Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waiting in line at Franklin Barbecue - NYTimes

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,323
The New York Times this morning has a little article and short video about waiting in line for entrance into Franklin Barbecue some might find interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/us/for-mavens-of-meat-no-fast-lane-to-slow-cooked-texas-brisket.html?_r=0
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Great stuff. I've read articles similar to this before. Franklin definitely has a great thing going on that's for sure. Eating there is on my bucket list. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I like the comment about the 13 year old "professional line sitter." He has made somewhere in the 5 figures range sitting in bbq lines for people.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    kl8ton said:
    I like the comment about the 13 year old "professional line sitter." He has made somewhere in the 5 figures range sitting in bbq lines for people.

I am pretty sure that has ceased now.... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kl8ton said:
    I am pretty sure that has ceased now.... 
    It has. It's stated in the article. Also stated:
    “Kanye West wanted to cut the line and we didn’t let him,” said Benjamin Jacob, Mr. Franklin’s general manager. “Everybody’s equal.”
    The first part doesn't surprise me--that guy strikes me as one who routinely pulls the "Do you know who I am?" card. ...and the second part tickles and pleases me.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • A couple of years ago, my wife and I took an Egghead friend from Ireland to Franklin BBQ.  Yes, we stood in line.  In fact, we were 125th in line at 8:15 am.  Yes, it was worth it.  We even got to meet Aaron Franklin and take a tour of his famous cookers.  We sent our friend back to Ireland very happy and with this as a keepsake.

Spring "Been There Done That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2016
    I think that's nuts, but sadly I want it, and I will have it at some point. Maybe @cazzy will take me when I show up in Austin
  • My first reaction was "no way in hell I would wait in line that long for food", then somebody said "day drinking" and now I would be all in. 

You've never been in the Army, have you?  You learn early on how to stand in line.  Then they teach you how to Soldier.

Spring "Been There And Done That Too" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• “Kanye West wanted to cut the line and we didn’t let him,” said Benjamin Jacob, Mr. Franklin’s general manager. “Everybody’s equal.”

They just don'e like Kanye  :o. They had no problem letting Obama cut.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/franklin-patrons-excited-to-see-obama-even-after-h/ngc4T/

Waiting in line at Franklin's is more like a tailgate than waiting in a restaurant line. There's beer, breakfast, chairs, umbrellas, and even sometimes canopies. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I've never met someone who was disappointed. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I dream of the day, AF shows up in Louisville, waits three hours to have my brisket. MY Dream=BS.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I love it that AF told Kanye to pound salt.  Now I really want to go.

Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @YukonRon - You must have jumped into AF early-line day drinkin' to be thinking like that ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I will be in Austin in a few weeks (first visit) and I don't think I can wait in line for anything that long. I plan on going to LA Barbecue and a few others. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Hi54putty said:
    I will be in Austin in a few weeks (first visit) and I don't think I can wait in line for anything that long. I plan on going to LA Barbecue and a few others. 
    La Barbecue can be up to two hours on the weekend.  Try to hit em up during the week, and you'll wait lessm. Even Franklin is about 1 to 1.5 hours less Tuesday through Thursday.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
     Hi54putty said:

@Hi54putty

Hit up Cen Tex. If he is around, he'll show you a good time. If you can, go to Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ. They have a "Tex" menu(traditional Tx BBQ) and "Mex" menu (tacos and whatnot). Out of this world. My second favorite place I've been to(after Franklin). It's in a parking lot next to a liquor store so you can grab a sixer and have a good time. Line wasn't too bad when I was there is November.

http://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/our-food.html

• Hi54putty
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    La Barbecue can be up to two hours on the weekend.  Try to hit em up during the week, and you'll wait lessm. Even Franklin is about 1 to 1.5 hours less Tuesday through Thursday.
    Nevermind, I need to go on Tuesday and they aren't open. Oh well. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I have been there twice and it was VERY VERY GOOD! I was told at one time that his brisket was choice or maybe even Select? and if so it was WAY Better than it should have been, I have been told by someone on this forum that that is not true which makes sense (they shared it was PRIME) Well worth it, I got in both times at 11:30 and 1 PM and had Brisket, Ribs, slaw and beans once and had the Pulled Pork the second time with the brisket . 50.00 dollar lunch each time and I will try to get in again the next time I get to town. I got there on  weekdays around 6:30/7:00 both times. I personally have made pulled pork that I thought was close (80% as good) but the Brisket was SOOO GOOD! Great sides also! 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Hi54putty
     Hi54putty said:

@Hi54putty

Hit up Cen Tex. If he is around, he'll show you a good time. If you can, go to Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ. They have a "Tex" menu(traditional Tx BBQ) and "Mex" menu (tacos and whatnot). Out of this world. My second favorite place I've been to(after Franklin). It's in a parking lot next to a liquor store so you can grab a sixer and have a good time. Line wasn't too bad when I was there is November.

http://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/our-food.html

Sweet! We will definitely check it out. They are open on Monday and Tuesday. Thanks for the info. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @Hi54putty holler when you know your schedule, I'd definitely be up for meeting you at Valentina's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Grillmagic
    Brother Magic, in a few of AF's interviews I have heard him say that he uses prime from these folks: http://www.creekstonefarms.com/
    On a few of his videoes and interviews I have seen wrappers with the CSF logo on them. This leads me to believe that he actually does use their beef. Or did at one time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    SGH said:
    @Grillmagic
    Brother Magic, in a few of AF's interviews I have heard him say that he uses prime from these folks: http://www.creekstonefarms.com/
    On a few of his videoes and interviews I have seen wrappers with the CSF logo on them. This leads me to believe that he actually does use their beef. Or did at one time. 

I was performing at a Memphis in May Event 5/6 years ago and one of the venders told a few of us this and back then I had not been to Franklins so I had nothing to compare it to, both times I ate there I thought I was eating choice/ select which really added to how good it was. To date it is the best Brisket I have ever eaten bar none and it makes sense that he is preparing prime. Highly Recommended to any true EGG HEAD! 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Fuzzbutt said:
    “Kanye West wanted to cut the line and we didn’t let him,” said Benjamin Jacob, Mr. Franklin’s general manager. “Everybody’s equal.”

Ehh... that's only a little disappointing. Kanye holds no formal authority over anything of significance. Obama, whatever your opinion may be, is leader of the free world. Aside from the fact that putting him in line for 3+ hours would probably cost the taxpayers several hundred thousand dollars.
    blasting said:
    I love it that AF told Kanye to pound salt.  Now I really want to go.
    Yep, me too. I've never been to Austin, but I've heard great things in general.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've written about my one experience at Aaron Franklin BBQ on here as well as on Yelp but I'll summarize again:

Yes, you will wait in line.
    Yes, it will seem crazy.
    Yes, it's totally worth it!

Best brisket I've ever had (by a MILE) but also the best pulled pork and VERY good pork ribs and sausage. Can't speak to the sides, I ONLY ATE MEAT!!!!

I certainly envy you Austinites; very cool place!

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • They just don'e like Kanye  o. They had no problem letting Obama cut.

Racists!...oh wait. Never Mind
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blasting
    I wonder if any restaurant has refused service to a president?

A presidential visit shuts the restaurant down for a chunk of the day, and imagine the publicity you'd get turning down a presidential visit...

Phoenix 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    blasting said:

A presidential visit shuts the restaurant down for a chunk of the day, and imagine the publicity you'd get turning down a presidential visit...

In DC, it's only for an hour or so. I guess it's since they are used to Presidential visits.
  • blasting
    blasting said:

In DC, it's only for an hour or so. I guess it's since they are used to Presidential visits.
    With all the security checks and sweeps, I had thought it would be more.  I had heard BO was turned down for golf because it shut down the course.
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - You must have jumped into AF early-line day drinkin' to be thinking like that ;)
    @lousubcap naw, it was from the continuation of late night drinkin' that made me think that.
    Still total BS. Just hoped people laughed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Fuzzbutt said:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/franklin-patrons-excited-to-see-obama-even-after-h/ngc4T/

Waiting in line at Franklin's is more like a tailgate than waiting in a restaurant line. There's beer, breakfast, chairs, umbrellas, and even sometimes canopies. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I've never met someone who was disappointed. 

Even if I had been waiting in line in the cold and rain for five hours if the POTUS shows up (regardless of my personal feelings for the person) I'd be glad to let the Prez go ahead and cut in line.

POTUS has enough on their plate (so to speak) and could really use a lunch break with the best brisket on the planet!

As the city of Austin voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 and 2012 I'm sure there were very few who were upset by his visit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Who wouldn't let POTUS go ahead ... his side kicks have guns and no sense of humor on the job.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max