Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy Thoughts about a Charcoal Storage Container.

Options
I keep waking myself up at night thinking about a charcoal storage container that you could pour a bag of lump into and in the bottom there would be a screen and a little catch space for those small bits and dust.  Maybe even a door at the bottom that would allow you to empty the scrap bits out without having to empty the entire container.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Moto

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I haven't seen one. However I did make a screen to separate the smaller pieces of charcoal left in the bottom 1/4 of the bag. What I found out by running the charcoal through the screen was there was really nothing left down in the bottom of the bag that was large enough for me to use.
    It was one of those things that sounded better than it actually worked out.

I was trying to screen out some Royal Oak that really must have had rough handling in transit to the store. I''m sure that had a lot to do with the screening failure.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    motowfo said:
    I keep waking myself up at night thinking about a charcoal storage container that you could pour a bag of lump into and in the bottom there would be a screen and a little catch space for those small bits and dust.  Maybe even a door at the bottom that would allow you to empty the scrap bits out without having to empty the entire container.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Moto
    I haven't seen one for a while - yet I haven't been looking either, but I'm positive that Rubbermaid used to make such a beast!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can use two 5 gallon plastic work buckets (with your favorite home supply logo on it). Drill some holes in the bottom of one and then stack them. Won't hold a full 20 pound bag at once. Some use this set up to filter used lump.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GregW
    Options
    You wake up at night over this, huh? Seek professional help. :)

I store mine in the bag it came it. Dump load after load into my egg, dust and all. It ALL burns and NONE is ever wasted. There are no "scrap bits".
    I have trouble getting the really high temps that I like for steaks if I use the small pieces and dust in the bottom of the bag.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I use a few plastic storage boxes. Each one holds about a half a bag of lump (I think they are about a 5 gallon size).

All the fines just settle to the bottom after a few quick shakes.

I use a scoop whenever I need to remove lump and never really have a problem with any fines leaving the storage box.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You could use something like that plastic ceiling tile stuff. I have thought about building something like this too. But I started buying large amounts of Rockwood and don't have enough dust to care anymore.

(http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskolite-4-ft-x-2-ft-Suspended-Light-Ceiling-Panel-1199233A/202025149) 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why waste time screening lump. That's what the bottom of the bag is for.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Might I suggest...

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

I store mine in the bag it came it. Dump load after load into my egg, dust and all. It ALL burns and NONE is ever wasted. There are no "scrap bits".
    I agree.  Everything in the bag gets used on my BGE.  Once in a while a bag will have a lot of powder at the bottom. If it seems like too much, I just leave some of it in my Kingsford charcoal container for my next cook.  The small pieces cook just fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    Options
    You guys are awesome... still gonna think about this...  I believe a couple of pieces of plywood and some chicken wire might just make this happen!
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    2 5 gallon buckets, one with the bottom cut out and replaces with expanded metal.  Best of all it was free, just had the parts laying around the garage.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I dont seem to have trouble with the small bits and dust, but I usually try to put that on top and let it burn with the rest. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    I say go all out.  Start with one of these, rig up
    your screen and set the whole thing right over your egg so you can just fill it through the top.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I imagine it being like a giant frying tupaware. Where you put he fish fry in the bottom, shake violently. And then all the fish fry settles back to the bottom
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I wake up thinking about recipes, but never lump.  I have the perfect container, the one it came in.

Not snark, just ribbing you  :)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I will admit I sleep very little. The lack of slumber is not due to the issue of the storage of lump, in a manner to which a container will multi task, as a charcoal separator.
    I dump the entire bag into a storage bin. 
    Darwinism ensures the fines and powder gravitate to the bottom. When the usable lump is depleted from the bin, I dump the bin into the refuse container. The fines and dust help control odors associated with the large plastic herbie curbie, especially in the summer, after our shrimp boils.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    First world problems. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Back when I first started egging I sorted lump but quickly gave it up for more funner thing in life! Now when I get to the bottom of the bag I will cut the bag down and just grab the good pieces and toss all the fines, some times I dump the bottom of the bag in a 24 soda can cardboard flat and pick out the good pieces.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited January 2016
    Options

Back when I first started egging I sorted lump but quickly gave it up for more funner things in life! Now when I get to the bottom of the bag I will cut the bag down and just grab the good pieces and toss all the fines, some times I dump the bottom of the bag in a 24 soda can cardboard flat and pick out the good pieces.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• EGGcellent_Smithers
    Options
    How about a 5-gallon plastic bucket with a GritGuard at the bottom? That would let the smaller pieces and dust settle. Pick the bigger pieces out to use on the Egg.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-IAI503-Guard-Insert/dp/B00ABYVTZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453909565&sr=8-1&keywords=grit+guard

Egging in Indy...
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I made my own, exactly the way you described it 3 years ago.   like to leave my lump outside next to my egg.  It is just more convenient for me. I used the bag dump for a while but got sick of all the dust blowing all over when I dumped.  I wanted to clean it up a bit so folks on the deck didn't turn into coal miners.

The Dog food store had a special, buy 2 bags of food and get a free container.  I was a simple green plastic container 30" tall or so with a snap on lid.  I use that container which fits about 10lbs of lump.  I bought some chicken wire (mesh ) from the hardware store.  I shaped it to fit in the bottom leaving a 2" lip.  The lip (bent the chicken wire downward) provided perimeter support for the chicken wire but also created the 2" depth i wanted for the dust to fall into.  
    The chicken wire itself didn't provide enough support so I grabbed a few nuts and carriage bolts that fit through he chicken wire.  I used them as supports, I think I have 3 bolt legs through the mesh that now serve as legs for the mesh.
    It works great so don't lose anymore sleep over it!
    Go find a container that works and grab some mesh.  5 minute project.
  • RRP
    Options

I dump the bottom of the bag in a 24 soda can cardboard flat and pick out the good pieces.

Yo, Jim...every time I get near the end I dump the bag in to a collector bag, after I get a little I bump it all into the hardware cloth sifter I made and then bump the good stuff into the coal bucket!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dump and go.... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    next thing you know your awake in bed thinking, what to do with all the charcoal dust =) i solved that problem with just dumping and burning, i sleep well at night
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    I dont seem to have trouble with the small bits and dust, but I usually try to put that on top and let it burn with the rest. 
    +1
    canuckland
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    If you've got the plywood laying around, build a small cabinet and make the charcoal bin where it is hinged and tips out like an old Hoosier cabinet and its flour bin.  Drill out a couple of large holes and fasten expanded metal screen to the bottom of the box so it dumps into a drawer.

Good idea!  I like it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• MelSharples
    Options
    I bought 2 identical large plastic bins from target, maybe $8 each, and 1 locking lid. I drilled several holes (large and small) in the bottom of one and stacked it inside the other. I pour a bag of lump in, pick up the inner bin and give it a few good shakes. I am left with relatively dust free charcoal in the top bin and a bunch of charcoal dust in the bottom bin. I have thought of trying to add a cut out area with a screen of some kind in the bottom that would further allow the passing of small particle and dust but I haven't put that into action yet.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • GregW
    Options
    I have a chiminea that gets all the charcoal unfit for the egg.