Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Design Draft/Need Input

Options
Here's a rough draft of the outdoor kitchen layout I'm thinking about building.  The concrete pad is 14x14 with water, electric and sewer drain.  I have a sink, frig, propane single burner and a large and small BGE in the design.  Any ideas or suggestions could be helpful.  Anyone have an outdoor kitchen in a L shape design.  Pictures would be appreciate.   Before I do the kitchen I intend to put up a covered gable roof pergola with 6.12 pitch, 8" cedar post and shingles to match house. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    It looks great.
    I have a good outdoor cooking area, not nearly as nice as yours will be.
    The only thing I would be sure of is to make sure you have really good lighting.
    Not being able to see the egg grid during night cooks is extremely frustrating and has caused me numerous cooking mistakes.
    I plan to rectify this before summer season sets in.........I've suffered too long. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Nothing to add but bumping this in hopes of good responses.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning ob:

Here is my set-up...I don't have the "bar" but otherwise really like the "L" shape...Having a large sink is great (mine is 19" square) for easy cleanup...I do have a old full-size refrigerator too (my back was against it when the picture was taken)...we had years of great use out of it...not much I would have done differently.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    I started a similar thread a few weeks ago. Mine will be an L-shape as well, but the "short" leg of the L will be mostly for seating... and probably beer dispensing with a kegerator below the counter.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The corner is basically dead space and an Egg works wonderfully in there. It will give you more useable counter space.  
    That's exactly what the Outdoor Kitchen Store (Tampa) said to me. Sound reasoning.

@ob, @Thatgrimguy, you guys both did (or are doing) a single burner and no gasser. Any reason? Do you wish you did? I expect to use the grill a lot with a CI griddle, which would work just as well on burners, so I'm conflicted. I'm thinking about resale, I guess.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @DeltaNu1142  I have a dual burner in mine.  I wish it was more powerful. It's weak.  But past that it's perfect. No need for more, but I have used both eyes often. I think the stove a big plus. I fry on it, I sear my steaks on it. I love it.

As far as a gasser (gas grill) I have never once wished for one. I do have a blackstone griddle though. I got it a year after doing this so it's just chilling on the deck in the corner. I think that would be an AWESOME addition if you can find room.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Last thing I would be building a outdoor kitchen for is resale. If you are planning on moving soon then just put them in a nest. If you plan on staying then build what YOU want NOT what you THINK they next person might want...just my .02
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, I suppose that's true. I'm building my backyard up because I expect to be here for a while.

Thatgrimguy said:
    As far as a gasser (gas grill) I have never once wished for one. I do have a blackstone griddle though. I got it a year after doing this so it's just chilling on the deck in the corner. I think that would be an AWESOME addition if you can find room.
    Well, I had always thought a flat top griddle would get more use than a gas grill. But then I thought I could just use a CI griddle. So I'm waffling between gas grill with CI, or flat top SS griddle, and now maybe... dual-burner with CI. I'd also looked at some burner/griddle combos. But they're spendy.

@ob, I don't want to hijack your thread, I just didn't get that info in my thread.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Yes, I suppose that's true. I'm building my backyard up because I expect to be here for a while.

Thatgrimguy said:
    Well, I had always thought a flat top griddle would get more use than a gas grill. But then I thought I could just use a CI griddle. So I'm waffling between gas grill with CI, or flat top SS griddle, and now maybe... dual-burner with CI. I'd also looked at some burner/griddle combos. But they're spendy.

@ob, I don't want to hijack your thread, I just didn't get that info in my thread.
    Look into this bad boy. I'm having it built into my Shirley trailer.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Expedition-Burner-Stove/dp/B00A0M2P4C

They make lots of awesome accessories, that let you use it as a 12", 24" or 36" griddle, a 24" gas grill, a stove (30k btu per burner) or even a pizza oven. It's also relatively portable which is nice.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    That's versatile... now, give me that, built-in!  B)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    That's versatile... now, give me that, built-in!  B)
    That's easy enough. Build it in!
  • annjamaican
    Options
    All your setups are so amazing! Making me feel inadequate with my single, freestanding egg on the deck.
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hello. I am in the planning process of my project and have quite a few questions. First, I have been searching on the internet and cannot find a DIY forum directed specifically toward outdoor kitchens and bbq island construction and design. Does anybody know of one? Also, I have noticed most islands are based on galvanized studs or block foundations and I was wondering if I could weld a frame out of square tubing, seems easier and sturdier to me ex display kitchens Glasgow. I was wondering why more people don't do it this way or if there was a downside to it. Thats it, for now, Thanks in advance for the help.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Hello. I am in the planning process of my project and have quite a few questions. First, I have been searching on the internet and cannot find a DIY forum directed specifically toward outdoor kitchens and bbq island construction and design. Does anybody know of one? Also, I have noticed most islands are based on galvanized studs or block foundations and I was wondering if I could weld a frame out of square tubing, seems easier and sturdier to me ex display kitchens Glasgow. I was wondering why more people don't do it this way or if there was a downside to it. Thats it, for now, Thanks in advance for the help.
    I lurk in this FB group. "outdoor kitchen and bar" 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/251573599475034
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 366
    Options
    Suggestion - change your narrower counters to at least 30". It makes a difference.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    I think a shortcoming that pops up after a build is to have ample counter space adjoining the Egg. Meaning: there are always platters, utensils, pepper mills, cutting boards, or your cocktail in use when cooking and they need a place to rest preferably immediately next to your BBQ. I would make the Egg side longer if this were my house.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @ob  My son builds custom outdoor kitchens and the appliances you add should match your cooking needs and how you plan to use the space.  If you are just building a cooking station your space is adequate but if you plan to eat outside and/or add a tv and outdoor furniture then I would recommend a minimum of 20’ x 20’.  Think kitchen, dining and family room in one space.  The latest trend is to build in a power burner instead of regular 2 burner setup.  It allows you to fry, wok, gumbo, jambalaya, etc.   As for construction he recommends 100% brick or thin concrete blocks with real stone faces.  It doesn’t cost any more than wood with a stacked stone or other surface.  Here are some ideas:

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    OP asked in 2016.  Maybe he can show is what he built and provide feedback for future builders?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Average home ownership is less than 7 years.  Maybe another egger moved into his place and can show us?
    Clinton, Iowa