Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Cornbread & Shrimp Pie. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Fellows, I have been playing around and tweaking my Mexican cornbread and Shrimp Pie recipe for the past few days. I think I just about have the logistics worked out. The last few that I have done have been sure enough winners. I know there is probably a thousand different ways to do MC & SP, but these have really been a hit with the folks at the VFW and the lodge. So it's not just one persons preferences. I'm working on one more of each now. If they turn out as good as the last few, I will gladly post the steps and process if anyone would like to try them. Both are done in the style of Dixie and have a real souther flair to them. Will post pics as these get done. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

Looking forward to it!

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
  • mgillia
    Options
    Bring it on!

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• WyBBQer
    Options
    Yes please share
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You tease.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    You tease.
    I'm in process buddy. At the moment, I'm standing by for the finale myself. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    wow...just wow!  Shrimp pie?  Never heard of it but is sounds amazing!  Your recipes are always delicious, but I have learned to scale them down for 2 people or I have enough left to feed the office for a week lol :)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Anyone notice how large that gorrila's biceps are? Wow!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    SGH said:
    For the Dixie style cornbread.
    Batter:
    1 & 1/2 cup of cornmeal. 
    1 cup flour. 
    1 teaspoon baking powder. 
    1 teaspoon baking soda. 
    2 raw eggs. 
    1 & 1/2 cup of butter milk or sweet milk. Both work fine. 
    Salt & Pepper to taste. I like 1 teaspoon of each. Mix all of the above together to form the basic batter. 

Ingredients:
    Stir in 1 can of cream corn and 1 cup of chopped jalepenos. 

Next, stir in 1 bag of cheese. Use whatever you like. 

Next, stir in a 1/2 pound of sausage and a 1/2 pound of beef that has been browned. 

Pour into a pan. 

Bake at 425 degrees until it passes the toothpick test. This one took exactly 21 minutes. 

Just some tips. 
    If you use the "size" batter that I give ratios to above, it will hold a total of 1 pound of meat, 1 can of corn, 1 cup of diced jalepenos, and 1 pack of cheese. If you wish to add more than this, then increase the size of your batter. The 50/50 mix of sausage and ground beef is spectacular in this bread. I hope that y'all enjoy this Mexican cornbread done in the style of Dixie.  

Looks like something I will have to cook, is that a 9x13 pan?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SGH
    Options
     is that a 9x13 pan?
    Yes sir, it is. I much prefer to use cast iron but I had it tied up on another project.  

Status- Standing by.

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    SGH you have done it again.  I cannot wait to give this a try.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I have to say, I'm really enjoying this "In the style of" series.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Is that fresh jalapenos or from the jar?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Got to see the "cut" photo...excellent documentation buddy...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Oustanding!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jonnymack
    Options
    As always many thanks for posting these things. They are quite the education. I'll be pulling out "the SGH sausage loaf..in the style of Dixie" for the super bowl. You will always receive full credit brother.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @SGHMy friend's mom made something very similar growing up but she added in some flaky biscuit from the can on top and bottom. She called it a breakfast casserole. Is the shrimp pie something totally separate? I was prepared for this recipe to be a combo dish! thanks!.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks freaking delicious brother!  Thank you for sharing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I chop fresh jalapeños. You probably could use the ones in a jar in a pinch though. The biggest problem that I see with using the ones in a jar is they have a slight candied taste. Don't know how it would taste in the bread. If you like their taste, I'm sure it would be fine. I just chop up a cup of fresh as that's how I have always done it. If you try the jar ones, let me know how it turns out. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    kwdickert said:
     Is the shrimp pie something totally separate?
    Yes sir, it is. I will have posted here shortly my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SGH said:
    Griffin said:
    I chop fresh jalapeños. You probably could use the ones in a jar in a pinch though. The biggest problem that I see with using the ones in a jar is they have a slight candied taste. Don't know how it would taste in the bread. If you like their taste, I'm sure it would be fine. I just chop up a cup of fresh as that's how I have always done it. If you try the jar ones, let me know how it turns out. 
    I use fresh jalapeños chopped up in my dutch oven camp bread along with course shredded cheese and they are great. Bet they are even better in your cornbread. This is a damn meal for most people. Talk about a great breakfast. Still want to see a cut picture...Very nice SGH.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks, was just wondering. I either use fresh jalapenos or canned green chiles in my cornbread. Just wondering how the man, the myth, the legend does his.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Just wondering how the man, the myth, the legend does his.
    In the style of Dixie my friend ;)
    On a serious note, we always have fresh jalapeños on hand so that's what I always use.  

Status- Standing by.

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    It's always a pleasure to read these 'Dixie style' posts. You da man @SGH!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Waiting on that shrimp pie recipe. Is there cheese involved? Cornbread looks freaking outstanding.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Waiting on that shrimp pie recipe. 
    It's coming sister. Been real busy and on the run the past 2 days. Been working on a "how to emulate Aaron's brisket on the BGE" post per several folks request. Also a 1 hour pulled pork in the PC post as well as the head cheese I did. I give you my word, I will have the shrimp pie up sometime tonight sister. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Just kidding @SGH. Sounds like you have some very worthy projects going on. Interested in all of them.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Got to see the "cut" photo...excellent documentation buddy...
    Here you go my friend. 

Status- Standing by.