Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bark on brisket???

Options
so I have a brisket that was due to be smoked. However I am sick and didn't want to go out in the elements today. I trimmed and put salt and pepper on it. 5 hours in the oven and the fat cap has zero bark. It actually looks gross. Does the smoke and air flow help create the bark?? Or do I just need to use way more salt and pepper on the fat cap? Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    The smoke is crucial to the bark 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Makes sense as to why mine looks like dog sh*t then lol

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    You can enhance the bark with certain items in your rub, however smoke is the big key. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Makes sense as to why mine looks like dog sh*t then lol
    Ha!  If you're using a similar method, the fat should still render effectively and it should be tastey, though not smokey.

if you're ever going to skip the smoke for convenience, try cooking the brisket in a Jewish style.  It's more like braising and gets fall apart tender.  Less impressivethan the meteorite, but it sure is good
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can get great bark
    in the oven. How much salt and pepper did you use? Was it table salt and pepper or kosher and course ground? 5 hrs is very short for a brisket. Was it just a little flat or something? At What temp did you cook? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pics? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Brisket gods giving you the business right now...;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    You can get great bark
    in the oven. How much salt and pepper did you use? Was it table salt and pepper or kosher and course ground? 5 hrs is very short for a brisket. Was it just a little flat or something? At What temp did you cook? 
    Kosher and coarse black pepper.  I used a light coat, about what Franklin uses in his brisket how to video

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Brisket's bark is from fire's bite. PLus, some spices on dry rub and that oh so important pellicle....