Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear With CI Pan Suggestions

Options
I was in Vegas this week and had a killer Bone In ribeye seared at 1700 degrees (so they claim).  I typically sear on CI with a spider but am thinking about cranking up a CI pan with a bit of oil for the sear to take it up a notch tonight.  Any suggestions?
Milton, GA.

Comments

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I meant to say I typically sear on a CI grate.
    Milton, GA.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Are you talking about on the stovetop? We did that last night with sous vide Costco Prime ribeye steaks right from Kenji Lopez-Alt's online Sous Vide Steak Primer, and it was FANTASTIC!
    Judy in San Diego
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If I'm reverse searing, I'd hot tub at 110 for an hour then pat meat dry, oil the meat, not the pan. Get the pan screaming hot, I've measured mine in the 700 degree range, then 2 min/side for a good crust. Top with butter. 

If if you oil the pan, it will either burn or the fire will jump into the pan. Don't ask how I know. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I've done that too. The even char on a flat CI pan is superior to grill marks, or the uneven char from caveman style. Go for it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Steak seared in a CI pan is awesome.  One tip is you might want to use oil with a higher smoke point.  Light olive oil (not extra virgin) works well.   Also it can take a while for the pan to heat up.  If cooking on the egg perhaps you could set the skillet on the CI grid down on the spider and then set up the indirect rig above it if that will fit.   That way the skillet can be heating during the indirect part.  

The stove also works fine if you wanted to do the indirect portion on the egg and then finish it inside.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    If thick steak... my method is is to reverse sear your steak up to about 10 degree before your target temp.   Then amp it up and pan sear your steak at around 600.  I use pat of butter with 3 minutes per side.  

If thin like skirt steak... just 3 minutes per side to 140 - 150. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I am going to do it all on the egg.  I will set a CI pan on the spider down low and let it get nice and hot.  I will start the steak on the AR up high and roast using the pan to make it an indirect. Also going to do a few shrimp on skewers.  Will take some pics. @theyolksonyou Thanks for the tip on oiling the steak - I'm sure I would have lit myself up trying to oil the pan.

Milton, GA.