Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14 pounds o' burnt ends

Options
So, on a whim, I called a local butcher and asked if he would be willing to save a couple brisket points, when they cut up a packer.   He seemed surprised by the request, and told me "Normally we grind them up, but yeah, I can save you a couple."

When I walked into the shop, I told him my name and he recalled that I was the "brisket point" guy.  He went into the back, and came out with a gigantic cryovac'd bag with two massive points.  He dropped it down on the counter with a thud, and I saw that it weighed 14.37 lbs.  He smiled and said "I got you some big ones."

These monsters will be delivered to a Super Bowl party tomorrow as burnt ends.  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

For reference, the cutting board those things are on is 12"x18".    

After trimming them up a bit, and scoring the fat.  The one on the left has the fat cap down

And, after a liberal rub of brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper and espresso powder.  

They go on the Egg here in about 20 min.  They should be done sometime around noon or so.  Egg is steady at 275, with hickory and apple.   

If I would have known that I could just call a butcher and get a brisket point without having to buy the flat, I would have done it years ago.  I hope this turns out as good as last time.  

14 pounds!  GOOD GOD!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Unless you are in TX that is some expensive ground meat they out out. That's about $80 where I am. Nice score and good eats await. Have a packer on right now. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The best part of a cow going totally for burnt ends? I have done some with the point, but not all. Those will be delicious!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    @Chubbs You got me thinking. At our local grocery store, a lb of ground beef goes for $3.98.   That would end up being about $57.19, if the butcher prices them as ground meat.   I ended up paying $50.19, or about $3.49 per pound.  

Tough to say if I was charged the ground beef price, or the packer brisket price.  They are both fairly close.  

As of 6:30am, the temp crept up to 297, and 133 internal.  I tapped the damper door a bit, and hopefully I can bring it down to about 265-270. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

They shrunk a bit during the cook. And, for only weighing about 6-7lbs each after trimming they took forever to come to temp.   At 6:30 they were at 133 IT.  At 11:00 they climbed to 154, where they stayed for hours.  Ended up cooking these for about 14 hours!

I had to foil them to get them done by kickoff.  Chopped them up, put a bit more rub on, and put on some Rudy's original sauce and gave them a toss.  

I was was pretty happy with them! They went quick at the party.  That's as big of a compliment as I could ask for!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    YUM!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe