Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rosemary Wood--for smokin'(?)

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
It's just past 8:00am out here in New Mexico, and since walking the dogs, I'm now on my first honey-do: taking out a large but half-dead rosemary shrub. Fair amount of dry branches and trunk pieces that I could squirrel away, if any of you know it to be good for flavoring meats, chicken, fish, etc. Methinks I recall someone using it or rosemary leaves on slow cooks in the past, but want to make sure.
Let me know what you think, and as always, thanks in advance for your reply and suggestions!
Big Murth

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I've use rosemary sprigs on the coals when doing chicken, and it makes a great addition. One word of caution: it can be overpowering so I'd use the wood sparingly.[p]Ken

• Unknown
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I use them sparingly on duck,poultry and lamb. Nice flavor, but as bluesmoke says not too heavy.

• Dixieland Delights
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]My BGE dealer gave me a 33 gallon bag full of the remains of a rosemary bush. I used it sparingly on a double smoked ham and it was the best we ever had. The best use I found is making the branches into skewers for shish or beef kabobs, pork tenderloin medalions, and chicken. Seafood gets overpowered but everything else is great...don't forget to soak the skewers![p]Dixieland Delights