toward the front of the grill?  Thanks.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options

Thanks.

There are videos on Youtube where KJ's house chef uses the Joetisserie. In those videos, he banks the coal against the rear of the firebox, most likely for the reason you ask.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    5% off coupon on the 'Yard & Pool' website, total price shipped is $237.49
    Where is this.? I'm not seeing free shipping either may pull the trigger. Thanks.
    Seattle, WA
  • chrisc133
    Options
    @chrissc133:  Is the meat right in the centre in your picture or slightly toward the front of the grill.  That is, does the Joetisserie position the meat naturally toward the front of the grill?  Thanks.
    The meat sits about dead middle. Here's a pic. From inner lip to inner lip it's about 18.5 in. The meat sits at about 9.5 in. 

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.  I have used a Weber and rotisserie for many years.  In the past, I even put loaf pans in the middle directly under the meat with water in it.  However this led to the problem of having to dispose of the extremely fatty water afterwards which I would put in old waxed milk or juice containers with newspapers (I didn't want to pour this down my drain).  Now I just let the fat drip into the bottom of the kettle and it runs into the ash collector.  There is always some aerosolization of the fat no matter what you do (especially at high temperatures) - however I prefer not to have to use water pans because of the disposal issue.  The aforementioned Weber baskets do not fit into the BGE as I have those.  Trying to create banked sections of coal in the Large BGE is not easy to do.  To avoid flare-ups you have to cook at a lower temperature but then that does not produce the beautiful crispy skin that the higher temperatures do.  This was a huge problem for me when I just wanted to cook chicken legs.  For those, I use a raised grate in my kettle with banked coals because of the excessive fat.  Anyway, thanks for your time.

A bit surprised the Weber baskets wouldn't fit inside a large egg.

I just measured the baskets I have for my kettle and the length along the flat side is only 14" and the max width of the curved part is 5".

Those couldn't be propped on top of the fire ring? Might need to cut a few lengths of steel rod to lay across the fire ring to create a surface for the baskets to set on. Or maybe take the fire ring out and just rest them on the firebox?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @chrisc133 I had not noticed that pan before. We have yet to do beef or pork, but had no issues with the chicken causing flair ups. Keep the ideas coming everyone and thanks.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Very cool. I've been getting curious about roti cooking. This may be my in. But for now. I have enough toys!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy I usually consider applications and then make up my mind, but this was the missing piece of the pie for cooking perfection for us. All I needed to know was whether it would work on the egg or not. Doin a happy dance. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Where is this.? I'm not seeing free shipping either may pull the trigger. Thanks.
    ?
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    SkinnyV said:
    SoCalTim said:
    ?
    A pop up came up when I first went to the site. Maybe you can call them??
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Is yard and pool the fireside site? Also where did you see free shipping. Shows $17 for me. Thanks.
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Is yard and pool the fireside site? Also where did you see free shipping. Shows $17 for me. Thanks.
    The 5% discount came up when I first went to the site. The shipping is free. Period. He's a picture of my invoice. Yes, Yard & Pool is the website.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Sorry if it had been asked, covered.  But what is the wedge thay gets sandwiched between the egg top and bottom material made of?
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @SoCalTim thanks, ordered. I was on the wrong site.

my dealer did not have them and quoted me $280 before tax....
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    @SoCalTim thanks, ordered. I was on the wrong site.

my dealer did not have them and quoted me $280 before tax....
    I know you already placed your order, but if you Google 'Joetisserie' the page that comes up has the free shipping no tax deal just to the right.
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Please, please, someone bring one of these to the Ga Mtn Eggfest so we can sample the chicken!!!!
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    @SoCalTim I meant I did order. Got the free shipping and 5% off thanks
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    This might be a complimentary addition to the Joetisserie then.  Keep the coals to one side with the center divider and the plate at the lower left side.  Pull the center divider and the plate, then you have a Stainless Steel KAB-like basket for "normal" cooks.

• chrisc133
    Options
    This might be a complimentary addition to the Joetisserie then.  Keep the coals to one side with the center divider and the plate at the lower left side.  Pull the center divider and the plate, then you have a Stainless Steel KAB-like basket for "normal" cooks.

I looked at a couple options like this before I actually got my unit. I honestly haven't found any problems stacking the lump in the back of the firebox. I know someone on this thread posted earlier saying it isn't that easy ...but no problems here. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    The real advantage would be if you were thinking about buying a KAB ... currently going for $59.  Then the Fire Box would be a viable choice ... currently going for $79. 

• bigbadben
    Options

I found found this picture on Facebook. Kamadomate is the first generation of the joetissary. Hope this helps