Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I'm a baker now?

Options
2»

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    This is in a lodge cast iron Dutch oven. 74% hydration. The way you handle it really changes the outcome 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    @blasting very nicely done!  You have inspired me to go out at lunch and pick up the ingredients to do the same.  I'm hoping to see similar results.  It looks like you were using your DO is that the case?  I was reviewing the recipe and it mentioned using a stone.
    Edina, MN

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Looks like I'm making bread and butter this weekend. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My congrats, w. a large tinge of envy. Took me 12 - 15 tries to make a decent sour dough. W. a good crust, even if other aspects aren't so good, it'll be better than most store bought.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2016
    Options
    GlennM said:
    This is in a lodge cast iron Dutch oven. 74% hydration. The way you handle it really changes the outcome 

@GlennM  looks great.  All this hydration talk is beyond me right now, gotta keep reading my book!

Budgeezer said: @blasting very nicely done!  You have inspired me to go out at lunch and pick up the ingredients to do the same.  I'm hoping to see similar results.  It looks like you were using your DO is that the case?  I was reviewing the recipe and it mentioned using a stone.

@Budgeezer  I'm sure yours will turn out great.  I just followed the instructions for the master recipe.  I used a 5 quart lodge DO.  I was using bread flour since that is what I had on hand for the bread machine.  I'll be picking up some all purpose flour (Arthur).  From the little bit that I read, it will rise more with the all purpose flour.  

FYI  The bucket for the fridge that is highest rated on Amazon is $30 for two.  The identical buckets at Restaurant Depot for $10 for two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PMV77G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_33&smid=A3FPX6BLVYEWX9

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @GlennM That's a nice loaf brother; it has good oven spring and beautiful color. That's my kind of bread.

@blasting %hydration is how much water as a % of the weight of dough. Over time this is a simpler meathod of measuring ingredients as opposed to using cups and Tbsp, tsp.

For example for a large loaf of bread you might use 500g of flour. 74% hydration would be 500g*.74=370g of water. If you wanted a small loaf you might use 325g of flour. Then 325g*.74=241g of water. measuring this way you can get consistent dough without trying to convert cups and divide by fractions. If you take some notes, you'll find a % hydration that handles the way you like it and makes bread you like. It's worth noting also that the type of flour, different batches of that brand, and humidity changes the dough. Over time you can "guestimate" and tweak the amount of water to compensate for these differences.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GlennM
    Options
    I'm actually on holidays and don't have a scale so I have been using 4 cups flour with 1 3/4 cups water. I think that should be about 75% hydration?

• GlennM
    Options
    I didn't do this on the egg but I'm experimenting with making baguettes. This one turned out great!