Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How I eat so well for so cheap.

anton
anton Posts: 1,813
I know I may drone on and on about how great restaurant Depot is. But here is the reality of it, this is what I picked up the other day, cryo pack of 8 tri tips, cost $100. Ribeye was $147, I cut 11 steaks out of it and saved approximately maybe six pound chunk for a prime rib roast. This is all Superior Angus Choice grade beef, & I can really tell the difference in the taste from it and their commodity meats.

So I cut steaks, and put everything in foodsaver , then in the freezer,  this will last at least two months, if not three, supplemented with chicken, pork etc. So in the long run the bulk deal is working for me. Kcbs.com, $35 a year membership pays for itself in one purchase at Restaurant Depot.I spent 400 total,  including coffee, soft drinks,cheeses, seafoods, sushi grade ahi tuna, crab, breads, case of pork chops. Place is awesome

Bon Appétit Eggheads 
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I agree!!  Boneless skinless chicken thighs for $0.79/lb is sure cheap too!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That's some fine looking meat you stocked up on. And I agree, RD kicks a$$.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm with you.  Restaurant Depot visits are happy times for me.  Love the place.

Nice job on your processing btw.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Well all right all right all right
    I wish we had something like this in the UK
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    So with KCBC you get a year pass? I thought it was only a one day pass?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Good deal.  Closes one to me is a little over 2 hours away.  My local COSTCO has good meat and good deals too so I am just as happy with it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Thatgrimguy
    slovelad said:
    So with KCBC you get a year pass? I thought it was only a one day pass?
    It's unlimited one day passes.  Though some people are getting permanent passes now.  But it takes about 5 min at the door and you get a pass. You can get one every single day with a KCBS card. @slovelad
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @Thatgrimguy how long did it take you to get your card from kCBS?
  • anton
    @slovelad , took a 4-5 days from ordering online, until it came in the mail.
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    By chance do they have online ordering/shipping??
  • Thatgrimguy
    fishindoc said:
    By chance do they have online ordering/shipping??
    Negative. This is a place for restaurants to buy in bulk. Great prices on large amounts. No shipping. terrible customer service, and pain in the arse to return stuff. 

But the price is right and they have a HUGE variety at most stores.
  • Thanks for posting this I have one opening up by me in May.

I have my own small business (not food related) I wonder if I can get a membership or do you have to have a restaurant business to get a membership?

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Thanks for posting this I have one opening up by me in May.

I have my own small business (not food related) I wonder if I can get a membership or do you have to have a restaurant business to get a membership?

I had no trouble.  I was honest and told the lady my business had nothing to do with food.  She asked if I had a business card or company checkbook.

Phoenix 
  • Thanks for the info. I will go there when they open their Greenville SC location in the spring.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Those steaks look incredible.    I just signed up for KCBS and am awaiting my membership packet...can't wait to go to RD and scope it out...
  • Thatgrimguy

Thanks for posting this I have one opening up by me in May.

Any company is allowed. I have a permanent card through my car dealership. I brought that business license in and no one even asked about it.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Im lucky, I just order through work. Wholesale prices.

• anton
    Those steaks look incredible.    I just signed up for KCBS and am awaiting my membership packet...can't wait to go to RD and scope it out...
    You'll love it.
  • anton
    Well all right all right all right
    I read that in McConaughey's  voice
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    We have been doing some concession stand volunteer work for the school and got a membership thru that, we have had good luck with frozen burgers, nacho cheese and chips etc.  I've not been all too impressed with the fresh meat selection at RD's Milwaukee location, Costco has way better selection and also has prime. 

Maybe I was expecting more based on what others have posted here.

• You can't shop at restaurant depot unless you own a restaurant or non-profit???
    Denver, CO
  • anton
    You can't shop at restaurant depot unless you own a restaurant or non-profit???
    No, untrue, you have to have ANY resale license,or a Kansas City bbq society membership, go to kcbs.com, and for $35 a year, you can buy a membership, then take it to Restaurant Depot for a day pass, or now they're giving out real membership cards
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    How much cheaper is this place than Sam's?  We may have to stop by there next time we are in Nashville 
  • anton
    nth78 said:
    How much cheaper is this place than Sam's?  We may have to stop by there next time we are in Nashville 
    Wholesale pricing, We don't have Sam's here in my area of NorCal. Just Wal-marts, I never compared prices btwn the two, wish I had a better answer for you.
  • Thatgrimguy
    nth78 said:
    If you are buying cases it's amazing. I'm talking 40lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs for $32.