Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone questions

Options
Didnt get a pizza stone for xmas...so I need to buy one, from looking around the best ones are BGE brand, but how large of one? I have a Large egg...do I want one that fills the space? or one that leaves space around the sides...

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    BGE makes a Pizza stone that fits the Large. It has space around the sides. Another side note I have used a metal pizza stone and it works great. Way cheaper. Knowing what I know now about pizza stones I would buy one from Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store. If your set on a stone that is.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• ar15203
    Options
    I would second Tom from Ceramic Grill Store
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    If money isn't the issue and you want something top tier, check out 'Baking Steel' .. pizza's cook nice and even.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If I were buying a stone for a large, I'd get a 14" stone from BGE. However, a piece of 1/4" steel plate cut to 14" would be my preference. Costs about $12 from my local steel dealer. Plus whatever they charge to cut. The official "Baking Steel" is about $80-90. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I bought a stone from world market for less than $25.00. I have used it frequently with zero issues. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mindfulwanderer
    Options
    Just a few thoughts about baking stones; bigger is not better, space around the sides provides even heat and the first pizza stone I bought from the BGE cracked in less than 3 months. The BGE store replaced the stone at no charge. Now I have read about using UNGLAZED tile on several baking websites. If my stone ever fails I will go that route. Bake on egghead!
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    A good thick stone will set you back $50 but worth it. Got mine on Amazon. If you don't drop it and let the stone preheat in the egg as it heats up, should last forever. 
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I got one from lowes, it is 14 inch and came with a metal peel and pizza cutter for $20.  Works well enough 
  • NavyMatty
    Options
    I have an XL with the BGE stone to match...  I've been making pizza for years (before owning the BGE).  The BGE stone is thick and well made--better than any of my older ones that I'd use in my kitchen's oven.  They're a little pricey, but I think the stone is perfect.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Get the BGE deep dish stone. That way you get two for the price of one. One way deep dish, flip it over regular pizza stone. Mines 3 years old and going strong!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I did my one and only Pizza cook with a Southern Living Ceramic Stone which I since learned will likely break.  Next cook will be w my Lodge CI Pan/ Stone
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite. Both the BGE and CGS stones meet this.  The BGE stone is not the best out there - there are others available that are the same. I believe the CGS sells a 15" stone for large eggs. You do need to leave room around the sides.

If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hogview
    Options
    Anyone used a Pampered Chef pizza stone?

Abe

Little Rock

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I was planning to buy a BGE or CGS stone but never got around to it.  Wanted to try pizza and all I had was a thin Pampered Chef stone.  I have been using that Pampered Chef stone now for the last 3 years with no problems.  I don't doubt the BGE and CGS stones are better alternatives but I haven't had any problems with my Pampered Chef stone.  Did 4 pizzas over the weekend and made another batch of dough for 3 more this week.  I usually cook them at 575 to 600, raised.

XL BGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I'd give a look into the Lodge Pizza Pan.  I'll never go back to a stone.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Hogview said:
    Anyone used a Pampered Chef pizza stone?
    Those have a horrible reputation when used on the BGE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I agree with RRP on the reputation for cracking, etc... but like I said, I have had no problems with mine.  Maybe just lucky.
    XL BGE
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    As an alternative, consider a glazed stone.  I used a regular round stone from Amazon (forget which one) but then bought a glazed stone from Sur La Table. $40.  I don't see a difference in my cooks.  But the glazed stone is easier to clean (and dishwasher safe) and because it is thin and light, I can easily store in kitchen.  My old stone was stored outside with other Egg stuff, and in winter it took a while to pre-heat and I worried about cracking.  Williams Sonoma has a similar one for more money
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I have the master forge 14 inch pizza stone from lowes.  It works well and not that expensive and comes with a peel and cutter.  I do want the deep dish bge one too