Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mens Apron

Options
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Apron that isn't just outrageous in price? I know there are a wide variety, but I really like the look of the waxed or canvas ones like below.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/233717495/canvas-apron-the-maker?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Canvas apron&ref=sr_gallery_39

http://www.filson.com/apron-30230.html#137

Thank you,
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Wow! $60 for a hand made canvas one seems pricey. I've never paid for one and have several collected over the years from BGE to meat markets to charcoal producers. The nice thing is when they get dirty - which they will - which is why you wear one - then just toss it in the washer!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing, plus on the Etsy one they want $17.40 for shipping, that's not happening.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i thought $60 for hand made was cheap  >shrug<

my concern would be to get one that was dark, black even.

i have long ago destroyed my wife's potholders, because i sootified them good.  when i got black ones for the grill, she started using them.  can't win.

anyway, i digress, might wanna consider dark ones or that waxed canvas

those look more like shop aprons though.  you could probably get away with something lighter in weight.

only twenty bucks at Williams Sonoma

...but i would get it without the monogram/personalization

i'm also one of those guys that prefers things simple.  no stupid slogan or picture of a pig in a bikini on the damn thing.  :)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks @Darby_Crenshaw I agree that those I posted were more for the shop than for the grill, I like the looks of them though. For some reason I can't get over the high shipping cost, I suppose though when you pay $60 for an apron you get what you pay for, so as long as you take care of it, it should last. I'm right there with you on keeping it simple too.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lodge sells a nice "Egg Apron" for $25.  Right theme, even if it shows sunny side up eggs and not a BGE :o
    https://www.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/indoor-accessories.asp
    Lots of retailers sell barbecue aprons, such as BedBathandBeyond, Home Depot, etc.  $15 to $20
    The BBQ Guys have nearly a hundred for $15 to $20, most with cutsie sayings (may be thin but funny).  There is a decent looking leather  (suede) one by Outset for $35, and some other serious looking ones for $25-$30.
    http://www.bbqguys.com/category_name_BBQ-Aprons-Mitts_path_2120-17640-11455_start_0_pagesize_24_numresults_67_sorting_pricehigh.html?&ff3=2648

One last one: searching at amazon for "barbecue apron" found an "Extra Long Bib Style Denim Apron, Measuring 48" X 25", With Front Pockets"  for $14.68 with free shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Style-Denim-Measuring-Pockets/dp/B000YJSNOM/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1453999467&sr=1-2&keywords=barbeque+aprons+for+men

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    i like filson products but that apron would not be comfortable on a hot sunny day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I need the apron more when I eat, not when I cook.

Plus 1 on the wife's potholders @Darby_Crenshaw
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    Options
    i thought $60 for hand made was cheap  >shrug<

I'm not opposed to him spending his money! =) I just meant there are free ones to be had - he might even ask his BGE dealer for a freebie as they used to be plentiful. 

BTW I have no problem spending my money on good shop aprons and I have three speciality aprons. One for lathe turning protection and then a couple high grade leather ones. I recall I gave $100 for this farrier style all leather. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    That's a pretty fair price from what I've seen on the market. I use a Butcher and Baker demin apron.

Other options:
    Knife & Flag
    Medium Rare Chef
  • RRP
    Options

A cr*tchless apron?  That may be a hit beyond the BBQ circles...
    LOL - you think that farriers wives actually designed this style?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Still better coverage than the jean shorts...
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    google and/or amazon pushed a few more aprons at me...tracking everything we even look at :o

Amazon has a denim "Dickies AC20 Men's Toolmaker Apron 100% Cotton" in blue for $13.25, free shipping, or in painter's "natural" (white) for $12.94.

also a "Bucket Boss Bucket Boss 80300 Duckwear SuperShop Apron" in brown duck canvas for $15. 

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I stock these in the welding shop. Sateen flame retardant.  12.75
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @RRP.... Stop with the sex apron and shorty shorts.  :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Y'all just make sure your men's apron matches your men's purse.
    NOLA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Herringbone patterned French blue silk shirt, blue jeans and a black full apron,  suave or crisis?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    RRP said:

Nice look Ron.  Are they "shop chaps"?  Oh, you look very happy too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    He could very well be placed on the back of a Harley with that getup!  

Hey, least he has gold toe socks!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Maybe the angle, but do I spy moose knuckles?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    only twenty bucks at Williams Sonoma

Not a sentence I ever expected to read.   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    No kidding, eh?  
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't mind the shoeless/crotchless look. "LifeStyle is a lifestyle". "We're all God's children". Hashtag 'alternative' and all that. It's all cool....

It's the all-denim outfit that is unforgivable. 

(The preceding quip was intended as a lighthearted jibe. No offense or on-line bullying was intended. The author does not subscribe to the 'LifeStyle', but does not judge those who do. Any resemblance to individuals, living or deceased, is coincidental. The author of the aforementioned is actually a known denim owner, though admittedly with less apparent enthusiasm than others. No representation of anti-denim sentiment is hereby implied and ought not to be inferred.)

Your anti-Canadian sentiment is strong. Did Little Steven kick your dog?

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    all-denim isn't exclusive to canadians. 

See Jay Leno