Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric fryer advice

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Wood has a Butterball XL Turkey Fryer today for $80.
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/butterball-xl-indoor-electric-turkey-fryer-3?utm_source=wootappatlanta&utm_medium=share

Anyone know if this is a good fryer and if this is a good deal. @SGH is this one like you have?
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I have the outdoor version works great.
  • outrageous
    Options
    I have one and it does great, especially on fried turkey. You will not regret it.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Can also be a make shift sous vide
  • DMW
    Options
    I've seen some reviews indicating that it's a real pain to clean.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW
    Yes sir, that's one of the ones that I use. I have had pretty good luck with them thus far. Due to their size, they are not really ideal for everyday use as they take up a fair amount of space and use a sizable amount of oil. A 1-2 gallon fryer is much more practical for everyday general use. However for frying turkeys and real large amounts at a time, it's just what the doctor ordered. Due to its a size it can be somewhat of a pain to clean. However if you use the ammonia cleaning tip that someone shared, it takes a lot of work out of the cleanup. Again, if you are looking for a everyday fryer, I feel that you would be served better by a smaller rig. However if your main use will be for turkeys and big fish frys, then I highly recommend it my friend. Just so you will know and for clarity, you can not flash fry in the big rig as its maximum operating temp is 375 degrees. However for turkey and real large volumes of fish, this is the ideal temp. Go ahead and get brother D =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH - Thanks for your input. I've read the recovery time is pretty long, which doesn't really fit what I would want to use it for. I'm looking to fry batches of french fries, frozen egg rolls, boudin balls, etc. These are a short cook, but I would want to crank them out quickly.

Then again, given it's size, I might be able to do everything at once unless I'm cooking for a really large crowd, and then I could get out my propane fryer.

Then again, I have a propane fryer that is plenty big and has a quick recovery time. This would just be more convenient.

Ugh... decisions...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Then again, I have a propane fryer that is plenty big and has a quick recovery time. This would just be more convenient.

You hit it on the head above. The electric is very convenient. Especially during inclement weather. However for speed frying, flash frying and no oil drop temp, it can in no way compete with a large propane burner. However it is real nice to be able to fry turkeys indoors when it's raining or real cold. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH - I've never fried a turkey, not sure I've even ever had fried turkey.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Fried turkey is simply awesome. Particularly if you shoot it full of Cajun spices. 
  • DMW
    Options
    Fried turkey is simply awesome. Particularly if you shoot it full of Cajun spices. 
    I have one in the freezer. I think I know it's fate.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Just make sure it is fully thawed. Not trying to oversimplify or question your abilities, but Google frozen turkey fry and you'll see what I mean. 
  • outrageous
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH - I've never fried a turkey, not sure I've even ever had fried turkey.

You need to try one,  inject it with Cajun seasonings, apply a rub, cook for 4 mins per pound in deep fryer.  way better than regular turkey.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW
    While you are experimenting with turkeys, go ahead and deep fry a 5 pound or less pork shoulder. You talk about make your head spin like a hippies in a wind storm. Just limit it to 5 pounds or less and it's a snap. If you want to go bigger, drop your oil temp to 300 or lower, just depending on how big it is. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    @DMW
    While you are experimenting with turkeys, go ahead and deep fry a 5 pound or less pork shoulder. You talk about make your head spin like a hippies in a wind storm. Just limit it to 5 pounds or less and it's a snap. If you want to go bigger, drop your oil temp to 300 or lower, just depending on how big it is. 
    OK, this has me intrigued. What internal temp are you shooting for? Pulled temps, or slicing? About how long?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @DMW
    Just depends on what you are going to do with the end product. However I find 185 to be a happy medium no matter how big or small, or your final intended use. At 350 degrees, fry time will run right around 8.5 minutes per pound. Of course as you reduce oil temp, this will increase. For clarity, I have fried them to as low as 170 degrees internally  and as high as 200 degrees internally. Again, depending on your intended use, 170-185 is usually ideal. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    One last note of reference, once you go bigger than 6 pounds, it gets real tricky to fry them. Start small my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     For a small electric fryer I have found the combo of induction burner and cast iron dutch oven to be supperior to commercial electric dedicated fryers. More versatile. Easier to clean. Faster temp response. High temp capabilities. Very safe whether indoors or out.

For large stuff a good propane burner and a lot of care...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • DMW
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     For a small electric fryer I have found the combo of induction burner and cast iron dutch oven to be supperior to commercial electric dedicated fryers. More versatile. Easier to clean. Faster temp response. High temp capabilities. Very safe whether indoors or out.

For large stuff a good propane burner and a lot of care...

Jim
    Thanks, I'm passing on this one given I have a large propane fryer already. I have a small electric as well. I have used a butane burner outside with a dutch oven of oil, but recovery time is long as it's only 8,000 BTU. I think I'll bank the money I would have spent on this one and put it towards an induction burner as I've been wanting one anyway. Thanks @CtTOPGUN
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA