Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll: Breast Up, Breast Down, Flip it Over?

Options
Mike Oelrich
Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,[p] Cooked last year's turkey breast-up for the entire time. Curious to know if anyone starts off breast down, then flips. Cook's Illustrated recommends starting the bird breast down, then turning it several times so that all sides of the turkey are up for part of the cook. Sounds a bit too complicated, especially considering that the BGE seems to cook pretty evenly anyway. Not sure it really matters so I thought I'd ask. What do y'all do?[p]MikeO

Comments

• MikeO,[p]
    I do more turkey breast than anything else on my Egg. I leave it breast side up . . . and alone. Coat them with olive oil and wait for 170/175 internal. Never fails.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    MikeO,[p]In talking with Geoff ("Super Buzzard" recipe), I learned that he cooks and then gives them as Christmas presents. I thought the idea was great. What better present than something that actually represents time and effort on the givers part, yet not have to worry about what to do with it once received. I took up the practice two years ago and can report nothing but raves.[p]When cooking in a rack (over a drip pan), my best looking birds were done by cooking half the time on each side. I like to use a lower cooking temp than most here and finish the skin (if needed) breast side up, using higher heat.[p]Happy Thanksgiving,
    Spin

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    MikeO,
    Breast down the whole time here! Very tender and juicy.