Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best knives for brisket?

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:
    Do these slicing knives offer much benefit over a sharp 10" chef knife?

The edge lasts longer since you don't use it as much?
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Lit said:
    Yes yes yes. Big time. I ordered the dexter knife. And it's a huge benefit for cutting brisket
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Keyrock said:
    What are your preferred knives for slicing brisket? Last time out I had a tough time slicing the finished product. I actually ended up using the electric knife that I had just used on our turkey (it was Christmas day). It was adequate, but left a lot of brisket sawdust on the cutting board. The brisket was actually quite tender so I'm blaming the knife. I've got a few gift cards to spend so I figured I would pick up some bbq accessories. I would like to keep it around $20-40, if possible.

I would also like to pick up a knife for trimming fat on brisket, pork shoulder, etc. Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

I know this has been discussed dozens (hundreds?) of times on this forum before, but I haven't posted anything in my 3 years as a member so I thought I would start here. Plus, I'm old, and searching forum histories confuses me.

Thanks for your input. 
    As to fat removal, i use a spoon and scrape off the exterior creamy fat and put in pan on egg so it melts down, then it gets mixed with mashed taters for the cholesterol special!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Lit said:
    you get more control with a flexible slicer. not sure thats needed with brisket as i dont cook them much but more control with thin slicing a huge roast with less drag on the blade. my currant slicer is from the 50's and ive been able to cut super thin slices of prosciutto with it,something i cant do well with the chef, im hoping the messermeister knife that nola posted works even better with the shorter profile and granton edge.  not a fan of serrated unless im cutting crusty breads, i just cant duplicate the factory sharpness with those when trying to sharpen them. if your just going to use it for brisket it should last the average backyard griller a lifetime though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I prefer a straight edge over the serrated  (scalloped) one. Easier to sharpen and hone too.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    ! have a Guy fieri 10 inch slotted chefs knife that slices or chops very excelenty.  It is a knuckle sandwhich style which stays very sharp and is heavy. It slices as well as my 12 inch slotted serrated slicer.     However I still want the one eveeryone is talking about from amazon
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I've been using an old, thin slicer that I "borrowed," but recently found a great deal on a Victorinox 12" slicer, for $40 new.  looking forward to it for briskets and bacon.

I never understood why these knives were called granton edge, since the cutting edge is straight.  "Granton Edge" is a brand,  Granton is the company, and some of their knives they put the little scallops on the side.  the more you know...

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Is there any downside of using your brisket knife for other things?  I'm thinking my brisket slicer would make a good bread knife as well.  

I've got the same 12" dexter that many here have.  

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    blasting said:

Is there any downside of using your brisket knife for other things?  I'm thinking my brisket slicer would make a good bread knife as well.  

I use mine for bread sometimes.  I can't see why it would cause an issue.  I also used it for sawing through frozen meat...now that is probably shortening the life of the knife but I don't do it often. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    blasting said:

bread and tomatoes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    Like many above, I love the Dexter Russell knives with the Sani-Safe handle.  That handle is slightly soft for a good grip even with wet and slimy hands, plus it is impervious to water and oils, so it can be sterilized.  Be aware though that while Dexter Russell knives are in general excellent, for a while they were selling a produce line called "Dexter Russell International" which are quite cheap...in all senses of that word.  They were distinctive D-R knives in that they did NOT proudly say "Made in USA". I think Dexter Russell has discontinued these terrible knives, but they are still widely available. I am 90% sure that they rebranded these knives their "Basic" series, but I can't tell for sure.  Some model #s are the same, and the prices stayed very low. The Internationals, at least, were cheap steel, hard plastic handles, and often sold for <$10. I have never used a Basic, and frankly don't plan on doing so any time soon.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Keyrock
    Keyrock Posts: 13
    Options
    And the winner is...

The Victorinox 12" Granton Edge Slicer with Fibrox handle.

I had some Amazon gift cards and the Granton Edge Dexter never showed up there. 

Smoking a brisket next week. Looking forward to using the new knife.

How/where do you store your long knives? I don't think I want this one banging around in the knife drawer. May have to get - or make - a sheath. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Keyrock said:
    And the winner is...

How/where do you store your long knives? I don't think I want this one banging around in the knife drawer. May have to get - or make - a sheath. 
    This is a good slicer. If you add to your collection look for the Dexter WAVY edge. It's not grant on edged, it's a scalloped blade. I have both. The scalloped edge is nice for thin slices. You got a very good all around slicer there. The blade is pretty darn stout. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Keyrock said:
    And the winner is...

I had the same dilemma. I ended up getting this one:
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-17-pocket-knife-case/353E1117.html

The same one is available from their online sister store if you don't have one nearby:
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-17-pocket-knife-case/353E1117.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Messemeister makes some plastic knife sheaths for about $5-6 each. 
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    I have long used a magnetic bar to hold my good knives.  I have never understood why these aren't more popular; they are simple and work exactly as they should. Keeps knives out of way, makes sure they dry thoroughly, yet handy and easy to grab the knife you want (mine is on the outside of a kitchen cabinet, right near the sink).  The one I have (shown below) is 12", and is now $17 at Bed Bath and Beyond.  You can spend a lot more and get the same thing if you insist (same thing with a mahogany back is ~$50) :o

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Messemeister makes some plastic knife sheaths for about $5-6 each. 
    +1 to this.  We got a bunch on Amazon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    excellent choice on the slicer. I am a butcher and fully recommend Forschner knives. I mostly use an 8" breaking knife and a 6" boning knife. You can usually get them for about $25 each. All my expensive knives have pretty much been packed away. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    blasting said:

I like a straight edge for brisket and a serrated knife for bread. I found the serrated knife does a much better job when it comes to bread.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    IF I had the loot?

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-hollow-ground-slicing-knife

Shun Damascus Steel.   Probably on a VG-10 core.    Properly cared for, one of your kids will leave it to THEIR kids.