Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waaaayyy OT!!! Concealed carry opinion

Options

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    ksmyrl said:
    Ruger SR22. Perfect carry pistol for me and a ton of fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap too.
    The saying goes something along the lines of the best pistol in a gun fight is the one you have, but I can't take this comment seriously. 22 is just not a caliber that should be used in self defense unless it is your only option. The guns are great to practice with, but the terminal ballistics are a joke for self defense. A lot of people would argue 380 isn't capable of performing well enough on target to be taken seriously as a defense round. I won't debate that, but 22 is way too small to use unless it is literally the only thing you have. 
    Still wouldn't want to get shot by one...
    I heard that!!!! I'm actually looking at a concealed carry and probably going to get a .22 target pistol for plinking too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Howsabout a snub nose 38? In all the old movies you see lots of those. Have they fallen out of fashion just like zoot suits?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Anyone who says they have no experience with handguns should not opt for a semi auto.  Your handgun is a revolver until you train up.  I would suggest a Ruger SP-101.  My carry is a Glock 26.  I am a Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    ksmyrl said:
    Ruger SR22. Perfect carry pistol for me and a ton of fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap too.
    The saying goes something along the lines of the best pistol in a gun fight is the one you have, but I can't take this comment seriously. 22 is just not a caliber that should be used in self defense unless it is your only option. The guns are great to practice with, but the terminal ballistics are a joke for self defense. A lot of people would argue 380 isn't capable of performing well enough on target to be taken seriously as a defense round. I won't debate that, but 22 is way too small to use unless it is literally the only thing you have. 
    A 22 into the brain is very lethal.  I wouldn't call that a joke.
    Please don't get too cavalier with your attitude that the ballistics of a 22 are a joke.  That's how deadly accidents happen.

As for your comment about a 380, I have to agree, the only 380 I used to own was a piece of crap, horrible accuracy, I would much rather have my 22 revolver than it.  Oh yeah, that's why I sold the 380 and not my 22.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I just carry the knife that @Cazzy recommended for brisket slicing double bladed and pretend that I'm Deadpool........

That's just me though! =)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If interested in the Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm Gunbuyer.com just restocked their Shield for $349.99 within the last few hours. (Free shipping and no transaction card fee) I don't think you can find it any cheaper. My Dad talked to one of the local gun shop owners to transfer the FFL and the guy was insulted by the price we bought them for. The owner demanded to know where we bought them and that it was illegal to sell them that cheap as a dealer. (complete b.s) Eventually the gun shop owner hung up on my dad because he was so upset. (Won't be purchasing any ammo or accessories from that shop) I have a great dealer down the road and he says they can't buy the Shield cheaper than $366. Definitely worth checking out. The last batch sold out in 1.5 days. Just wanted to pass on the info.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Those that need to know what I carry will find out. Their day will be ruined.
    I will say this; train until you are an expert, then train some more.
    Your life and those of your loved one's depend on it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You don't have to have big guns for CC. You need very good ammo. 
    Have a Texas lic and use my Sig P238 in .380 or my Glock 43 in 9mm. The ammo will take care of a problem. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I can pocket carry both of the above. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the advice.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Walther P22 for its small size and bad @ass appearance for walking around.  Granted, it's just a noise maker for the reasons cited above, but maybe the noise will make the perp decide to leave.  S&W 9mm with home defense rounds for home defense.  Your ammo matters. 
    I've always wanted a P22 for plinking, but after reading reviews on it, I think I'll pass.  There are some cool 22 mags out there...and of course the FN Five Seven, while not a small gun, for its size has unrivaled firepower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

S&W Shield 9mm--compact light and accurate, no matter what you do choose, practice, practice, practice. This is a tool and you better know how to use it if you need to.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    I carry a NA 22 mag....why?.....its small & simple enough to carry all the time no matter how I dress..I'm never without it...if you're gonna spend $500-$800 on a permit and gun...make sure you're gonna carry it...

p2.jpg 35.1K
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Friend let me try out his Bersa Thunder .380 - loved it! Decently priced too. Accurate and easy to carry.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Another S&W Shield 9mm enthusiast here. 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Walther P22 for its small size and bad @ass appearance for walking around.  Granted, it's just a noise maker for the reasons cited above, but maybe the noise will make the perp decide to leave.  S&W 9mm with home defense rounds for home defense.  Your ammo matters. 
    I've always wanted a P22 for plinking, but after reading reviews on it, I think I'll pass.  There are some cool 22 mags out there...and of course the FN Five Seven, while not a small gun, for its size has unrivaled firepower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

I was going to buy an F&N Five Seven a few years ago but getting ammo for it was near impossible (at least at a reasonable price - and even a reasonable price is still pretty expensive). Has the availability of ammo for those eased up these days?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• clifkincaid
    Options
    G19 gen 3 for me! 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited February 2016
    Options
    G19 gen 3 for me! 
    I'm thinking about the 19 or 17 for home.  Are you saying the Gen 3 is what you own or you like it over the Gen 4?  If so, why?
    Flint, Michigan
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    tamu2009 said:
    ksmyrl said:
    Please don't get too cavalier with your attitude that the ballistics of a 22 are a joke.  That's how deadly accidents happen.

As for your comment about a 380, I have to agree, the only 380 I used to own was a piece of crap, horrible accuracy, I would much rather have my 22 revolver than it.  Oh yeah, that's why I sold the 380 and not my 22.
    I'm not being cavalier. Would I want to be shot by a 22? No I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't to be tased either, but that doesn't make it the best option for self defense.

Sure a 22 to the brain would be lethal, but in a HIGH stress situation do you really think you're going to be able to hit someone in the head? That's just about the smallest part of a body to aim for and also the part that moves quite a lot. I'm not aiming for the head because I know (and even though I train twice a month or so) that I'm not likely to hit the head consistently. And I don't want to hear "oh well I hit it at the range at 25 yards all the time" because that's not real world SHTF and I'm protecting myself or dying.

22 is a great caliber for training and general fun, but I can't take it seriously as a self defense round. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options

G19 gen 3 for me! 
    I'm thinking about the 19 or 17 for home.  Are you saying the Gen 3 is what you own or you like it over the Gen 4?  If so, why?
    I went with the Gen4 for a couple of reasons. First was I couldn't find a Gen3 so I was forced to handle the Gen4. When I handled the Gen4 I really liked the interchangeable back straps. I went with the smallest one with beaver tail and it gave me just enough extra depth to the grip to make it fit perfectly and i really like the beaver tail to get as high on the grip as possible without worrying about slide bite at all. 

I woulnd't hesitate to buy a gen3 if I could find one. You can't go wrong with either.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    tamu2009 said:

G19 gen 3 for me! 
    I went with the Gen4 for a couple of reasons. First was I couldn't find a Gen3 so I was forced to handle the Gen4. When I handled the Gen4 I really liked the interchangeable back straps. I went with the smallest one with beaver tail and it gave me just enough extra depth to the grip to make it fit perfectly and i really like the beaver tail to get as high on the grip as possible without worrying about slide bite at all. 

I woulnd't hesitate to buy a gen3 if I could find one. You can't go wrong with either.
    Thanks for your insight.  I gotta put them in my hand.  From what I understand, my Kahr PM-9 is considered by many as the single stack "Glock" that Glock wasn't making until the 43 was introduced.  My Kahr is a sweet shooter so I imagine I will be happy with a Glock.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    The new Glock 43 (I think that's it...) is a single stack 9mm.  Its a great CC piece.  Shot one at the range recently and placed an order immediately.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Sure a 22 to the brain would be lethal, but in a HIGH stress situation do you really think you're going to be able to hit someone in the head? 

I'll try and find the link but an ex LEO from Ohio spent 13 years studying self-defense instances all across the nation and amassed quite a bit of data on weapons, caliber, etc....interesting facts came out
       1. an average of only 1.7 shots are fired
       2. 98% of the time..one shot to any part of the attackers body ended the confrontation regardless of caliber

Like others have posted...carry what you're comfortable with but carry it...
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    Smith & Wesson M&P ftw. Plus they are a great company. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Uh oh!  It appears the buffalo thought we are a bunch of buffalo hunters.

Flint, Michigan
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Zmokin said:
    tamu2009 said:
    ksmyrl said:

I'm not being cavalier. Would I want to be shot by a 22? No I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't to be tased either, but that doesn't make it the best option for self defense.

Sure a 22 to the brain would be lethal, but in a HIGH stress situation do you really think you're going to be able to hit someone in the head? That's just about the smallest part of a body to aim for and also the part that moves quite a lot. I'm not aiming for the head because I know (and even though I train twice a month or so) that I'm not likely to hit the head consistently. And I don't want to hear "oh well I hit it at the range at 25 yards all the time" because that's not real world SHTF and I'm protecting myself or dying.

22 is a great caliber for training and general fun, but I can't take it seriously as a self defense round. 

Well, people use 22's to kill alligators and other people, and I know of a kid a couple of years ago killed by .177 pellet gun shot to the heart.  So if someone pointed a 22 at you, you wouldn't take it seriously?  If it is serious enough as an aggressor, why isn't it serious as defense?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The aggressor has the advantage of forethought (usually) and more times than not the advantage of surprise.  This allows the aggressor to calmly aim and fire at fish in a barrel.  The defense has to respond to a high stress life or death situation which severely reduces most people's ability to shoot straight.  Apples and oranges my friend.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    This is going to be my next carry piece in .454 Casull. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Alaskan

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I have one of these for extreme conditions
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography