Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC 20 - Hot Water Test

I used my RTIC 20 along with my Anova to sous vide a brisket for 40 hours.  After I pulled the brisket out I decided to see how long the water would stay warm.  Here are the results:

1/16/16  11:36 am 144 degrees
1/16/16  2:26 pm   134 degrees
1/16/16  4:35 pm    132 degrees
1/16/16 7:40 pm     126 degrees
1/17/16 9:41 am     106 degrees

Around Noon today I dumped the water but it was still 104.  I'm not sure that this proves anything but I was impressed that it held the water temperature as well as it did.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice, can you post a pic of your Above/RTIC setup? I've got both but haven't used them together.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I didn't take any pictures but I had to attach the Anova clamp to the lip on the front of the RTIC because the sides are too wide for the clamp of the sous vide.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Belmont, NC

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I didn't take any pictures but I had to attach the Anova clamp to the lip on the front of the RTIC because the sides are too wide for the clamp of the sous vide.
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    How was the brisket?
  • The brisket was amazing. Second one I've done with sous vide then on to Egg for some bark. Left over brisket chili today.

Belmont, NC

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Can you go into more detail about your technique in terms of times and temps?  I'm assuming you SV'd at 144 x 40 hours?

Was the brisket able to be handled at that point or was it starting to get delicate?

How long did you smoke it?  Normal set up?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • I trimmed the "bad" fat off the brisket, rubbed with John Henry's Brisket Rub, vac sealed it and into the RTIC 20 with the Anova setup.  I actually cooked it at 150 degrees for 40 hours, by the time I thought about doing a hot water test the temp had dropped since I was working on the brisket.

The brisket was a little delicate but it was by no means falling apart.  I reapplied some Brisket Rub and put it on the adjustable rig for about 4 hours or so.  I buddy and I were drinking so time kind of got away from me.  It was really good.  I think it is kind of cheating but I have not had good luck with brisket so this way I get a good end product.

Belmont, NC

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Great to know.. I was staring at my rtic 20 the other day, and my annova and wondering if I could make them work together, and skip out on the large stock pot for the water bath live I have done before..

Won't do a brisket, but really nice to know it'll fit and hold great temps, for when I have a larger gathering and want to toss steaks in.. Works great when you've got a bunch of prime costco cuts already frozen and vac sealed to just toss into the water bath!

Was it a real long time to heat the bath, or did you preheat the water already?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • I started with hot tap water.  My water from the tap gets to about 114 so it took a while to heat up but not awfully long.

Belmont, NC

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    @Hokie_Smoker Did you happen to take any pictures that show the bark?

• You'll have to excuse the quality control pulling of the meat.  It may have to do with 3 guys drinking whatever is in that lowball all afternoon before watching football.

Belmont, NC