Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili Served at Salado After Party 2014

Options

Comments

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @Mickey.......awwwwwwww!  Miss you guys!  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • BamaFanInArky
    Options
    In for later!  Can't wait to try this out.  Thank you for sharing
  • Gilmatica
    Gilmatica Posts: 15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Does the recipe call for 10 TBL of the Pendery's Blend or a 1/2 cup of something else and only 2 TBL of the chili powder?  TIA.

½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder (I use Pendery’s Original Chile Blend)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder (I use Pendery’s Original Chile Blend which is available in the Central Market bulk section or here:  http://www.penderys.com/ )

2 tsp. smoked paprika

2 tsp. cayenne

1 TBL cumin

2 tsp. Mexican oregano

2 tsp. granulated onion

2 tsp. granulated garlic

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Gilmatica
    Options
    If I'm making the recipe for 8 adults is 1.5 gallons enough?  TIA.
  • Gilmatica
    Options
    henapple how much of the Pendery's do I actually use?  Thanks.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Buy fresh chile powder for this, I was caught short once and used some from the back of the cabinet that had some age on it and it showed.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Gilmatica:  You would use a TOTAL of 10 tablespoons of Pendery's Original Chile Powder.  You just get a more accurate measurement doing it this way (1/2 cup plus 2 TBL) rather than measuring out 10 individual tablespoons.  Good luck and ENJOY!!

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Gilmatica
    Options
    Thank you!!!  Would 1.5 gallons be enough for 8 adults? ??
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Gilmatica:  1.5 gallons is 24 cups.....192 oz.....3 cups per person.  I'd think it would be plenty.  Anyone have other feelings about the amount?
    Kelley 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've fed 4 adults and 2 kids with plenty left for me to eat several more meals during the week. 
  • Gilmatica
    Options
  • Gilmatica
    Options
    EggObsessed what type of rub did you use on the brisket you smoked??  Thanks.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Gilmatica:  My husband and I started a small rub business, and we use our own Underwood's "It's My Rub!" Power Blend on it.  You can check out the website at www.itsmyrub.com.
    Kelley 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Gilmatica:  My husband and I started a small rub business, and we use our own Underwood's "It's My Rub!" Power Blend on it.  You can check out the website at www.itsmyrub.com.
    Kelly's rubs are VERY, VERY good.... That she is a sweetheart is just a bonus.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    BTW - I just won a Soup or Bowl contest at my school yesterday with Kelly's recipe.  And yes,the rubs are excellent!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Gilmatica
    Options
    So with the chili will have 10 tablespoons of Pendery's Original Chile Powder +

2 tsp. smoked paprika

2 tsp. cayenne

1 TBL cumin

2 tsp. Mexican oregano

2 tsp. granulated onion

2 tsp. granulated garlic

and whatever rub I put of the smoked brisket??

• EggObsessed
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, @Mickey and @smbishop!!  @Gilmatica:  The best, most current, exact recipe is on our website, www.itsmyrub.com.  Search for Award Winning Brisket Chili.
    Kelley 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Gilmatica:  Sorry....to answer your question correctly, there is more rub added later in the recipe, not just what you use on the brisket to smoke it.
    Kelley 
  • Bayareabaker
    Options
    I want to make this chili and ordered the Pendery's Original Chili Powder, but it the blend contains MSG so I can't use it. Any suggestions on a replacement?
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Bayareabaker:  Have you emailed Pendery's to ask if they make any blends that are similar to "Original", but don't have MSG?
    Kelley 
  • Bayareabaker
    Options
    yes, I did, and they don't. Actually, they told me they do not list any ingredients for there products, but did not give a reason why. But now i guess i know why. They said I could return it at my expense for a refund. $5 to send back a $6 item - not worth it....
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Bayareabaker:  I checked out a few other Texas chili powder blends that I know are reputable, but they also had MSG in them.  I sound Sucklebuster's, that does not have it:  http://www.sucklebusters.com/chili-seasoning-kits/chili-powder-small/  I have not used this brand, but I see it referenced quite a bit on the forums.  BTW, our rubs are MSG and Gluten free.
    Kelley 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    For me the base of the chili is the key. I've substituted hatch chiles instead of the spices and it came out great. Chop the brisket small. I usually add little heat and have a bowl of smoked hatch chiles for people to add. You can't go wrong. @EggObsessed rubs are really good. I usually throw some in regardless of the brisket rub. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OK, I have tons of leftover brisket after competition last weekend. I'm going to try my hand and making some of this. I have a LOT of leftover brisket. How much brisket are you adding to these ingredients? I'm guessing I'll need to make 3-4.5 gallons maybe 6 gallons.  I have about 10lbs of cooked brisket to work with.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    My brisket finished too early so I made your chili and everyone loved it.  Burnt ends were the bomb too.  Thank you for the awesome recipe! 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Can't find tomato bouillon with chicken flavor powder anymore . . . can I use a chicken bouilon cube and a vege bouillon cube instead?  Or is this more concentrated (1 cube makes 1 cup broth) and will be too salty?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Smoking a brisket now to try this chili this week!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Marty_Huggins
    Options
    I've never cooked a brisket but this looks so good. If I ever get the nerve to try one, I'm going to make this chili!
    Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @EggObsessed any thought on my bouillon Q?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”