Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ghost Peppers...What Should I Do With Them?

Options

Comments

• stonedog03
    Options
    I still want to try this recipe:

http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/homemade-ghost-chile-hot-sauce/

Might be fun to spring on friends / co-workers....
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    A friend sent me a jar of Ghost Pepper salsa.  It's good stuff, but can only eat so much.  It's a slow burn.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Dude in all seriousness be really careful in whatever you decide to do with them. They are the 2nd hottest pepper known to man behind the Carolina reaper. Drying and using in rubs are a great idea but use sparingly even in the rub. I like hot myself but good god them little suckers are insane.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2016
    Options

Seems that it'd be easier to just throw yourself from the roof of a tall building.
    Just as scary, but not as painful.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Smoke them.  Dry them on the egg.  Powder them using a coffee grinder that will be dedicated to pepper grinding in the future.    Use the powder for seasoning.

I'm doing something similar over the next few days.

Don't be swayed by the rhetoric.   You don't have to go crazy when using as a seasoning.  A little goes a long way.  It's actually addictive.  I use a store bought (no fillers, all peppers) blend over eggs for breakfast. You start small and over time you come to crave it.   Next thing you know, you'll be looking to add it to everything. 

Im running out of the store bought...so I'm going to try making my own.   Just have to wait for the weather to stabilize, as I'm not allowed to do it in the house!
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you could also test the vodka at the 2 day point and decide to pull it out, or just water it down with fresh vodka in the drink =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I bought a small grinder of ghost pepper flake from Trader Joes.  It's good, a different kind of burn, but it did take me a few tries to figure out how to temper it.  My wife actually uses it now too, but small amounts.
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Everything in moderation.  I hope I didn't give off the vibe that I wanted to jam one of these in my mouth or cook the whole bag into a single recipe.  I certainly appreciate how hot these are.  I have seen the youtube vids.

However, since I got a free bag, I would like to make use of them...somehow. Drying and either making a powder or vac sealing them seems to be the best 'long term' solution.

I will also likely take one and infuse some vodka with it.  @Thatgrimguy ... good point about quantity.  I'd probably start out by testing 1/4 to 1/2 shot of the infused vodka, add regular on top of that and then the rest of the drink.  If I want more heat then more infused on the next drink.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Similar to a rub could you also make a hot sauce?  You could control the heat by adding a small amount of the peppers compared to everything else.  If it is too hot you could just add more of the other stuff (vinegar, onion, fruit, etc).    

This one sounds interesting:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-ghost-chili-sauce-438373

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Dude in all seriousness be really careful in whatever you decide to do with them. They are the 2nd hottest pepper known to man behind the Carolina reaper. Drying and using in rubs are a great idea but use sparingly even in the rub. I like hot myself but good god them little suckers are insane.
    I enjoy spicy food. I'm a fan of Blazin wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. A good nice hot with a little blue cheese gets my taste buds going. 

A few years ago I went and tried a ghost pepper wing challenge at one of the local restaurants. I think you had to eat 7 wings and couldn't drink anything for 5 minutes after your last wing. Well.......I got through 2.5 wings before tapping out. That crap makes Blazin wings look like amateur hour. Unreal hot. The smell and taste were awful. They slathered, pasted, and baked on the ghost peppers. A hot I've never had before. I felt like I was 9 months pregnant after eating the two and half wings. My stomach didn't know what to do. My wife tried a sample bite (maybe the size of my pinky nail) and her stomach was messed up the rest of the night. Almost made her puke. For how nasty and gross the wings are I almost want to try it again. Not sure why but I want to see if I can get past 2.5 wings! :s
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Pics @WeberWho, pics.

Definitely need pics if you do it again.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Legume said:
    Pics @WeberWho, pics.

Definitely need pics if you do it again.
    @Legume

Not my picture but someone made them look nice for the picture. The wings I got were caked full of ghost. Their rules are kind of funny:
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I've had Ghost Pepper hot sauce. (Melinda's.) It's hot, but not more hot than a lot of other really hot sauces because the manufacturer used less pepper.

The pepper itself has a wonderful sweet taste to it when it is properly integrated into a recipe. Therein lies the problem: You got your habanero at 100,000 scovilles or so, and you got your ghost pepper at TEN TIMES that. It is hard to incorporate enough of it into a recipe to taste, without overwhelming it with chemical heat. Just be careful, and if you think you haven't added enough, you've probably already added to much and should stop.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Make some ABT's and invite your inlaws over. 

Little Rock, AR

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    you could also test the vodka at the 2 day point and decide to pull it out, or just water it down with fresh vodka in the drink =)
    When I was bartending, we would take about 8 oz of vodka and drop a sliced jalepeno into it.  At the end of the shift (6 hours or so), we'd chill it and shoot it, chasing it by biting into a roma tomato (it was a restaurant).  Salsa shots!!  They were great, and the vodka had quite the kick.

After the kick from a few hours with a jalepeno, I can't imagine vodka with days of a ghost pepper.  I like hot, and I'm not going to be that guinea pig.
    NOLA
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A young man from Mexico (Martin) helps me on our farm occasionally.  Couple of years ago I picked some peppers out of my cousins garden on one of our farms.  I took a bite, they looked good.  Thought it would surely burn a hole through my mouth.  Found a couple of tomatoes, ate them, it helped a little.  Rushed home on my ATV and think I drank a gallon of milk.  Damn they were hot.  Cousin said some sort of extra hot habanero.  So I gave 3 or 4 to Martin to try.  He ate lunch every day with some of his nearby friends.  He brought them back.  Said too hot, no flavor.  Now these guys eat peppers regularly and didn't think they were any good.  I'm with Martin.  I don't understand this see who can eat the hottest pepper.  What's the point?  Lots of peppers out there with good flavor and sufficient heat.  See no reason for super hot peppers that have to be supplemented with something else to get flavor.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ghost Pepper Enema :fearful: And pics or it didn't happen :worried: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    @FarmerTom ... I don't necessarily disagree with you.  I would like not likely grow these myself or go out of my way to get some of these peppers myself.  However, I was gifted a free bag of them so I'm just trying to find a way that I can utilize them in a useful way.  I like really hot things so I'm trying to find ways to push that heat boundary while still making tasty food or drink.

As stated earlier in this thread, it sounds like making a powdered form of the pepper is the way to go.  That way I can use it in moderation.  I will also try to make an infused Vodka with it was well to be used in right proportion for a kick-arse bloody mary.

North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • saluki2007
    Options
    I've also had burgers with ghost pepper cheese.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of the pepper vodka thing lately as I'm a HUGE bloody mary fan. I have two bottles right now: the first has four full chocolate habaneros and is really good on it's own and dynamite in a mary; the second has two scorpion chilies and is damn near undrinkable in either format. It's now viewed as either the challenge bottle or punishment bottle depending on the naivete of the folks that are over at any given time...

I'd still try the ghosts in some vodka, but be cautious and be prepared for it to be horrible!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you use a food processor to grind them, seal the bowl tightly with Saran Wrap before starting the motor. I skipped this step before grinding up some dried chiles once. Not even that hot - maybe they were chipotles? Anyhow even with the Cuisinart lid on and the pusher in place it let enough dust into the air that I learned what asthma felt like. Wife was not amused. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bring the Ghost pepper powder to Butt Blast and randomly put it on food and the door handle to the men's room!   :devil:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Bring the Ghost pepper powder to Butt Blast and randomly put it on food and the door handle to the men's room!   :devil:

This is pure evil.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Calm down Satan. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Calm down Satan. 
    lol, that's funny.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• chadpsualum
    Options
    One of my buddies sent me this YouTube Vid.  This girl was trying to break her 2008 record by eating 60 of these?  OMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9cB6Tu5_28
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I dried and ground into a powder then added hot water and distilled a tea that I use on my plants   if you ever wondered how to stop deer from eating 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Roll_Tide_Roll
    Roll_Tide_Roll Posts: 5
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I hear they are great at killing rats or stripping paint.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    One of my buddies sent me this YouTube Vid.  This girl was trying to break her 2008 record by eating 60 of these?  OMG

That's crazy
    NOLA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options

That woman knows no pain.  When i was 3 I rubbed my eyes after playing with chili pequins. 60+ years later i can still remember the intense pain.  

@ Sardonicus....your conclusion is correct 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx