Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Apple or Droid

I currently have an iPhone... Starting to get all these pop up adds to go to the AppStore ... And even though it's an iPhone due to recent updates won't sync pics to my mac book...

im about / considering going back to droid
any negative feed back

Comments

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Do you have some setting that are not right? I have an iPhone 6 and have no pop up adds and photos upload almost instantly to my macbook. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I currently have a Samsung (note, Just got it)  for work and an iPhone 6 Plus for personal use.  I like both phones; however, I think my iPhone is nicer.  It interfaces better with my cars, and laptops. Camera is better on the Samsung but not by much.  My note seems to need to be rebooted regularly  (IT guy may done something wrong idk).  It seems like every time it try to launch a few programs it stops working.  

If if you like to tinker with your phone and really make it your own then you'll want a droid.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2016
    I have a Nexus 6P and it is the best phone I've used thus far.  I switched to Android after the 5 and haven't found the droid experience I was looking for until now.  Combined with Project Fi, my experience is so good, I'll probably never go back to Apple.  I'm probably looking at a $22 phone bill this month!!   =)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited February 2016
    I have a iPhone 5S and it's been a loser from right out of the box.  It freezes and acts funky about once a month and the only fix is a total reset.  Going back to droid when my contract is up this summer.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2016
    I have a 6s and goes to Mac but only when both are on Wifi. Also goes to iPad but still must be in wifi. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    SWMBO and my two adult sons drank the iPhone Kool-Aid a few years ago.  I stayed with Samsung android and am glad I did.  Not that they have any real phone issues, but I think Apple tries to exert the "We know what's right for you" position too often for me.  (The preceding comment based on moving to an iMac desktop from Windows based a couple of years ago.)  But I am technologically challenged these days...and will remain so for the duration.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited February 2016
    I've had a couple dud Android phones in the past (especially my Galaxy S4) but my wife's S4 has had better luck up until a month ago. I've had the Note 4 the last 10 months and have had zero issues thus far. Best phone I've owned. Love the screen size and becomes normal over time. I also really dig the Note S pen. Great for quick notes and clipart  My next phone will be another Note
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    iPhone 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cazzy said:
    Combined with Project Fi, my experience is so good, I'll probably never go back to Apple.  I'm probably looking at a $22 phone bill this month!!   =)

@cazzy , I'm jealous!  How'd  you get into Project Fi? 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Sweet100s said:
    cazzy said:
    Combined with Project Fi, my experience is so good, I'll probably never go back to Apple.  I'm probably looking at a $22 phone bill this month!!   =)

@cazzy , I'm jealous!  How'd  you get into Project Fi? 
    Just signed up for it.  Took about a week and I got my invite.  You have to have a Nexus 5X, 6 or 6P though.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I switched to Android a couple of years ago and will never go back.  The reason is an app called Tasker that will allow you to automate many things on your phone.  Apple will never give you that kind of flexibility.

Examples:
    1.  When I pull into the parking lot at work, phone immediately changes to vibrate and turns off wifi and bluetooth to save battery.  Puts it back on ringer when I leave.

2. When my calendar shows me in a meeting and I receive a text from my wife the phone texts her back and tells her I'm in a meeting and will get back to her soon.

3. When I leave work the phone opens Waze and gets the fastest route, texts my wife to tell her I'm on my way and gives her my ETA from Waze.

These kind of conveniences are simple to create and very useful.
  • My wife and I both have Galaxy Note 3 phones and really like them. The S Pen is a great feature, fast for notes, highlight screen shots, etc. They do get buggy every now and then. I just restart and it's all good. Kids are both Apple juice drinkers and swear by them. They also say Galaxy phones are for old people, lol. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited February 2016
    IMO it really boils down to which set of problems is less annoying to you. Both platforms have had a lot of the kinks worked out though. I use Android for my phone and iOS for my tablet, the only thing I wish is that they talked to each other.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @Mosca  makes a very good point about what platform all your family devices are on.  In our household we have iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. I really like that they communicate with each other well, have similar operating systems, and have the same or similar apps.  In a straight up comparison of phones, I could go for either a iPhone or Android based phone. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited February 2016
    I've owned both.  Like anything else, your priorities are going to play a big role in the decision.

Android (let's just say Samsung because they do android best) is better for multitasking and has more customization options both in terms of apps and app integration.

apple has a more stable operating system and very reliable hardware, without huge sacrifices in regards to capability (with the exception of multi tasking.  Seriously Apple, make multi tasking better).

The million dollar question is do you prefer a phone that does more or a phone that does enough for most people and, statistically, breaks less*.

*im defining breakage as software corruption.  Dropping your phone on concrete isn't a manufacturer problem.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Thanks for the replies... Cash fan I changed some settings after the advertising started. Improved for about a month and all of a sudden my phone just directs itself to the App Store .. Doesn't pass go doesn't collect $200 etc

pictures and music will not sync with the Mac ...

ive had better luck when I had droid just using it as a storage device and putting in an SD card and using it like a camera... Stored photos documents etc

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Everything in iCloud for me and all data syncs between my Mac Pro, iPhone and iPad seamlessly.  You have everything up to the current software level?  iCloud Drive on and photos on?   Not sure what you mean about pop us ads directing you to the App Store. Are you in an app when that happens?   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hope this link helps with the pop up redirects:https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=pop+up+adds+sending+iphone+to+apps+store&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=how+to+stop+app+store+pop+ups+on+iphone 
    Photos should sync via I cloud make sure that photo box check on mac in cloud settings
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'm not a fan of something dictating what I want to do, so I'm an Android fan. Currently using a Note 4, which does well and has a great camera and S pen. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Apple fan... 6S and have had no issues or pop ups. 

Someone above mentioned their android automatically responding for them, basically reporting in their whereabouts, no thanks. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I have an LG G3 and my wife has a Nexus 6P on Project Fi. The G3 was awesome until I upgraded to Lollipop, then it got dog slow and battery life was awful. I finally figured out it was due to the encryption policy that was pushed down by our corp Exchange. Finally found a solution by switching to Nine instead of the built in email client. It creates a sandbox for corp connectivity and now only Nine's contents are encrypted instead of the entire phone. Much better now.

I'm super jealous of my wife's 6P, I'll probably end up upgrading eventually.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DuckDogDr
    4Runner, nah it does it from everywhere.. It's really bad on another forum.. I'll go for several days where I can't read a single discussion due to App Store re- direction
  • 4Runner
    @DuckDogDr - that is just weird.  I would wipe it and start as a new phone.  Not restore backup.  You have gotten into something. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Are you talking abiut the intercepts that recomend you download forum specific software? If so the only idea i have is that you could have turned on privacy mode or turned off cookies that would remember your preferences.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • 4Runner
    matoch said:
    Are you talking abiut the intercepts that recomend you download forum specific software? If so the only idea i have is that you could have turned on privacy mode or turned off cookies that would remember your preferences.
    Didn't think about that. I do get that on certain forums.  That's not an Apple thing though and an easily ignored.  I'm thinking this is something different.   
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I use Apple. But it's what I started with. I have Apple TV as well, so I guess I will stick with them. For clarity, I'm not good enough with computers, smart phones, etc, etc, to really give a informed opinion on them. Had I started with Droid, I would probably have stuck with it. I'm a real creature of habit and repetition. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Note 4 here...love the S Pen, external SD card storage and replaceable battery
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but if Apple was a Canadian company (where I am from), I expect that they would get a lot of customer loyalty here, for all the jobs and side benefits they create.  Especially vs Samsung which never had an original thought in their head.  They are cheap knock off artists who copy for a living.  Why they get so much support in America is beyond me.  All it takes is a little research to find out that they have a horrible track record in business ethics.  There will never be a Samsung product in my house.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • DuckDogDr
    4 runner, I turned off Java .. I read that on a help discussion so we'll see how that works
  • DuckDogDr
    4 runner, I turned off Java .. I read that on a help discussion so we'll see how that works