Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
Been with my egg for just under a year. With the nice weather in Chicago this weekend, I decided to try my first brisket. I went with a 7 lb flat from my local butcher. It came trimmed, although had a small fat cap on it. I rubbed all sides down with "Bull ****" rub. Got the egg rev'd up to 225-250 then placed it on the grate, indirect fat side up.

Here is where the fun comes in to play....I got a SS Smokeware cap for Christmas, but never used it. Figured I would wait until spring time...well with the warm weather, the rain came. I pull the cap out of the box and place it on the egg. In trying to regulate it, the temp jumped to about 310....I couldn't get it back. The brisket turned into a turbo brisket. Hmmmm...hung with it.

I ran it to about 165'ish, pull off the grate, place in foil with some Leinie's Snowdrift porter. Wrap it tight and put it back on. Pulled it off at 205. Wrapped in a towel and stuck it in a cooler for about an hour. With all of the side dishes done, I sliced it...albeit, probably an hour early.

Over all....very good. Collagen didn't fully breakdown due to the speed, but it was good, rub added a little heat. total time on the Egg was about 5 hours. Over all I was happy fr the first time out of the gate. Ate dinner with some steamed potato's, cauliflower au-gratin and a cold Yuengling. My 5 year old enjoyed it...so that is all the approval I need. Practice makes perfect...which I am more than happy to do. I feel you can turbo a Pork shoulder or ribs....but for great brisket...patience will pay off.
KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Looks awesome for your first brisket! Nicely done my friend.

was it dry with the little amount of fat on it?
  • Dos_Eggys
    Options
    Thanks! It was slightly dry, the beer and foil helped a bit. Next time, I will have the butcher leave a little more fat on it.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Dos_Eggys said:
    Thanks! It was slightly dry, the beer and foil helped a bit. Next time, I will have the butcher leave a little more fat on it.
    Inject the brisket with beef broth, just after you pull it from it's rest, open foil, drain broth into a fat separator and poor the Au Jus on the brisket to re-hydrate.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Great cook with a flat.  They can be a challenge to hit the target.  You got the seal of approval from the family-nothing else is needed or warranted.  Congrats and welcome aboard.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Boom goes the dynamite... Congrats great looking brisky..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dos_Eggys
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments and recommendation. This why I love this site, lots of great feedback and advice. it is appreciated. I will try the broth trick next time.