Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what went wrong with my brisket? Details inside

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok. I pre-heated the egg up to 250 dome, stablized it for 40minutes. Put the brisket fat side down directly on the grill after putting mustard and Dizzy's on it. I also had it setup for indrect. The brisket weighted 2.66 pounds. I know, I know, thats like a kiddy brisket for all you people down South but up here in MN its hard enough to find brisket let alone a 10 pounder, plus I wanted to practice before I took on a bigger one. So at that weight I figured on the long side 6 hours. Well it took 12 and 1/2 hours!! The grid temp stayed inbetween 217 and 249. The dome only once got to 300. I have a Mavrick dome/meet thermonitor so I was monitoring the temp. When the brisket reached 180 I took it out rapped it with foil and added apple juice to the foil. Then completed the cook when the temp reached 197. I only let it set in the tinfoil for about 1/2 hour afterwords because it was 11:30 at night and I had to work the next morning. It has a great bark but when I tried it it tasted a little tuff. My wife said (arrow through my heart) "That it tasted like beef jerky". My question is what did I do wrong? At that rate I will have to start my July 4th cook on July 1st if I make a 12 pound brisket. Oh I also used Maple to smoke it.

Comments

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,
    The first brisket I did was about 2 pounds even. I cooked it for 8 hours and got a result that was, at best, ok. Since then, I have done several briskets in the 6 pound range. These took a bit longer, maybe 12 hours but had much better texture and flavor. I think the little brisket dries out before the toughness gets cooked out. If I did a little guy again, I'd probably foil it after 2 or 3 hours.[p]Paul

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,[p]your time to temp ratio is really strange. i'm perplexed as to why it would have taken 12.5 hours. maybe one of the eggsperts can try to figure that one out!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    SirKeats,
    Maybe the meat thermometer was goofy?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,
    ive never cooked one less than 6.5 pounds and that one came out a little dry. it was good chopped up and reheated with sauce for sandwhiches though. i dont think the charts work well with the smaller sizes as well as with different grades. best thing is to always cook the same size and the same grade and an 8 pound flat or a whole packer works best for me.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,
    I think you cooked it to long. I would have cooked it just until it reched 160 and then foiled it and cooked it for about 3 more hours, at hat time open the foil and see if it seperates with the twist of an inserted fork. I cook 5-7 lb'rs (still S nmall ) usingthis process for a total of -5-7 hour and they are almost always tender. Use indirect cooking.

• Texas Geezer
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger, don't feel bad. I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me about two weeks ago. And I started out with one of the itty-bitty ones, too. It took forever, and ended up being very tough. There's something about those small briskets that just doesn't behave according to brisket wisdom...

• EggSport
    EggSport Posts: 33
    Options
    1)I would sure check that same thermometer in boiling water to see how close it is.
    2)My guess is that things got too hot, too fast and sealed the outside (somehow affecting the internal temp reading. Maybe the probe tip was in a layer of fat/collagen. The reason I say this is that after you foiled it things seemd to go more normally.
    3)Particularly with a smaller brisket, it would be important to put it in the BGE cold (right out of the fridge) and as quickly after lighting as you can to let it take on smoke down in the 150*F range as things heat up.
    5)Hold the dome temp lower, perhaps 230*F max. I just did a 14+lb whole brisket in 13 1/2 hours and it came out very well. Any minor issues were definitely the result of letting the early temp (dome) get up between 250* and 275*F. That just seals the outside too fast.

Just weigh this in with your own thoughts and adjust your cooking accordingly. There are just too many variables with brisket to cast things in concrete.

The next one will be better for sure!
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,[p]I have never been able to get anything less than 5-6 pounds to turn out decent. I now go with whole briskets and foodsaver the remains for a later date and get a much better finished product!
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,
    Make sure you buy USDA choice briskets. If you bought at Wally world or even some grocery stores it could have been select. I have never had a sucessful cook with a select grade brisket. Try Sams or Costco for your briskets. They sell both USDA choice whole or flat briskets at good prices. Smoking tender and moist briskets can be difficult. It takes some practice. Good luck to you in the future. Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,
    I am sure the temp is correct because I checked it with my thrmapen when I took it out and it was 197. Perhaps I should rap such a small piece earlier like advised.

• Unknown
    Options
    It did plato at about 160 for alooong time. In the meantime does anyone need a hocky puck or perhaps a club? Leave your address and I will mail this bad boy to yah. LOL
  • Unknown
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,[p]For a 2lbs brisket, you way overcooked it at 12.5 hours. You would be hard pressed to reasonably insert a meat temperature probe into a 2lbs brisket and get reliable data. Ill bet you weren't getting good temp reading from the probe, then when you checked it with thermapen or whatnot you saw "197" but it could have and I'll bet "197 degrees" for quite some time.

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    bbq2.jpg
    <p />NorthWoodsEgger.,
    I agree with the wrap early theory, even if the fat side was up. Brisket "flats" down here in the south are notorious for drying out before reaching done. Even on my old "Grandad Pit" which uses charcoal like a Weber, I always just cook them for about 3 to 5 hours(indirect) to apply smoke and get a bark, then wrap them until tender and juicy. Haven't won any contests with them, but I've had countless "damn this is good" comments from friends and family.[p]And for Pete's sake, don't boil them first!

• ronbeaux
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    And by the way, No matter how much I love my large and small egg, I will never part with the 50 year old pit my Grandad made and handed down to me. Thing is, when I'm about gone, I know I can hand down the eggs and the grandad pit to my sons.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    that thing is cool...
    what's the set up? i thought it looked like an egg, only iron.[p]very cool.
    i like the expanded mesh!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    bbq3.jpg
    <p />stike,
    OK here is the deal. This is Top Secret! The top is flat with spring assist and an adjustable smoke stack. The expanded metal is an upgrade to stainless since the other burned out long ago. The fire pan is made from an old Jobox, basically heavy guage metal, and rides on a shaft allowing it to be positioned at any point from all the way down to the bottom to right up under the grid. It uses a cable and pulley system to accomplish this. The side box is just for warming and does not expose the food to the smoke or fire. It has large casters on it since 5 people can't move this thing without them. Only drawback to it is that a turkey will not fit under the lid since it is flat. Otherwise, I have cooked on this for over 20 years, mostly burgers, ribs, brisket, chicken, vegetables, etc.[p]Apparently my grandad was "ahead of his time" as the variety of cooking positions allows for different techniques and exposure to the heat. The bottom is nothing but an open hole that I use different sizes of foil to cover and control draft, unlike the Weber with the adjustable slide. [p]This is precisely why it took me two years to decide on the egg, and now that I have discovered lump charcoal, the pit is even better![p]I still wouldn't trade off the eggs though.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    that's great
    very cool that you still use it. grand dad would be thrilled....[p]hat's off.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,
    The only thing you did wrong was trying to BBQ that tiny piece of brisket trimmings. You wouldn't practice for whole chickens by cooking just the beaks, go out and get yourself a whole packer and follow that same method, you'll do just fine.[p]Cheers
    C~Q

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger.,[p]Since no one has really mentioned this, here goes...[p]Actually, those little briskets take just as long as the larger ones. You didn't overcook it based on your temps. You can't use the 1-2 hrs per pound rule with them, because it takes just as long for them to break down and it doesn't really matter that it's smaller. [p]Most likely the reason that it was tough was that it was trimmed up so much that there was hardly any fat left. [p]Doesn't sound like YOU did anything wrong, except pick a 2 lb brisket to cook. Keep looking, or ask your butcher (if you're lucky enough to have one) or meat department in the grocery store to get you a whole brisket next time.[p]Tonia
    :~)