Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Sous Vide--Ribeye--Using Kenji's Guide to Sous Vide Steak

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I read the Guide twice (my printed out version):
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

We bit the bullet using the Sansaire ciculator for a guest coming to dinner. Costco Prime ribeyes were about 1-1/4" thick. We used salt and pepper and sprigs of thyme before putting them in ziplock bags.

What temp and how long to cook? Kenji says "I prefer ribeyes and strip steaks cooked medium-rare to medium, around 129°F (54°C) to 135°F (57°C)." And he gives a wide range of times. Just using intuition I set the timer for 1 hour and picked 134° but went down to 132° after 15 minutes. Both guesses turned out to be perfect! Even if the meat was too rare, that can be fixed during the sear.

Seared them on all sides in hot CI skillets on the stovetop, then rested them on a rack while finishing dinner and the pan sauce.

Chimichurri Sauce is the perfect foil for the rich meat. As was the red wine.

Here are the EGO SHOTS:

Photos courtesy of Joshua Savage.

I'm in awe. It was painless! I didn't even mind doing the dishes.

Here are two tips: Chris Kimble says that to aerate red wine, pour it quickly from one decanter to another, 12 times exactly (you know how he is).  We used measuring cups to toss. It turned a cheap average wine into a delicious one!  

The other tip is from Martha Stewart. After you take baked russets out of the oven, smack them down on the counter and that fluffs up the inside. Don't go all he-man and blast them to smithereens...just a gentle thwack. It's a good thing.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Very nice Judy, sous vide makes perfecting steak easy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Wow! Wow!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Very nice.

I took advantage of Snake River Farms sale this month and got a few ribeye. Haven't decided how I'm going to cook them but I'm pretty sure I'll do at least a couple of them via sous vide/cast iron skillet.

Good call on the chimichurri, I make a pint of that just about every week and use it on everything!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Take a look at the Polyscience Sous Vide Toolbox app. I have it on my iPhone.
    It is really good for calculating time/temp for various thickness.
    It will also calculate how long to pasteurize to the core. 

I use it frequently.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    You have a winner there. Rim to rim perfection. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    These pictures look Great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    WOWSER, Judith! You nailed that meal! That plate is food magazine worthy! BTW you'll have email shortly!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.