Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to do wings on a large egg?

Never attempted them and wanna do some for Super Bowl. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I cook indirect at about 450 degrees until crisp. You will get other answers, theres various ways. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    use corn starch on them in addition to the rub to get the skin crispy.
  • admiral21
    admiral21 Posts: 25
    edited February 2016
    I would dry brine for about 8 hours in the fridge.

I have had great success cooking them indirect at 375-400 for about 35-40 minutes and then take off the daisy wheel and open the bottom vent all the way and try to get it up to 600 until the wings start to get browned, probably ~5 minutes.  If you do go this route make sure there are no wings over the place setter holes because flames will be bursting through the gaps.

I did it with chicken quarters and I finally nailed perfectly cooked chicken meat with crispy skin on a chicken without getting burned bits when doing indirect for 40 minutes and then cooking them over direct heat.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As above, there are about as many ways to cook ribs as posters.  If you can, air-dry them on a cooling rack in the fridge over-night to help crisp up the skin.  Then either raised direct or indirect.  I run at around 350-400*F either way.  
    Here's a link to a good method:
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/06/30-20-10-smoked-hot-wings.html 
    If going direct, I will flip around every 15 mins or so til done.  Enjoy the cook.
    BTW-You have time for a practice run before Sunday-worth the eating if nothing else ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • admiral21
    admiral21 Posts: 25
    edited February 2016
    Also agree if you ask 10 people you'll get 11 answers.  The good things about wings is that they are cheap as hell and delicious.  Maybe try a few test runs this week.

I will be honest and say part of my preferred method is watching flames come out of the top of my egg :), I never owned a grill that gets over 600F so when I get the chance to let it rip I take advantage.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I smoke them indirect at 350 to 400, then deep fry them.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • +1 on the corn starch...then in the fridge for about 4-5 hours (min) to 'dry' with rub sprinkled on (if you use).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    And I do them direct at 400 and turn them often.

Really, they come out fantastic almost any way you  do them. I have never heard nor read a complaint about wings done on a BGE.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2016
    I cook raised direct and then apply sauce along the way. For the Supper Bowl, I am going to try some sauce my son gave me for Christmas. It is Gator Hammock Gator Sauce. www.gatorhammock.com
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Any rubs/sauces you guys really like?
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    TDogg46 said:
    Any rubs/sauces you guys really like?
    I cook at 400 raised-indirect. Cornstarch mixed in with dry rub. I usually sauce the last 10-15 minutes and put back on the egg. However, if you (or your crowd) prefers "wet" wings, I would save the saucing until after they've come off the egg.

I typically use Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom or a local rub I found. Also use Moore's Buffalo Sauce or Swamp People:

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    375-400 raised direct with a couple of turns.  I sauce once off the egg when doing buffalo wings with homemade or Frank's wing sauce.  Dizzy dust seasoning and out in the fridge overnight.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I used to do them at 400 indirect but a few times I had the fat render out and cause flareups that tainted the flavor.

I had about a dozen wings that got pulled out of the freezer by mistake one day and I was doing a pork butt. I put the wings on towards the end of the pork cook. They were awesome, now this is how I do all my wings, 275 for about 1.5 hours.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The above is the product of a little adult beverage, a nap, and a not so good football game (I am sure the Cowboys played a large part). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• northGAcock
    Mickey said:
    The above is the product of a little adult beverage, a nap, and a not so good football game (I am sure the Cowboys played a large part). 
    These look great. Did you air dry under refrigeration or use corn starch to achieve that crunchiness? 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    been cooking them in a basket, just flip them into a bowl every 15 minutes, move them around or toss them, then back in basket, alot easier than fliping 40 pieces =)
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159852/who-needs-an-xl

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Mickey  You still have the best burnt wings pic. 
    Insert wings vs foot :lol:  
    https://youtu.be/2Wcry66DoOE
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thanks for the help, fellas. 
  • Mickey said:
    This and the photo of the one with like 537 racks of ribs crammed into the BGE are probably my two favorite repeated images on here. Feel free to post it once a month, regardless of the thread. I enjoy it every time.
    Stillwater, MN
  • I do 325* indirect for an hour, then sauce and open the vent a little to glaze.  These are one of my favorite cooks and a crowd pleaser, like everyone says there isn't a wrong way to do them, I just like indirect so I can get a little more smoke on them with a little longer cook time.
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • I have done them a number of ways historically, but ever since talking to the guy who made them at the local Egg Fest this past Summer, I won't do them any differently than 375 indirect for about 45 minutes or so with a good amount of rub on them.  I basically start watching them after 30 minutes or so, and when I can see the rub crisping up, I give them a flip and a quick dusting, let that crisp a bit and done.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259

I used to do them on my gasser, direct until crispy and then moved over for a little indirect time.  Last year I switched and started frying them in my largest CI dutch oven and everyone liked them since they tasted like "sports bar wings."

Two weeks ago I decided to do them for the NFL conference games on my LBGE and after pouring over all the methods here for "crispy wings," here's what I did.

Cut off the flippers and left the two pieces intact.  Air dried overnight in the fridge on a wire rack.  Mixed a pack of McCormick's Original Buffalo Wing Seasoning with about 1/2 part of corn starch and air dried again for about 3 hours.  Cooked raised direct with fire bricks at 375 turning about every 15 minutes or so.  Tossed with Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce.  Everyone raved about them and this will become the method from now on.   

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814

Open BGE but don't light.  Place open beer on Egg grill.  Set deep fryer beside BGE.  Fry wings.

I have just never had the level of success or satisfaction from the Egg versus the turkey fryer.  Having said that, I am sure others have so follow their advice but for me nothing beats a nicely dusted and fried wing.  I will try the corn starch dusting some time, I think that might help me.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You are missing out IMO. There are quite a few places that are grilling the wings now even if they fry them also. That grilled flavor isn't able to be duplicated otherwise. The corn starch is a really good solution to the crisp issue.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Method 1-- Raised direct around 350 with smoke, remove, sauce, and fry

Method 2-- indirect 400 until done and crispy with rub only. Sauce and back on for 5 minutes or so to set sauce
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    Mickey said:
    This and the photo of the one with like 537 racks of ribs crammed into the BGE are probably my two favorite repeated images on here. Feel free to post it once a month, regardless of the thread. I enjoy it every time.
    I would leave those on for a few more minutes. 

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    been cooking them in a basket, just flip them into a bowl every 15 minutes, move them around or toss them, then back in basket, alot easier than fliping 40 pieces =)
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159852/who-needs-an-xl

Tried the basket method last night, worked like a charm. Will do that all the time moving forward.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    I do raised indirect 350-400, 1-1.5 hrs. I do hot sauce, then dry tub, then shift on cornst
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Beautiful thing is, all the above works on the egg!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga