Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza...I don't know why I waited so long!

I decided to give pizza a go for the first time.  After all, I did but a pizza stone when I bought all my original gear.

I made the dough yesterday per the recipe on https://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf. The only change I made was adding about 1tsp sugar into the water/yeast mixture to help get them started.  I divided the dough into 4 sections and used 3 of them tonight.

i got the egg started and up to 650F with the setup in place.  After about 50min I started to make pies.

Since this was my first try I made mine first just in case I screwed something up.  I put each pie on for 3 minutes and then removed parchment paper. 2 more minutes and then rotated 180 and finally 2 minutes more.  Below are the before and after shots:

All in all it worked out well.  I loved mine and the wife and daughter were fans of their own creations. The are already talking about the next time we make pizza so I guess it was a hit.  To the authors and commenters of all of the posts I read before trying...thanks for your help!
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• Looks great to me! And thanks for sharing the dough recipe!
  • Since looking pies. The crust looks great. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Good looking pizza!  I use corn meal instead of parchment paper
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    looks wonderful, can almost smell it from here.  i bought a case of 10 -  2.2#
    bags of caputo 00 flour from amazon. sad to say, just haven't had a chance to do a scratch pie.  maybe next weekend..  you didn't mention what you used for sauce...homemade? bottled?  please share and thanks for sharing your experience...
  • victor1 said:
    you didn't mention what you used for sauce...homemade? bottled?  please share and thanks for sharing your experience...
    There is an Italian grocery store near my house.  In addition to the flour, I got their "homemade" pizza sauce (haven't ventured to make my own yet...baby steps).  Also got their own pepperoni, mozzarella and hot sausage.  All were very good.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow, that looks way better than the burned stuff I made the first time I tried, nice job!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    #nailedit  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Already pizza shop quality or better!  Nice work I am running late. For number 1. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Looks great!!!  +1 on using parchment over corn meal... Works every time and much easier to go ahead and have multiple pies ready to go. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • timmyd18 said:
    Good looking pizza!  I use corn meal instead of parchment paper
    I was on the fence regarding parchment paper vs. cornmeal.  I have read that cornmeal can sometimes burn creating off-flavors.  I'm assuming you've not had to deal with this since that's your method?  I'll have to give it a try one of these next times so I can gauge myself.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Mighty fine pies
    XLBGE w/ Woo2

Memphis, TN
  • Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    You nailed them Bad Boys!  Awesome!  There ain't nothing better than Egg cooked pizzas done by your own hands. And, what fun for a Family team cook. There is no end to the Creations you will come up with. Our pulled pork one with Sweet Baby Ray's is still the favorite in our Pies. 
  • Those look like they were made by an expert!

Instead of cornmeal, use semolina. If you use a peel they act like little ball bearings and the dough just slides onto the stone.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Heck yeah!  Nice looking pie.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Bravo!  I have pie envy now 
  • I was on the fence regarding parchment paper vs. cornmeal.  I have read that cornmeal can sometimes burn creating off-flavors.  I'm assuming you've not had to deal with this since that's your method?  I'll have to give it a try one of these next times so I can gauge myself.
    I didn't have any off-flavors or burning, but the cornmeal leaves a texture that I don't particularly care for. Put me in the parchment camp.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Semolina is superior to cornmeal for pizza.  The decision should be between using semolina or parchment, cornmeal should not be in the discussion.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nailed it on your first shot! Way to go. Now I want to make some pizza.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Nice crisp crust! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dbennett561
    dbennett561 Posts: 59
    edited February 2016
    chadpsualum said:

I made the dough yesterday per the recipe on https://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf. The only change I made was adding about 1tsp sugar into the water/yeast mixture to help get them started.  I divided the dough into 4 sections and used 3 of them tonight.

Thank you for the post, pizza looks great. I am new to any type of ingredients having to do with baking, with that being said... Did you mix all of the dough ingredients together, or did you have to add the yeast to water to proof prior to adding all together?  I'm looking to make my dough tonight then, pizzas tomorrow evening. Thanks!

Tampa, FL
  • Pizza looks great! I use fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of sauce.  Just keep it simple.  Don't go overboard on toppings.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    parchment paper fan  here....make the pizza on the paper, set it on the stone on the egg and wait 2-3 mins, then slide the paper out from under the pizza and finish cooking.  No sticking and no grainy residue.
  • chadpsualum said:

Thank you for the post, pizza looks great. I am new to any type of ingredients having to do with baking, with that being said... Did you mix all of the dough ingredients together, or did you have to add the yeast to water to proof prior to adding all together?  I'm looking to make my dough tonight then, pizzas tomorrow evening. Thanks!

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier.  I was 'off the grid' this weekend.  Although it seems that you are past your cook now I'll still answer.  I added my yeast to 110F water with a TBSP of sugar and mixed together.  I let it sit for ~5min before adding to the flour.  All mixing was done by hand.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE

• Pizza looks great! I use fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of sauce.  Just keep it simple.  Don't go overboard on toppings.
    Thanks.  That's what's great about pizza...you can do so many things with it!  I love a lot of flavors so I put a lot on mine. My daughter just likes mushrooms so here's was plain Jane.  Both were great!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks terrific!  It's been way too long since I've had pizza.  I need to fix that.  :)