Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Bowl Sunday has begun

Options
Trimmed and prepped a 14lb packer yesterday. Woke up at 4:15am only to realize I only had a firebox full of Fogo lump left. Argh. Guess it is in with the brisket and reload if necessary early afternoon. In my years of egging never had to add lump. Assume I need to pull the meat for a bit when I dump in more fuel to burn the VOCs. Chime in for those who have done this. Regardless
good eats await and Go Panthers. 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At least I have a good seal on the egg. :lol:   Not
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I can't think of a better way to start Super Bowl Sunday. Looks good so far, hoping you will not need to pull. If you wrap, it should take some serious time off the clock. Good luck on the Brisket!
    Go Broncos!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    In the early days I did not load enough lump and ran out once or twice during the over nighters.  I would definitely remove the meat and tent with foil while you add more lump and let the smoke run clear. Added about 30 minutes but no foul taste. I am sure it will be awesome! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I would hope it makes it but if you wrap, then j don't see why you'd need to pull it for the refill burn. 

If not wrapped- wrap and cooler for the 10 min you recharge would be my take. 

Good to see I'm not alone this early morning with post oak and brisket smells on my pjs! 

Go Broncos!!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Curveball Brisket on Super Bowl Sunday. Never had that particular problem but see no harm in going to butcher paper (or the dreaded foil) while letting the VOC's burn off for 10 mins or so.

Thanks for adding to the knowledge base, unintentionally tho it may be!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • cheffy65
    Options

Nothing like the smell of pork and hickory in the morning!

• Chubbs
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    I would hope it makes it but...
    Yeah I might sneak by. I have done 32 straight hours on one load in large up to fire ring. I hope a whole firebox can make it. We will see. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Good luck. I bet you'll make it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Chubbs
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Good luck. I bet you'll make it. 
    We will see. Either way hard to beat Smoked Bronco. Go Panthers
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Good luck with the cook.  You should make it as long as you don't peek during the cook.  
    Sounds like time to reassess your lump inventory program ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good luck with the cook.  You should make it as long as you don't peek during the cook.  
    Sounds like time to reassess your lump inventory program ;)
    Haha. Unfortunately I only have room for 2 to 3 bags max in my storage. My provider of Fogo was out this week. I thought I had enough to fill egg for today but apparently not. I just like adding an extra layer of complexity to break up the monotony
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a brisket rolling too....

Have a good smoke today, Chubbs!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Have two small pork butts on since last night. Ribs going on at 9. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Chubbs
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'll swap you when done :lol: 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

I'll swap you when done :lol: 
    Nah, remember...<<<<<<<hack!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    jabam said:
    Have two small pork butts on since last night. Ribs going on at 9. 
    Nice man. Enjoy
  • Chubbs
    Options

cazzy said:

Is that bronco meat or panther meat? I am smoking some Bronco
  • cazzy
    Options
    Chubbs said:

cazzy said:

Is that bronco meat or panther meat? I am smoking some Bronco
    I can't say I really have a preference either way.  However, I do think the Panthers are going to be too much for them.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Butts still rollin....ribs are on!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Whelp fuel ran out. Had to dump more in top and taking a long time to burn clean. Also weird burning from bottom. Not an ideal situation and now I know why I always have extra charcoal. Won't run out again that's for sure. Brisket is in oven at 225 while egg bounces back. She is looking perrty tho! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great audible-at least you were prepared for the challenge.  Now the whole house smells good.  There's big +.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great audible-at least you were prepared for the challenge.  Now the whole house smells good.  There's big +.
    Haha. Back on egg. She went to the clock for a 30 minute break now drinking more smoke. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Had a big gathering plan but son got sick. Still cooking but toned down portions, spares on now. Wings and sausage on deck. Eggs have been idle for few weeks now, time to get em back up and going.

btw guys spray ribs every hour yay or nay.? In the past I don't bother , spray or foiling. 
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    My vote-keep it simple-no spray and no foil but if the company wants "fall of the bone" then foil has to come in to play. 
    Hope you son is doing better.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah same camp, no company today but my 6 year old smiled and licked his lips when dad said ribs, wings and sausage. They learn young. Cheers all!
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SkinnyV - you have taught him well.  Great excuse for "his smaller BGE".  And that is a spread you have going-enjoy the cooks and eats.
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    You had me until go panthers...;) looking good though
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Just pulled my Bronco Butt just came off.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.