Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe to use enameled cast iron dutch oven in BGE?

Options
As title stated, I just bought a Lodge enameled cast iron dutch oven.  It says in the instructions to not use on an outdoor grill.  Just wanted some feedback here on that.

Thanks
War Damn Eagle!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

It's safe to use with a heat deflector(Plate Setter)

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    only way to go IMO. Get some of that Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning. It's magic.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes works fine even direct. I use a enameled skillet for searing and have been for years and no issues. I have read the IR at 550 plus on the skillet and it hold up fine.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Lit said:
    Yes works fine even direct. I use a enameled skillet for searing and have been for years and no issues. I have read the IR at 550 plus on the skillet and it hold up fine.
    Agreed. Did brats last night at 400 direct on my enameled CI skillet (for the hundredth time) - no issues!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• txhawkeye
    Options
    I have the same one, I use it direct / indirect no problem.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

You mean the convEGGtor? :lol: Boy what a $hitty name
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Chubbs said:

You mean the convEGGtor? :lol: Boy what a $hitty name
    Ya think? Hey, Mods... pass it on.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Way in the past someone recommended coating the outside with dish detergent before cooking to clean it up faster after the cook.
    Judy in San Diego
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Way in the past someone recommended coating the outside with dish detergent before cooking to clean it up faster after the cook.
    that trick works, we used to use softened ivory soap when camping
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    I recently purchased a Lodge enameled Dutch oven myself. I've used it several times to bake bread on the egg and had that puppy up to 450 and so far no problems. BTW I found mine at Academy sports on sale 50% "while supplies last". Not sure why they were blowing them out but I couldn't resist. Any haze/soot on the enamel wiped right off during cleanup.