Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travel Trailer and a Mini Max

I just got a large egg for my birthday and I'm in love.  However we own a travel trailer and are gone many weekends during the summer.  I'm interested in what people have to say about how it is as a portable cooker.  Weight? How fragile? Thoughts please.  Thank you

Comments

• Marcusp
    Marcusp Posts: 16
    I carry one in my motorhome and have had no problems.  I was carrying a small but have since bought the minmax due to being shorter and easier to insert in the basement storage area.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have a small and nest that we keep in the Motor Home, have had it for several years. The Mini max is almost as heavy as the small, MM has carrier but truth be told one person will not be carrying it very far, much easier with two people. I have traveled with large, medium, small and mini eggs they travel very well and not fragile as far as I'm concerned. I just put my small in a hatch in the Motor Home and off we go, no special packing at all. I say get the largest size egg your willing to travel with.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I carry a mini in the basement of our motor home. I find the mini max to heavy to be "portable" not to mention I do more Dutch oven cooking when camping then egging. 

I like to go back like I'm on a wagon train heading west...lol except for with air conditioning, shower, bathroom....lol you get the point.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I have a mini, and it's a breeze to carry. The minimax is a little bit heavy for some people to toss around 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2016
    Active , workout and lift. The thing is damn heavy period. Mini is easy work, especially after trying to move the MM.
    Seattle, WA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The MM will make you proud once you have carried to the spot you want to cook. I do that to impress My Beautiful Wife. She spends the rest of the trip breaking out the ice bags, heating pads, Motrin, etc. for me.
    No seriously, I am an old guy, but in relatively decent shape, for someone that exists on a diet of chicken wings, bacon wrapped whatever, ribs, butts, Wine beer and Bourbon. I can heft its weight. It is not easy, but it is certainly worth it when we take it anywhere. 
    It would be recommended choice for travel.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    It may offend some folks but if you want something the size of the MiniMax but quite a bit lighter you should take look at the Kamado Joe Jr.

It's cooking grid (13.5") is a bit larger than the MM (13") but it is quite a bit lighter (68lbs) than the MM (90lbs).

A KJ Jr. is also quite a bit cheaper especially if purchased at one of the Kamado Joe Roadshows at Costco ($400).

I love my KJ Jr.

If the color bothers you you can always spray it green. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2016
    Careful with grills and trailers or motorhomes. A fairly old article, but I'm guessing CO is still deadly...

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/communications/CO/grill.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2016
    Do you plan on low and slow when camping or just basic camping food? To be honest my mini probably hasn't been lit in a year and my small became too much of a pain for basic cooks when camping/tailgating. I bought a Weber Jumbo Joe and it's been great. 18" grid, fits under a full size truck tonneau cover, you can pick it up with one hand, dump it with one hand, and if someone steals it you're only out $50. I'd grab the small egg if going strictly BGE for camping 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Be sure and check height. If I take the Van my Mini Max is fine but will not go in the Taco with the lid down. The Mini fits in the Taco just fine in the Carten   

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    edited January 2016
    I had a small strapped on the back of my RV. I had it on one of those racks you get at Harbor Freight for holding coolers, slides into the trailer hitch.

The insides got busted into 5 parts. I found it to be very hard on the egg. But that's at the back of the motorhome and not riding over an axle. And that's riding over to New Orleans twice a month over the worst stretch of Interstate in the country (they are fixing it now but in the process it's been crazy)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum