Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Peppers

Options
SloMo
SloMo Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recommendation on tempature to smoke peppers? Have several kinds. Got all peppers off plants this weekend with the wonderful 28* and raining weather.
SloMo

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SloMo,
    I think indirect at 200, or whatever you can comfortably maintain with clean smoke. We had a guy who posted for a while (last year) "michael", who smoked a bunch of habaneros, and had great results. He used pecan wood, and kept a bit under 200 over a drip pan for overnight.[p]What kind of wood you using?? What will you do with the final product?? I would like to do this someday soon so I would love to hear how it goes.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    SloMo,[p]I've been smoking jalapenos (chipotle) for several years with good results. Just keep the temps low (225* or so) and experiment with your favorite chips. I like apple and cherry. In 3 to 4 hours they will become blackish brown and very dry. You might want to remove the seeds and veins first or they will become unusually "potent".[p]K~G

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    SloMo, Check out Randy`s site on Chipotles...[p]Mop

[ul][li]Randy`s Site[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    KennyG, I cut them in half, lengthwise, and stem & seed OUTSIDE, AND use rubber gloves. As you know, I've been in the pepper biz for 12 years; I have made ALL of the mistakes.... Your pal, Julia

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]I learned the hard way that rubber gloves use is an excellent idea. And then there was that vaca to New Orleans, when after sampling hot sauces and drinking hurricanes all afternoon, I had to use the young man's necessary facility.....[p]K~G
  • SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    SloMo,
    Thanks all for the info. Since I cook low & slow the temp should not be a problem. I made a "fish grid" out of hardware cloth and will use it with a plate setter and pecan chips, (I like the flavor of pecan). Will let you know how it turns out. Will do the smoke after T Day weekend have to go to KY with Red. Have already smoked a 19 lb. ham, and 3 turkey breasts, (1 for my folks and the other 2 and ham for KY).
    Thnks agian for the info and have a great T Day.
    SloMo[p]