Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question Regarding Baking Stone

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To cook pizza or quesadillos using a plate setter and baking stone, do you put the plate setter and baking stone in the egg immediately after you start the coals, or do you wait until a few minutes before you are ready to cook? Guess the difference would be that the stone will be real hot if you put it in immediately, or will only be warm if you wait and put it in a few minutes before cooking.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    If you are baking bread (pizza, calzones, bread) you want a hot stone when you introduce the bread. So, I put the plate setter and pizza stone in shortly after I start the fire and let them heat up for 30 minutes or so.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thank you sir. One reason I asked was becuse my pizza bread almost burned before the top cooked when I last cooked a pizza. I probably let the egg get too hot -- and will try to avoid that from happening this evening.
  • EggSport
    EggSport Posts: 33
    Options
    Mmmmmm... too hot is hard to do. The deck of a local 'brick oven' pizzeria gets measured with an infrared gun and is well over 1200*F. I do pizza a lot in my 'quasi'commercial Garland gas oven (lined with firebrick) and it is always at max temp which is around 550*F.

In the BGE, one possible problem is when the stone/firebricks/platesetter are too close to the hot coals. Then, your dome temp is not a good indicator of what's going on at the 'stone' surface. I just did my second batch of large (French Country) boules on the plate setter and the bottom still burned just a bit after 30 minutes at 475*F. I think there is still a possibility that the PS surface was actually not fully up to temp, the dough possibly 'sweated' some moisture onto the surface, and it subsequently burned.

No answers for you yet, but keep an open mind. In the meatime, I must defer to TNWhiz.
  • FatLittleDog
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]"I probably let the egg get too hot..."[p]Or you may have too much on top. I think commercial pizza ovens tend to run between 600 and 800 degrees, but it really depends on the kind of pizza you are trying to cook. The thinner the dough/toppings, the hotter you can go - and the faster they will cook. It also helps if you pre-cook your toppings, so that they are just heating up on the grill, not having to cook through.[p]One of my main attractions to the egg is that it can get so HOT so I can do my thin-crust pizzas![p]Happy Egging!

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I've never had any luck cooking pizza directly on the stone, that includes thin crust and thick. I highly recomened you put a second grid on top the stone, and use those disposable pizza cardboard things that you get with take and bakes.[p]You might have caught on to the fact that I don't make the pizza, but I do a few take and bakes. Have only wrecked one pizza since, but I wasn't doing the cooking.

• Unknown
    Options
    eggor, I would have thought those cardboard things would burn up -- but they don't, huh?

• FatLittleDog
    Options
    eggor,[p]If you're talking about cooking directly on the plate setter then I agree with you - I don't cook directly on that. I went out and got a cheapie baking stone and I put that on top of the plate setter to do pizza.[p]But I'm not real fond of the idea of putting cardboard in my egg at high temp. The baking stone seems to add enough mass to even out the heat.[p]Just my $.02
  • Unknown
    Options
    FatLittleDog, the way I cook now is to put a baking stone on top of a plate setter. I too was questioning baking on cardboard.