Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the biggest operational challenge with having an egg?

Options
Im new to the community, I was curious if anyone could share what they feel is the biggest challenge in owning an egg. Operational? cleaning? Tools?

thanks in advance for feedback!

Comments

• Eggscuses
    Options
    Biggest challenge is not buying all the accessories that can go with it $$$$
  • marran8
    Options
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Learning that it takes longer to get the fire started and stable than a gasser, but one should be ready in less than 30-40 minutes, charcoal is dirty, the after market products, sauces, rubs, and meat will suck on your $$$$$, not gaining weight. Is it worth it? Oh yes it is very much so.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    A few times per year I will be grilling burgers and brats for 20-25 people.  That doesn't all fit on the LBGE.  My solution is going to be buying an XL so I can run both at the same time.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Making room for all the accessories, unrelated cooking implements (Blackstone, slicer etc...) and lump.  Welcome and have fun. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • marran8
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Making room for all the accessories, unrelated cooking implements (Blackstone, slicer etc...) and lump.  Welcome and have fun. 
    That makes sense and I quickly realized that. Fortunately I was able to finish my egg table now I have a place to put everything., though i still need to add drawer for pizza stone.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Hard to settle on one, but probably the biggest for new egg owner's is that it takes patience to get the fire right and stable temps. It is not an initial "fire and forget" operation.  Beyond that-don't chase temperature.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    RRP said:
    Stopping at just owning one egg, or two or three BUT now that I own four THAT's IT!
    I was going to say that too but did not want to scare them, but now that you have I can admit that 4 is not enough for me!!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• marran8
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Hard to settle on one, but probably the biggest for new egg owner's is that it takes patience to get the fire right and stable temps. It is not an initial "fire and forget" operation.  Beyond that-don't chase temperature.  
    Thanks, that makes sense.
    As an experienced user is there anything else you think could be easier/better?

im loving it, best investment Ive made in a while.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2016
    Options
     marran8 said:
    to put everything 

everything? EVERYTHING??? hehehe...little do you know! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Deciding what to cook.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    marran8 said:
    Im new to the community, I was curious if anyone could share what they feel is the biggest challenge in owning an egg. Operational? cleaning? Tools?

thanks in advance for feedback!
    Time off from work... You know I'm expected to work for 50 hours a week. Even though everyone knows I have an Egg at home that needs love and attention.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @marran8 - what follows is a collection of info that may be of use:  

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

And that's a whole lot more than one operational challenge.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Controlling the intake of adult beverages...Nah not really a problem.. Welcome and have fun..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jonnymack
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Yeah this. I would also add that I never thought I would be more interested in lump charcoal debates than presidential ones but here we are!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    RRP said:
    Stopping at just owning one egg, or two or three BUT now that I own four THAT's IT!
    I was going to say that too but did not want to scare them, but now that you have I can admit that 4 is not enough for me!!
    Jim,
    maybe you need to man-up and get a BGEV! That's Big Green Egg Vasectomy. It only hurts for a little while and then you can go back to playing with your other eggs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Avoiding the temptation to screw with the bands and then trying to get it all aligned again........
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Money... And the characters on this forum lol 
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Our biggest adjustment was cooking according to the internal temp of the food.  My wife always asks "when will dinner be ready?" and I never know, could be 30 minutes or 90 minutes.  It's tough to coordinate cooking sides and finishing at the same time.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Therapy sessions. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Using the same notch on my belt...lol
    I seem to eat better now that I cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Choosing how you want to cook your brisket, butt, or pizza.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Mine is the speed that is can start cooking with 3 kids under 4 and I get done work 6 or later. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Keeping the same pant size.
    + 1 on this.....and + mini sizes to the ol trousers. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    all GREAT answers...$$ for more egg toys, $$ for lots of meat, and the battle of the waist line are all soooooo true.  :o

My hardest-to-learn part was when starting up an Egg, never let it get above your desired temp.  The large amount of ceramic lining in an Egg is an important part of what cooks your food.  The charcoal heats the ceramic lining, which then radiates heat to cook the food.  The ceramic lining also holds a large amount of heat; that is what helps the Egg have a steady temperature.  If you let the egg get hotter than you want, it is difficult to lower it again. 

Solution;  watch the temperature as it heats up.  Start dampening the fire down when the temp isn't quite up to where you want it.
    While all this is explained in the Egg instructions (which talk about dampening down before you get to temp), and the term "chasing the temperature" involves this as well, it took me a long while to understand the implications of those instructions.

The Franklin manifesto/book on smoke based BBQs talk about "good smoke" and "bad smoke".  Obviously you want good smoke.  Trying to reduce the size of the fire you have going by starving it for oxygen produces bad smoke, which he says gives a bad taste.  Limiting the oxygen flow before it gets to temperature limits the amount of charcoal burning, but all of the burning char is getting enough oxygen: good smoke.  Trying to slow down a too hot fire means you are essentially smothering some already burning char: bad smoke.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • marran8
    Options
    Thanks guys, all good stuff. Full disclosure, Im actually not THAT new I got my egg around June last year and prob have about 50 cooks under my belt, so I got down the basics but still far from a veteran like most of you prob are. 

I guess i was just curious to know as youve been doing it a while what is the biggest challenge you have now (aside from waist size and being broke on multiple eggs)  for example, finding room to store everything, charcoal, cooking at night, cleaning, tools, not finding right set ups, etc.

Perhaps there just arent a of pains in owning/managing an egg? Just curious..

thanks again!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    For me it is waiting for the fire to burn clean. Especially when I throw one of my crusty indirect pieces in for a low and slow. That crud can take some time to burn. If your stones get wet they take a long time to burn clean too. It's all fun though. Don't think too much. Make sure your thermometer is calibrated, be patient and enjoy the ride
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013