Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open Pit Style Chicken and an CI Apple Crisp

Options
  As a kid we used to cook a bunch of chicken on an open pit and I've been trying to recreate that taste on the egg.  I've gotten close but never spot on.  Today was SPOT on.  @Darby_Crenshaw  made a comment a week or two ago about liking his chicken cooked low n slow and that got me to thinking.  So I decided to go about 4" above the gasket at about 250° direct rubbed with BBBR and Dizzy Dust with 2 chunks of white oak and 1 chunk of cherry  I figured go big or go home. This is about 2hrs into the cook

Meanwhile I got the dessert going on the small. Just a CI Apple Crisp. 

After 3hrs the chicken was at 160ish in the thighs and I moved it down to gasket level just to crisp everything up a bit.  This was after going skin down for 30mins

Plated up with some purple cabbage slaw(same kind as last week because I needed to use up the cabbage) and waiting on dessert to get done.  

And dessert is ready 

No plated pics of dessert because I just forgot.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That plated pic looks crazy good. When you cooked skin side down at the end was it still at 250 degrees? 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2016
    Options
    250-300, just move to gasket level.  And thank you!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.