Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged meat - YES! Aged chicken eggs - maybe not!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I didn't know this about eggs! but the fresher the egg, the better it'll taste.
http://www.wimp.com/surprising-average-age-of-supermarket-eggs/
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Another reason I prefer farm fresh eggs. The one's I get locally up the road from my house would be considered free range organic. If you have a source it's definitely worth it. And in many cases it's actually cheaper than the grocery store. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited January 2016
    Fresh is best, but keep in mind USDA advises 6 to 8 weeks is fine (safe)

As far as grocery stores go: when i was a grocery store employee in high school they (egg farm) would bring empty containers, and we'd transfer the eggs from old ones, picking out broken eggs, wash them, and put 'em in the new container
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I think serious eats did a blind taste test and people couldn't tell the difference between farm fresh and grocery store eggs. I find most of the farm fresh eggs I've had way better than the grocery store eggs. Maybe I'm crazy though?!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited January 2016
    Fresh is fresh. But there's a difference in fresh versus older if you are making souffles, omelettes, whipped egg white, etc. 

on the plate, fresh yolks stand taller. And grass fed chickens (those allowed to eat bugs etc) have much more yellow yolks.   

i'm not advocating for two month old grocery store eggs, fwiw. Just saying they are safe
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    last trip to China we were served Pidan Eggs, you could tell they were not fresh
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    This spring I am getting a few birds again. Had them for 10+ years, then a predator got in and left me with three.  This spring, the coop is getting a rebuild and the run a 100% overhaul.  Best friends little girls are getting chicks for Easter, then coming to my "farm".  Can't wait.  

As  far as the difference between "my" and the stores eggs?  I could not taste, but in the summer when they are 100 free ranging and foraging for themselves, the yolks were orange, not yellow. That was the only difference To me. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    Fresh is fresh. But there's a difference in fresh versus older if you are making souffles, omelettes, whipped egg white, etc. 

on the plate, fresh yolks stand taller. And grass fed chickens (those allowed to eat bugs etc) have much more yellow yolks.   

i'm not advocating for two month old grocery store eggs, fwiw. Just saying they are safe
    The only reason I posted this link was to share something ELSE that I didn't know. :o Guess I've lived all my life eating old eggs and never knew the difference, but since this  forum is quasi-food related I figured I'd run it up the flag pole!  =)
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    When living in rural Indonesia we often saw pickups loaded with eggs trundling around in 95 degree heat.  Have no idea how old they were, but it took some getting used to not buying refrigerated eggs.  And we lived to tell about it.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    However, older eggs are better for hard boiling. They're easier to remove the shell.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Really easy to test egg freshness. Put it in water if it lays flat it's really fresh, it stand up but stays sunk it's getting older but still ok, if it floats throw it out.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Fresh eggs will be good for a surprisingly long time at room temp as long as they are NOT washed.

Lit said:
    Really easy to test egg freshness. Put it in water if it lays flat it's really fresh, it stand up but stays sunk it's getting older but still ok, if it floats throw it out.
    LOL...will the grocery store clerk hold the pail of water for you while you check? 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    LOL...will the grocery store clerk hold the pail of water for you while you check? 
    I have never worried about the grocery store ones it's the ones we get from other sources I test. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    chipman said:
    However, older eggs are better for hard boiling. They're easier to remove the shell.
    Same for poaching.

Saw a show on tv once about egg standards in US.  Apparently our supermarkets created the standard for refrigerating eggs, long ago they were just stacked in the local grocer, not kept cold.
  • Refrigerated because we wash them

in the US it is illegal to sell unwashed eggs. In the UK it is illegal to sell them washed

when washed, they lose a protective film on the exterior. 

So they must be refrigerated. ...at least that's what i've heard from the foodies

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2016
    Refrigerated because we wash them

in the US it is illegal to sell unwashed eggs. In the UK it is illegal to sell them washed

when washed, they lose a protective film on the exterior. 

So they must be refrigerated. ...at least that's what i've heard from the foodies
    Also on that note, once refrigerated they must remain refrigerated due to sweating. However fresh laid eggs can safely be left unrefrigerated in the hen box up to 14 days. Even in the summer heat. However once chilled, they must remain this way as sweating will cause rot. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    paqman said:
    Fresh eggs will be good for a surprisingly long time at room temp as long as they are NOT washed.
    FACT! If you leave the bloom on it'll keep them very fresh and seals the pores and prevents bacteria from permeating. Fresh eggs are also fine (with bloom) at room temp although I personally refrigerate mine immediately. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    The bloom isn't the most aesthetically appealing thing in the world but, it does serve a purpose.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    What is bloom husker?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited January 2016
    @RRP btw, i wasn't correcting anything actually. Just relating that i think it is surprising the USDA says that eggs are fine in your fridge for as long as two months "or more"

I've mentioned i know people who throw out food after three days. Their forehead would cave in at the idea of two month old eggs

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've mentioned i know people who throw out food after three days. 
    They should be arrested.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2016
    @Legume
    It's essentially the egg's protective coating or cuticle and dirt etc will also be on them at times. Here's a pic of some free range duck eggs w/ bloom. No different on chicken eggs. 
    Duck eggs w/ bloom.

Same duck eggs w/ bloom washed off.

Farm Fresh free range chicken eggs w/ bloom. These the bloom isn't quite as dirty looking.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Legume said:
    What is bloom husker?
    A natural coating on the egg. Aka: cuticle. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @NPHuskerFL
    We crossed in cyberspace. My apologies. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    DMW said:
    I've mentioned i know people who throw out food after three days. 
    They should be arrested.

As my Grandfather would say if I left a scrap of food on my plate..."There are starving children in China!  Don't waste it. "
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @RRP btw, i wasn't correcting anything actually. 
    Didn't come off that way @darby_crenshaw but you have to walk very gingerly on his threads.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    @RRP btw, i wasn't correcting anything actually. 
    Didn't come off that way @darby_crenshaw but you have to walk very gingerly on his threads.  
    ah, come on guys...SH*T if we could ever meet face to face I think you both would find I'm NOT the pr*ck you seem to think I am. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Ron's definitely not a dickhead. :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Elderly maybe :wink: I kid. I kid. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    RRP said:
    ah, come on guys...SH*T if we could ever meet face to face I think you both would find I'm NOT the pr*ck you seem to think I am. 
    For what it's worth, you are a great contributor and provide a valuable service in my book. I appreciate all that you have shared in my short time here. 

Status- Standing by.