Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Any police officers?OT

Options
I am currently considering a change in occupations. I have my accounting degree but straight office work isn't really for me. I'm considering becoming a police officer but wanted to see if any of you could tell me how you feel about the job good and bad. Do you have decent time of and have time for your family still? I know you will miss things that's just life. I have talked a few local officers but didn't know how opinions change in areas.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I always hear cops saying they wish they were firemen....if that's any advice to you. But I am sorta biased
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I'm  a police officer  on Oahu. I love my job but remember the public hates u when your doing your job.  U should  do a ride along in the area your considering working in.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • chrisc133
    Options
    if you have your accounting degree...go Federal.  Take a look at FBI, IRS or any of the IG 1811 jobs...accounting is desperately needed.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    I always hear cops saying they wish they were firemen....if that's any advice to you.
    Me too! In addition I have known many firemen over the years -  I was always amazed at the brotherhood they share! In addition with their hours of like 48 on and 72 off several have had successful secondary self employed careers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    When I was getting out of the Navy, I very seriously considered becoming a police officer. Every single cop I spoke with told me to look for other work. The guys above might be onto something with firefighting though, all of those guys really seem to love their job and tried to recruit me as well. 

It's up to you man, look into it and see what you think fits. You're going to go through a "basic training" either way, I'm sure. Start running NOW so you'll be in ok shape later!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Not a cop or constable as we often still call them, but I did manage the team responsible for 9-1-1 network and call centres; met a lot of cops, fire fighters (career and volunteer) and paramedics. 
    I think much depends on the force you select. As noted above by @chrisc133 there are many options (federal) over and above the local municipal or state force. Without question the happier cops I've met were those from the smaller municipal forces or rural RCMP detachments. They all seem to be able to enjoy  time away from the job and are well compensated. 
    Tough job, not for everyone - think it through. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,760
    Options
    on my small pond of 34 houses there is 4 (million dollar plus priced homes), 3 of those are owned by firemen. =) methuen where i live just started a bodycam requirement for all officers, i dont know how the officers feel about that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I have a lot of friends and every single one of them tells me they are counting the days until retirement. With today's lack of respect for the police and the negative political climate regarding policing I wouldn't recommend it. But if you do, look at K9. They have a lot more freedom. Good luck with your pursuits.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I used to be one.  Fine job if you like shift work, midnights, low pay, office politics, associating with the local scum, opportunities to get hurt, missing out on family time and holidays, and going to traffic court after working all night.

I can't tell if you liked it or not.

Phoenix 
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Retired 17 years ago. Just like any job it had the good and the bad. Although it was not financially rewarding, it did pay back in other ways (like a smile from the sweet little elderly lady who's car you unlocked when she accidentally locked her keys in it).

Things have changed so much since then.
    I'm not sure I could do it in today's environment.

Either way, best of luck.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I don't know if it is just me getting old and cranky but it seems to me that a lot of the young police officers seem to feel they have something to prove and have a terrible macho attitude.  I think this paramilitary look they seem to be adopting makes them much less approachable and probably fosters that attitude.

Gerhard
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    +2 on the ride along. Preferably on a Saturday night that is also a full moon. I have a brother and sister who were county and city cops. If you're young, go for it and get the experience and a promotion to detective rank. If you're not young, check into alternative accounting jobs. Just my .02 cents. Also, think strongly on why you wanted to consider that job change for police work. Things aren't always greener on the other side. There is also resource officers for the federal government or Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. Another brother was assistant to the director of DNR for SC. Many ways to go. Choose wisely. Most people look at the full moon and say "how beautiful", cops look at a full moon and say "oh crap". Just sayin. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • blasting
    Options

I've got a lot of respect for the guys in blue, and especially what they have to put up with.  

I couldn't take some idiot "asserting his rights" to me while I was trying to do my job and keep people safe.  Even more difficult would be keeping the baton holstered while being bullied and harassed by the BLM crowd.

Phoenix 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    blasting said:

I used to be one.  Fine job if you like shift work, midnights, low pay, office politics, associating with the local scum, opportunities to get hurt, missing out on family time and holidays, and going to traffic court after working all night.

I can't tell if you liked it or not.

I absolutely hated working nights.  Not being one of the good old boys did not help in my department either.  Being a cop was fun, working as a cop had tons of downsides.  I would shoot for an alphabet agency if you have the qualifications, but not work the road.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    on my small pond of 34 houses there is 4 (million dollar plus priced homes), 3 of those are owned by firemen. =) methuen where i live just started a bodycam requirement for all officers, i dont know how the officers feel about that

Most the firemen I knew when I was on the road worked 24 hours and were then off 48.  They had second jobs on thos off days.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options

Don't forget being disrespected by a lot of people, scrutinized by the media, having every choice you make get critiqued by monday morning QBs that probably have never shot a gun, and each generation of kids seems to be getting worse and worse.

I have no experience in law enforcement, and I am not trying to be mean, but I can not imagine why anyone would want to go into that field right now.  You have my respect if you want to put on the uniform though.  I couldn't do it.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yeah.  What everybody else just said.  

If you don't want to always be told that "the public hates u" (except for the person/people warning you about said hate, of course), then maybe you shouldn't do it.

If you don't want to deal with someone 'idiotic' enough to "assert his rights', or if you abhor associating with - gasp - "local scum", then maybe you shouldn't do it.

If protesters make it difficult for you to refrain from whipping your baton from its holster, then maybe you shouldn't do it.

I know you only informally asked for opinion.  That's a GREAT idea, getting input.

Just saying - IF you have disdain for "idiots" asserting rights and peacefully protesting, well  . . .

"Local scum" probably have enough problems as it is.
     :| 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blasting
    Options

Yeah.  What everybody else just said.  

If you don't want to always be told that "the public hates u" (except for the person/people warning you about said hate, of course), then maybe you shouldn't do it.

If you don't want to deal with someone 'idiotic' enough to "assert his rights', or abhor associating with - gasp - "local scum", then maybe you shouldn't do it.

If protesters make it difficult for you to refrain from whipping your baton from its holster, then maybe you shouldn't do it.

I know you only informally asked for opinion.  That's a GREAT idea, getting input.

Just saying - IF you have disdain for "idiots" asserting rights and peacefully protesting, well  . . .

"Local scum" probably have enough problems as it is.
     :| 

True.  I'd make a terrible cop.  Some guy beats his girlfriend half to death, he's definitely gonna bump his head getting into the squad car.  

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Self awareness is admirable 
  • fishlessman
    Options

Most the firemen I knew when I was on the road worked 24 hours and were then off 48.  They had second jobs on thos off days.
    most have second jobs, some do their second job in the firestation which i bet an accountant could do. one of my neighbors owned, worked and ran a motorcycle business next door to the firestation even when he was on duty ;)  if your not smart enough to have a second job which is mostly all under the table money, the fire dept will get you duty pay. i pay firemen 450 plus per half day to sit in a chair while i weld on  school boilers, 50 percent more if a lieutenant, and then mark that up and charge the town back for it =) oh...and all three are on tax free 80 percent disability in their 50's but still working either duties or side jobs.  this is not a bad deal up here
    fukahwee maine

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    blasting said:
    True.  I'd make a terrible cop.  Some guy beats his girlfriend half to death, he's definitely gonna bump his head getting into the squad car.  

We don't need courts, lawyers, individual rights, freedoms just your judgement call on what is right and appropriate behaviour then the world will work as it should.  Heck we don't even need jails your can dish out the punishment as well.  Then we can all sleep better knowing the world is being kept to your standards.   Come to think of it I think that is how they run North Korea.  Hardly any crime there so that is what we should strive for.

Gerhard
  • blasting
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    blasting said:

We don't need courts, lawyers, individual rights, freedoms just your judgement call on what is right and appropriate behaviour then the world will work as it should.  Heck we don't even need jails your can dish out the punishment as well.  Then we can all sleep better knowing the world is being kept to your standards.   Come to think of it I think that is how they run North Korea.  Hardly any crime there so that is what we should strive for.

Gerhard

Gerhard - didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.  

I think I was pretty clear earlier in stating that I had a lot of respect for cops and what they put up with, and that I couldn't do it myself without taking action - therefore I am not a cop.

I also would go stir crazy being an accountant, and therefore am not an accountant.  
    Phoenix 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    A very good friend of mine works with the IRS investigating financial crimes. He has an accounting degree. Another friend works for a very well known big box store in loss prevention/employee theft, he travels the country and loves his job, he has an accounting degree. Finally, the best story, is a friend who manages the family finances for a very wealthy family. He recently was sent to Texas, on the family's private jet, to investigate a cattle farm the family was interested in buying. After discovering their books were a mess and they owed tons in back taxes the family decided not to buy the farm. Yep, you guessed it, he has an accounting degree. He is currently in Argentina, looking at vineyards in which the family might invest.

If I had to do it all over again I'd get an accounting degree. The possibilities are endless. Do your homework, (which it seems you are doing). There are lots of opportunities for accountants to enjoy the fun parts of investigation type work without the hassle of...you know...risking your life daily.

The above is said with the utmost respect for our police officers everywhere.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just my opinion and experience.  I know a few officers and with every one of them there's a sense of arrogance that comes as a result of the badge.  I wouldn't want them for neighbors.  Just saying. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Just my opinion and experience.  I know a few officers and with every one of them there's a sense of arrogance that comes as a result of the badge.  I wouldn't want them for neighbors.  Just saying. 
    This has not been my experience. There are some, as in any line of work, but the great ones are very down to earth folks.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    In my worst nightmare...I could not imagine the stress and pressure put on street and patrol officers today...That said, it shows with the poor attitude that many officers have today when they are on duty.
    Kind of a catch 22 in many cases and escalates.
    Buddy's son is a police officer. Right out of the military after serving 6 years.
    Seen him on duty, a**hole. Friend said, "what do you expect after 6 years of military training, they are not trained to be nice or politically correct"...
    Full respect for police officers but I do think they should screen out some of the bad eggs before they get hired and a few more along the way. Really makes life dangerous and unpleasant for the good cops.

My last traffic stop was for a license plate light being out. Young officer turned it into a 15+ minute stop with full DL, insurance, vehicle inspection and background check. 5:15am, wearing medical scrubs and wearing ID around my neck on my way to work...absolutely ridiculous. Then gave me a 5 minute speech about not identifying myself as a "licensed concealed handgun permit carrier", even after telling him I was not in possession or carrying a handgun. I told him I was only following the same laws he was. Not required to identify if not packing. He took another 5 minutes to tell me not to pay attention to that part of the law as it's scary walking up to cars not knowing who might be hiding a gun. Finally told him that was not my job as a medical photographer. I only take the photos after the shooting. I almost called 911 on the spot to file a report but I knew it would take hours to complete. 

This traffic stop should have taken 30 seconds instead almost 30 minutes.
    Should have been... "Sir, pulled you over because your light was out on your license plate. I see you just had you car inspected last month. Please have it fixed and drive safe". 
    Again, a few bad apples really make life tough for the officers doing the job for the right reasons. A job I would never want to do.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Another thing to consider, is working in storm related weather. Weather it freezing and raining or a hurricane coming through, in conditions like that you could be out side for the duration.Another item, you may be on call 24/7 yearly.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Being a cop sounds like a horrible thankless job. I'd find something else to do. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    In my worst nightmare...I could not imagine the stress and pressure put on street and patrol officers today...That said, it shows with the poor attitude that many officers have today when they are on duty.
    Kind of a catch 22 in many cases and escalates.
    Buddy's son is a police officer. Right out of the military after serving 6 years.
    Seen him on duty, a**hole. Friend said, "what do you expect after 6 years of military training, they are not trained to be nice or politically correct"...
    Full respect for police officers but I do think they should screen out some of the bad eggs before they get hired and a few more along the way. Really makes life dangerous and unpleasant for the good cops.

My last traffic stop was for a license plate light being out. Young officer turned it into a 15+ minute stop with full DL, insurance, vehicle inspection and background check. 5:15am, wearing medical scrubs and wearing ID around my neck on my way to work...absolutely ridiculous. Then gave me a 5 minute speech about not identifying myself as a "licensed concealed handgun permit carrier", even after telling him I was not in possession or carrying a handgun. I told him I was only following the same laws he was. Not required to identify if not packing. He took another 5 minutes to tell me not to pay attention to that part of the law as it's scary walking up to cars not knowing who might be hiding a gun. Finally told him that was not my job as a medical photographer. I only take the photos after the shooting. I almost called 911 on the spot to file a report but I knew it would take hours to complete. 

This traffic stop should have taken 30 seconds instead almost 30 minutes.
    Should have been... "Sir, pulled you over because your light was out on your license plate. I see you just had you car inspected last month. Please have it fixed and drive safe". 
    Again, a few bad apples really make life tough for the officers doing the job for the right reasons. A job I would never want to do.

i had a police officer walkout on the ice to me while icefishing to explain to me that the ice was unsafe and i had to leave =) she actually walked out on the "unsafe" ice =)  its a good thing the chief in town has a canoe in my yard, i dont really even know the guy but that comes in handy at times ;)
    fukahwee maine