Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Kitchen Remodel- Sink Question- OT

Options

Remodeling my kitchen DIY style right now. Looking at undermount sinks. We want a single tub stainless undermount sink to go under our concrete countertops.

A google search of options shows various Kraus models that we like, and the price seems too good to be true for 16 gauge steel. Does anyone have this brand sink in their home? Just seems unreal that the suggested MSRP is $900 and find them for $300 in 16 gauge stainless, lifetime warranty, with adequate sound blocking.  Some reviews say not compatible with garbage disposals?? Anyone knows anything about sinks? Trying to eliminate an online order that ends up in a return shipment since it will delay the concrete install. Thanks for help and sorry to post this question here for those who only want to read and view Q posts-- I value everyone's opinion.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    We have a couple of undermount Kraus sinks (installed early 2015), and we've been happy with them.  We also have garbage disposals.  The prices you are quoting seem about right.
    NOLA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    We have a couple of undermount Kraus sinks (installed early 2015), and we've been happy with them.  We also have garbage disposals.  The prices you are quoting seem about right.
    Thanks, that is what I thought. Do you have a single tub sink? Did you have to buy a special flange for the sink to fit your disposal? Did you have to redo some plumbing? The reason I ask is the 100+ review all seem to mention something about the sinks underside not being compatible with their existing plumbing. I expect some minor tweaks, but not redoing everything.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969 may have some info, he helped me a ton

We went with Silgranite under mount single tub. Love the size. I can wash anything I cook in easily. 16" wok, no problem. 
  • grillwell
    Options
    Since the big box stores carry the brand go and have a look at the quality you would be getting.  If you find the right associate at the store they can be helpful in answering your questions re garbage disposal etc.  You don't indicate the online source for the product so just make sure it is a trusted online vendor.  Have fun ;)
  • Chubbs
    Options
    grillwell said:
    Since the big box stores carry the brand go and have a look at the quality you would be getting.  If you find the right associate at the store they can be helpful in answering your questions re garbage disposal etc.  You don't indicate the online source for the product so just make sure it is a trusted online vendor.  Have fun ;)

There are no big box stores anywhere near me that carry this brand sink. It is an online order which is why I am asking for help here.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @Mattman3969 may have some info, he helped me a ton

We went with Silgranite under mount single tub. Love the size. I can wash anything I cook in easily. 16" wok, no problem. 

Yeah we were looking at a composite granite sink in white, but are opting for stainless as the countertops are white concrete, and the cabinets are white. Trying to match 3 colors of white will be too difficult so stainless it is. How big is your sink. This will be a 32 inch single tub.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I can't answer your question but we just remodeled our kitchen and I love the sink we got. It's a little more expensive but it comes with a strainer and cutting board that fits in the grooves in the sink. Really useful when prepping and cleaning up. Link below and here's 2 spatch cleaned and seasoned all in the sink so nothing to clean up. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ruvati-RVH8300-Undermount-Kitchen-Single/dp/B007DQ1Z12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454427670&sr=8-1&keywords=rvh8300
  • Lit
    Options
    Oh and you may have to do some plumbing. If you don't I would say you are lucky. I cut both water and the sewer all the way back and started over.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Lit said:
    Oh and you may have to do some plumbing. If you don't I would say you are lucky. I cut both water and the sewer all the way back and started over.

Yeah I figure I will have to do some. I just redid everything when Columbia, SC went through that flood in October so hoping I don't have to do it again. We will see. Your sink looks great. I like the idea of the groves for the cutting board like that for sure. I will look into it. Thanks man
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Off he top of my head, not sure if the size, but it fills up that base cabinet. I'd say close to 18x32. 
    We went with black composite in white cabinets and the counter top has lots of black veins. I'm really happy with how it turned out. 

Now if if only she'd pick hardware and backsplash....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Friend installed the 30" 16 gauge undermount (HD in Canuckistan was about $500CDN or $350US) and really likes it. He installed a dirt cheap Badger disposal unit and if the sink is empty, it acts like an amplifier and speaker - the noise is unreal. I'm pretty sure the better disposals would be quieter, although with that much metal, it will vibrate more than a cast or "stone" sink. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    We built our home (finished about a year ago) and installed 2 Kraus SS sinks. One in the kitchen and one in the mudroom (we should call it the dog bath room because they both fit in the sink for their baths) My wife ordered online as well and they have been great. I unfortunately don't know what had to be done as it was all handled by the plumber. The kitchen is hooked up to a garbage disposal and works fine. I didn't hear of any issues with the install.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Lit
    Options
    The only thing I can think of on the not compatible with garbage disposals is my new sink came with the part that goes in the bottom hole and it would not have worked with a garbage disposal it had built in strainers that were metal. The garbage disposal that I bought came with its own that fit it and thats what I had to use but I am not sure how a garbage disposal could not fit. Another tip when you install the disposal you can see the little black seal around the drain hole coming out slightly in my pic. Go get some plumbers putty and use it instead for this seal I saw it mentioned in multiple reviews where this seal moves a little and can start to leak. I pulled mine back out and changed it to the putty and haven't had any issues since.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    We just remodeled our kitchen (or technically still remodeling) and installed both a Kraus sink and faucet.  They are extremely well made and the 16 gauge steel is legit.  VERY happy with these items.  I actually scored the sink on a Woot deal for $210.  Went with the 32" single cavity.  We also installed a 1.25 HP American Standard garbage disposal from Costco; pretty big unit.  No issue with a disposal and this sink.  

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    We had a Blanco composite single sink installed last summer, the contractor had to find different fittings for the disposal. I don't know the details but he made it work.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Lit
    Options
    We just remodeled our kitchen (or technically still remodeling) and installed both a Kraus sink and faucet.  They are extremely well made and the 16 gauge steel is legit.  VERY happy with these items.  I actually scored the sink on a Woot deal for $210.  Went with the 32" single cavity.  We also installed a 1.25 HP American Standard garbage disposal from Costco; pretty big unit.  No issue with a disposal and this sink.  

We got that same disposal I think its even on sale for $69 right now. Happy with it so far. Your countertops look exactly like the ones we got is that ceasarstone lagos blue?
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    @Lit I think these were just a grey quartz my wife picked out.  Maybe it was called sparkling grey or something like that.  You know us guys, it's all about the details, obviously.  I do know the island was a quartzite called white macaubas because that line item was significantly higher on the invoice...happy wife, happy life, right?

The damp PNW 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    buzd504 said:
    Thanks, that is what I thought. Do you have a single tub sink? Did you have to buy a special flange for the sink to fit your disposal? Did you have to redo some plumbing? The reason I ask is the 100+ review all seem to mention something about the sinks underside not being compatible with their existing plumbing. I expect some minor tweaks, but not redoing everything.

We were a from-scratch install, so I don't know if it required any specialized plumbing.  We have both two-tub and a smaller single tub, both with disposals.
    NOLA
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Also forgot to mention this accessory to the Kraus sink:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042D34CC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=30UNOEF6R30TX&coliid=IOIPP9TB7QX7P&psc=1

A colander similar to the cool cutting board unit @lit has.
    The damp PNW 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I went commercial ...easy peasy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    @lkapigian that looks awesome; similar to the setup in my lab.  Unfortunately, I don't think I could get SWMBO on board.
    The damp PNW 
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Here are a few shots of the sinks
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Also forgot to mention this accessory to the Kraus sink:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042D34CC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=30UNOEF6R30TX&coliid=IOIPP9TB7QX7P&psc=1

A colander similar to the cool cutting board unit @lit has.
    Damn man. Must be a serious colander. When I click your link it shows price and then says $407 for professional installation :lol: 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Nice @ivanhoe. Looks great. I got the more rounded edges on mine. Thanks for the disposal pic. Not sure what all the reviewers were referring to when said not compatible 
  • Lit
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @chubbs I would bet they are talking about this part not being compatible. I know on my sink the threads on this that it came with don't line up with the disposal threads. I bought a new disposal so it came with its own one of these but if people are ripping out an old sink and reusing the disposal they need to keep this part from their old sink until they confirm the new one fits.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Lit has it I think, the disposal must be compatible with a 3.5" drain opening. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Lit said:
    @chubbs I would bet they are talking about this part not being compatible. I know on my sink the threads on this that it came with don't line up with the disposal threads. I bought a new disposal so it came with its own one of these but if people are ripping out an old sink and reusing the disposal they need to keep this part from their old sink until they confirm the new one fits.
    I think you are right. Has to be what they are talking about. 
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Options
    Not the question you asked, but will plug your mind with more things to think about... positive, flush or negative reveal.  Over the past 5 or so years, it seems like a lot of folks are going with a reveal that shows 1/4 inch of the sink rim.  This seems like a dirt trap, from a cleaning perspective and wiping things into the sink, and indeed I've seen quite a few 'dirty rimmed sinks.'  Just something to think about.

• Chubbs
    Options
    PSHome said:
    Not the question you asked, but will plug your mind with more things to think about... positive, flush or negative reveal.  Over the past 5 or so years, it seems like a lot of folks are going with a reveal that shows 1/4 inch of the sink rim.  This seems like a dirt trap, from a cleaning perspective and wiping things into the sink, and indeed I've seen quite a few 'dirty rimmed sinks.'  Just something to think about.
    No reveal.