Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone from Houston?

Options
im here in downtown Houston for school at a conference. Anyone know a must visit bbq joint?

so far I have been to ottos bbq and papas bbq. Seem to be chains.

hoping to get some great local grub. Doesn't have to be BBQ. Would love Ted mex or anything.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The BIG beef ribs at Papas BBQ is hard to beat. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Try Rudy's. The breakfast burritos are great. We get them when visiting my SIL. Brisket is my fave but they are all very good. They have several locations. Their sauce is pretty good as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not from Houston, but our daughter lives there now.  When we visit, we always go to Ninfa's for Tex Mex.  Very good and gets great reviews.  (The original one on Navigation).

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Not sure where in Houston you are, but Killen's BBQ in Pearland is worth a visit.
    http://www.killensbarbecue.com/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm not downtown a lot (Live in the suburbs) but go get some good TexMex. Ask someone at your hotel where the best place is around you. You may have to go to Midtown or something to get some decent BBQ. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Not sure how far the closest one is by Lupe Tortilla is one of my favorites for Mexican.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Also look on Yelp. MBW and I use it all the time to find great and really cool places the locals seem to know.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Just saw this. Do you have a car,  or are you using public transport? Killens will be a hike if you don't have a car. 

I haven't really explored the BBQ options here,  but I can give  you some good Asian and other ethnic eating options if you like. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Corkscrew BBQ and Gatlin BBQ will be your best options in Houston.  Rogels is popular but they use a 90/10 pepper to salt ratio.  That is good for beef ribs, but I didn't care for it on my brisket and pork ribs.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Killens in pearland is great but plan on a line and starting at 11 till run out about 3-4
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    Goode Company BBQ on Kirby Dr or Luling BBQ on Richmond Ave or both local, good and near downtown.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Thanks evryone! Hoping we have time to get by some of these places. I will let evryone know if I find a must visit place
  • slovelad
    Options
    Thanks evryone! Hoping we have time to get by some of these places. I will let evryone know if I find a must visit place
  • ChiliPepper
    Options

I will second the suggestion for Rudy's Country Store and BBQ.

And if you are looking for Fajitas its pretty hard to beat Pappasito's. Both are chains, but they are local to the south, and if you are from out of town I think you would enjoy them.

Houston TX
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Underbelly it was recommend to me by others on this forum .... Great food 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    If you will be in Houston at the end of February the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will host it's BBQ Cookoff that is something to see out at NRG Statium.  Feb 25-27 with the Rodeo running March 1-20.  Over 500 teams compete!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • slovelad
    Options
    So I ate at Vick & Anthony's Steak house tonight in Houston . Wow. One of the best steaks I've ever had.

Full disclosure, I didn't pay, it was provided for an event. And free always taste better. But still. It was amazing.

if you are in Houston, and want agreat steak, check it out ( its a fancy joint, we were in full suits)

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    Not sure where in Houston you are, but Killen's BBQ in Pearland is worth a visit.
    http://www.killensbarbecue.com/

This- good bbq

also try their steakhouse- it's really good

great steakhouse in a small house
    Greensboro, NC
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    My friend Mike Jones is from Houston, give him a call 281-330-8004.
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    I love all the Pappa's restaurants. Pappa's bbq is a local chain but I've taken customers there several times since its downtown and the brisket and ribs are very good. Walking in for the smell is worth it.

When you are ready for the best pork chop of your life go to Perry's though. Their 7 finger thick pork chop will change your life. It's not a cheap place, but Friday's for lunch they have a 3 finger thick option at a real inexpensive price. Your life mission will be to try to replicate it after eating it. 
  • slovelad
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    My friend Mike Jones is from Houston, give him a call 281-330-8004.
    Lol classic